PDA

View Full Version : The history and future of the Assault Weapons ban in California

shopkeep
05-12-2006, 1:47 AM
What we're looking at here is simply a repeat of 1990. They passed the Roberti Roos ban, we found a way around it. The DOJ could have listed FAL clones, G3 clones, and everything back in 1990 using the court add-on process. They didn't. Eventually the public, legislature, and media got tired of seeing piles of "Assault Weapons" at various gun shows and gun stores. SB-23 was enacted to "solve" this problem.

2006 rolls around, Californian gun owners have found a way to outsmart the Assault Weapons ban again. To be more chronologically accurate, people have been building FALs and the M-96 has been here earlier than 2006 but the DOJ has a special fixation on AR-15 and AK-47 rifles. Once again, the DOJ has the option to list these copies this time using a simplified process. And again, they decided not to list.

What will happen will be a repeat of 1990, the DOJ will essentially be giving the green light for manufacturers and FFLs to bring AR-15 and AK-47 rifles into every gun store and gun show in the state. 30,000 will be just the tip of a much larger iceberg. Even if these rifles are limited to gripless configuration, I would expect thousands of stripped recievers and rifles to enter the state anyways.

Eventually, just like before the media and public will become outraged over these new "Assault Weapons" that are "Assault Weapons" because they have the "capacity" to become "Assault Weapons". Legislation and/or regulations will be passed at that time (perhaps in 2009) to ban these newest additions to gun safes all over the state.

Then years later, Californian gun owners will ONCE AGAIN find a new way to get these suckers back into the state.

Moral of the Story: The DOJ has a few guys who work 9-5 during weekdays and get holidays off working on banning these. The Legislature occaisionally takes an interest in this if there's votes to be gained or a tough election year. Californian Gun Owners outnumber them by 1,000 to 1 and we've got the internet and 24/7 365 days a year to find new ways to get these into the state lawfully. End of story :D!

chris
05-12-2006, 3:45 AM
IMO SB23 was written is the wake of the hollywood shootout. i know we all remember that one. it showed that the original ban was ineffective and they needed something with more teeth. also they had their patsy in office gray ban em all davis. i do love the fact that American business has found away around a ridiculous law. this is just my opinion and remember the author of the law Don "I have CCW" Perata. BTW where is this guy he has not wrote any bills banning guns for a while. maybe he had a stroke and is a complete retard.

i would just hope that maybe one day we can get rid of some these laws that are clearly aimed at us the lawfull public.