PDA

View Full Version : Juniors hunting alone?

jeager
05-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Can a 15 year old and his buddy, who has passed a hunter safety course and has a valid hunting license, hunt pheasant alone, ie, without an adult? I can't find any code stating he can't, nor can any of the local gun shops I've checked with tell me he can't. Know the answer?

Thanks in advance!

metalhead357
05-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Minors cant legally posses firearms.......

the rest that follows then/therefore is moot if'n an adult aint around:cool:

xenophobe
05-12-2006, 1:16 AM
Maybe on private property with permission from parents and the landowner, but I doubt it. Certainly not on public land.

FreedomIsNotFree
05-12-2006, 1:24 AM

Minors can legally posses firearms.

FreedomIsNotFree
05-12-2006, 1:25 AM
Can a 15 year old and his buddy, who has passed a hunter safety course and has a valid hunting license, hunt pheasant alone, ie, without an adult? I can't find any code stating he can't, nor can any of the local gun shops I've checked with tell me he can't. Know the answer?

Thanks in advance!

You have to be at least 16 to hunt alone. Otherwise you must be with an adult over 21.

On private property there is no age requirement.

metalhead357
05-12-2006, 5:58 AM
Minors can legally posses firearms.

Please provide the penal code number/section that expresses this:confused: I aint ever seen it. No one under 21 may lawfully own a handgun..... now while mom/dad might *give* a rifle to a minor it aint technically thiers until 18. And as Xeno~ said it aint happening on public land.............

jeager~ Be CAREFULL soliciting legal advice on all this...it is YOUR BUTT on the line if someone provides info you follow and it ends up being wrong..............better to error on the side of caution than spend a fortune on a lawyer digging ya' outta out of some hole that's been dug.

Just my $0.02

FreedomIsNotFree
05-12-2006, 6:46 AM
Please provide the penal code number/section that expresses this:confused: I aint ever seen it. No one under 21 may lawfully own a handgun..... now while mom/dad might *give* a rifle to a minor it aint technically thiers until 18. And as Xeno~ said it aint happening on public land.............

jeager~ Be CAREFULL soliciting legal advice on all this...it is YOUR BUTT on the line if someone provides info you follow and it ends up being wrong..............better to error on the side of caution than spend a fortune on a lawyer digging ya' outta out of some hole that's been dug.

Just my $0.02

Wait a second...since when does the legislature pass laws that "allow" particular action?

They pass laws that prohibit specific types of action. If you dont see a law against it, then that means it is legal. Please point to the code that outlaws minors from possessing firearms.

The closest you will get is 12101 which speaks to a pistol, revolver, or
other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=44561613727+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

Please read it because you are off in terms of what age and where a minor can possess even a handgun.

For example it is legal for a 16 year old to possess a handgun, without an adult, on PUBLIC land as long as he/she has their parents written
permission and they are in the course of some activity, hunting or shooting, that is legal.

There are no direct restrictions on juveniles possessing rifles or shotguns without parental permission or supervision.

Remeber that owning and possessing are two different things.

Hunter
05-12-2006, 7:17 AM
check here for a better read of 12101 as it applies to minors.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12101.htm

Hunter
05-12-2006, 7:34 AM

Wrong.

Minor can possess firearms on loan to them for specific activities like hunting. Long guns can be "loan" indefinitely to the minor and handguns only for the duration of the activity if the loans are from the parent or guardian. If they are from another adult, then only for 30 days for longguns and 10 days for the handgun. In this case, the minor must have written permission from parents to accept the loaned guns.

Hunter
05-12-2006, 8:21 AM

Thanks in advance!

The short answer is YES.

I talked to the Dept of Fish and Game this morning (with S. Wilson) at the License Branch in Sacramento (916-227-2245). They stated that there is NO Fish and Game regulation that restricts any minor from hunting alone. Basically they stated it was up to the parent to determine if the minor was responsible to handle the firearm alone.

So the only restrictions on minors to hunt alone are with the use of handguns and that has already been stated here (16 or older). And in that case it is a state law and not a F&G Reg.

So make sure the minor has a written person letter from parent/guardian saying is he authorized to process the shotgun for hunting and he should be good to go.

They did caution to check your local city/county for any restrictions.

Tyler
05-12-2006, 9:16 AM
I was hunting alone at the age of 12, and most people I know, who hunt, where doing the same around that age.

pepsi2451
05-12-2006, 9:25 AM

Just my $0.02

Actually you have to be 21 to buy a handgun. You can own and posses one at 18. I'm 20 and I own two, you have to get a handgun safety certificate and it has to be given to you by a parent or grandparent. Then you send a form to the DOJ with $19.

I was hunting alone at the age of 12, and most people I know, who hunt, where doing the same around that age.

I to have been hunting alone since I was 12.

metalhead357
05-12-2006, 3:50 PM
Ahhhhh, methinks me see the conundrum...... as posted vs meant and/or posess vs own. Sounds like we all were sorta right :p

12101. (a)(1) A minor shall not possess a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person. (
2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply if one of the following circumstances exists:
(A) The minor is accompanied by..............
(B) The minor is accompanied by a responsible adult, the minor has the prior written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian,........ (C) The minor is at least 16 years of age..............
(D) ......... the minor is on lands owned or lawfully possessed by his or her parent or legal guardian,..............

(f) It is not the intent of the Legislature in enacting the amendments to this section or to Section 12078 to expand or narrow the application of current statutory or judicial authority as to the rights of minors to be loaned or to possess live ammunition or a firearm for the purpose of self-defense or the defense of others
Sooooooo, still, as said- methinks we're all arguing over minutia.....as the question was posed for a FIFTEEN year old. And as posted- no mention on/of whether public or private land~ nor written consent.....

The rest.........own vs. posses, I plead nothing but late night posting & the need for rest! Ya' got me on that one:o as I aint ever seen/heard/ know of a 15, 16, 17 year old being able to walk in, certificate or not, and be able to PURCHASE a weapon (bump that to 21 for a handgun). Now as for 'posessing' it as in a gift from the parents? I aint ever heard why that cant be done...........

Certainly SOUNDS like if'n ya' wanna jump through all those hoops then you're good to go; me-hopes ya' dont run into a LEO or F&G while out there as I'm sure they too would probably have to "look into the matter" with said gun in custody. I hope/pray I'm wrong~ but this is Arnie's Kali after all that we're talking about.......:cool: