PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21 ambi mag release

MASTERLAB
09-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Hey everyone, ive been looking at purchaceing a Glock 21 for its reliability and because i like the 45 acp round. im left handed and i found one on gunbroker with an ambi mag release, however, the owner will not sell to california because the ambi mag release somehow makes this gun illegal. can anyone explain why the mag release on a pistol would make a difference on the legality.

cmace22
09-02-2010, 11:11 AM
California sucks!!!!!

Manufacturers have to submit samples for testing with the CA DOJ. If a model is not submitted fails or doesnt meet the requirement it does not get on the list. Since the G21 and all Glocks for that matter do not have a mag disconnect any new models will not be approved. Also since the CA DOJ deemed the ambi version of the G21 to be enough of a change to classify it as a new model and thus not allowing it to piggy back on the old G21 certification.

Hope this helps

PPT and LEO are the only way to go on these.

vta
09-02-2010, 11:13 AM
is the ambi mag release an aftermarket mod or does it is a glock factory option? i know the 4th gen glocks have ambi mag releases and those are not CA legal.

if its an aftermarket mod, why not just buy a glock 21 here and upgrade it yourself?

MASTERLAB
09-02-2010, 11:16 AM
its factory glock, why is 4th gen illegal?

cmace22
09-02-2010, 11:17 AM
is the ambi mag release an aftermarket mod or does it is a glock factory option? i know the 4th gen glocks have ambi mag releases and those are not CA legal.

if its an aftermarket mod, why not just buy a glock 21 here and upgrade it yourself?

The G21sf come in 2 ambi models from the factory. One with a glock rail and one with a picatinny rail.

Moding a non ambi g21 would take some major cutting and fab work IMO

vta
09-02-2010, 11:17 AM

not on the CA approved roster. unless you are exempt such as LEO, you need can only buy guns from the roster.

cmace22
09-02-2010, 11:18 AM

California sucks!!!!!

Manufacturers have to submit samples for testing with the CA DOJ. If a model is not submitted fails or doesnt meet the requirement it does not get on the list. Since the G21 and all Glocks for that matter do not have a mag disconnect any new models will not be approved. Also since the CA DOJ deemed the ambi version of the G21 to be enough of a change to classify it as a new model and thus not allowing it to piggy back on the old G21 certification.

Hope this helps

PPT and LEO are the only way to go on these.

MASTERLAB
09-02-2010, 11:27 AM
ok, that helps explain alot, thanks for the support, im very frustrated with cali land right now

vta
09-02-2010, 11:29 AM
he probably only saw your 'california sucks' comment since you were probably editing your post when he asked that.

i would look for a Glock21SF with ambi here within CA. Try the Private Firearm Sales section and maybe also post a Want To Buy thread.

BTW, Welcome to CalGuns.net.

asme
09-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Quite a few G21s with ambi mag releases were sold unintentionally in state, the purchasers being given "amnesty" by the DOJ because gun shops made a boo-boo. It's not a wild unicorn like a Gen 4 Glock :)

I'm pretty sure you could find one through a private party transfer if you check classifieds like a hawk.

vta
09-02-2010, 11:39 AM
we are all working within the confines defined by our anti 2A legislators here at calguns. we have been able to do a lot without breaking any laws. just look at how many AR Pistols are now legally owned by us :)

if you are not dead set on Glocks, there are many other reliable polymer pistols that chamber the 45ACP that are much easier to find.

DRAB_81
09-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey everyone, ive been looking at purchaceing a Glock 21 for its reliability and because i like the 45 acp round. im left handed and i found one on gunbroker with an ambi mag release, however, the owner will not sell to california because the ambi mag release somehow makes this gun illegal. can anyone explain why the mag release on a pistol would make a difference on the legality.

Since you're left handed, try releasing the magazine with your trigger finger. It may be unorthodox, but when I had my G21SF ambi/pic rail model, I used my trigger finger to drop mags. It felt WAY more natural, and I didn't have to shift my grip at all to do it. When I drop mags using the standard Glock mag release, I have to alter my grip to use my thumb.

There have also been some issues with the ambi release failing. Probably not as bad as the interweb hysteria suggests though. Mine was sticky, and I had to push up on the bottom to release a full mag, but it never failed. Pretty much the only state where people WANT to buy it, is CA, and that's mainly because we can't get it as easily. Go over to glocktalk and do a search, it seems like you couldn't pay someone that lives outside of CA to take one of those. In CA they sell for $650+, out of state they get less than what everyone else in the country refers to as the "CA model" (standard mag release). All that aside, I REALLY miss that gun. Good luck, and good choice going with a Glock...

cmace22
09-02-2010, 11:50 AM
One for sale here on Calguns

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=337514&highlight=g21sf

mcat707
09-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Also one for sale here::D

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=337458

till44
09-02-2010, 2:04 PM
Or mine: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=328167 If you're in the SF bay area send me a PM.

MASTERLAB
09-02-2010, 2:44 PM
would it be legal for an LEO to purchase a 4th gen Glock 21 and then sell it to me

cmace22
09-02-2010, 2:44 PM
If he bought it for himself and decided he didnt want it anymore. The yes he could sell you his gun. But he cant buy it for you......

vta
09-02-2010, 2:51 PM
would it be legal for an LEO to purchase a 4th gen Glock 21 and then sell it to me

it is all about the 'intent of his purchase'. He can not buy it with the intent to sell it to you. That would be a type of 'straw purchase'. it is however very hard to prove and not very enforceable. A real straw purchase is more meant to prevent people who are otherwise unable to buy themselves (convicted felon, underage, etc..) and has another person buy for them and transfer possession of the firearm without a FFL.

Quiet
09-02-2010, 6:03 PM
You'll have to wait a couple of years for a Glock 21Gen4.
Expected release time frame is 2011/2012.

The ambi-mag release Glocks have been "discontinued" for the North American market. Ambi-mag release MB Glocks are still available in the EU.

Corbin Dallas
09-02-2010, 6:22 PM

Why don't you just use your left middle finger to release the magazine?

I'm right handed and use my right middle finger to release the mag on my 21SF ambi.

I think you lefties have it better than us righties, we have to reach our thumb around the grip and hit the button. You just need to move your middle finger up and you're done.

Try it.

Malthusian
09-02-2010, 6:41 PM
You did not state the area you reside in
I also happen to know of another in the Bay arean

MASTERLAB
09-02-2010, 10:50 PM
i usually do use my trigger finger, i was just interested in the option of being able to use the gun the same with both hands and curious as to why the mag release would be illegal in calfornia, i think that that has been sufficently explained, as frustrating as the truth is

its good to know about the intent to purchase, i dont want anyone to get in trouble on my behalf, so i know now not to pursue that

im still saving up so itll probable be another 2 months before im ready to purchase, im just doing all of my research right now

i live in the south bay area, just outside of LA

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone