View Full Version : Gunsmith Tools

05-11-2006, 10:06 PM
As one who is new to the C&R game, I'm just starting to build my collection. It would seem that from the research I'm doing that I'll need some REAL gunsmithing tools to disassemble/reassemble these rifles for cleaning so I don't screw something up (my shop teacher always told me to make sure you use the right tool for the job!). Also, I just like tools :) . That being said, here are my questions:
1. What are the "must have" tools
2. Where can ya get 'em?
3. Does anyone know of a gunsmith tool kit that has most of the needed tools
in it for a starter kit?

05-12-2006, 6:05 AM
A really good set of gunsmith screwdrivers. Used first and last on every gun repair. Everyone notices buggered up screwheads.

05-12-2006, 9:39 AM
heres a few places you can look:

05-12-2006, 12:46 PM
I also get a lot of use out a set of gunsmith screwdrivers. After that, it's probably punches (including brass and nylon), then files, taps, etc. Once you've got the screwdrivers and punches, it's a good idea to buy stuff as you need it. Next comes some chemicals, like acraglas and other glues, bluing stuff, etc.

Don't forget the old joke:

Q: How do you make a small fortune as a gunsmith?

A: Start with a large one!

Here's an old post from a 'smith who used to be a regular on rec.guns, when asked what the basic 'smithing tools were.

Small 3 oz. bronze hammer, medium sized hammer with one brass tipped head and one nylon head.
A set of well-made steel drift punches
A pack of 400 wet-or-dry sand paper
A pack of 0000 (or 4/0) steel wool
A set of GOOD needle files, double or triple up on the number of 1/4" wide x
1/8" thick pillar files. Most used file in the place...
Do NOT buy cheap foreign files, of any kind...
A strong, heavy, big, heavy bench vise. Did I say heavy? And well made? If you pay less than $135 for it, chances are at some time you'll wish you had a GOOD vise! Second most used item in the shop...
A Palmgren bench vise.
A rawhide hammer - essential!
A set of flip up magnifying glasses, that mount around the head. About 2 1/2 power.
Denim shop apron.
Couple of thousand Q-tips.
One can of Gun Scubber.
One Super set of Magna-tip screwdiver tips, with two handles.
Small can of Birchwood Casey's "Sheath".
One bottle each of Brownell's Dicropan T-4 Touchup , Brownells Oxpho-Bluecreme and Brownells Formula 44/40 bluing solution. You'll find they all act differently...
Small spray can of Boeshield T-9 Corrosion Preventative and lubrication.
A couple or three different sized pin vises.
A set of drill blanks.
If you can afford 'em, a set of Deltronics (or similar) pins, in the range from .015 to .250, in .001" increments, as a minimum. You don't NEED 'em, but they ARE handy, to check hole sizes...
A good 0-1" micrometer. A good set of 0-6" dial calipers.

Oh yeah, a Brownells catalog!