PDA

View Full Version : Need a reasonably priced 5-6" 22LR revolver that is ON the roster

BiggSean
09-02-2010, 8:21 AM
I need to pick up a reasonably priced ($300-400) 5-6" 22lr revolver for my wife to use to dispose of rattlesnakes. She has been using my Ruger GP100 .357, but the ammo is getting expensive, and we have had a LOT of rattlers lately. She's also not great at handling the recoil from it.

I looked around on the roster at the popular brands (Taurus, Ruger and S&W) and the only model I could find which met my criteria was a S&W 17-9, which is a pricey gun.

Any suggestions?

nn3453
09-02-2010, 8:24 AM
Single action okay? You should be able to find a nice used single six for 200 bucks OTD if you look.

lmudave
09-02-2010, 8:26 AM
I'd go with a Ruger Single Six if it's just for Rattlers.

BiggSean
09-02-2010, 8:28 AM
A single six would be great. I've been keeping my eye open for a while on here but haven't had any luck as of yet.

Ed_Hazard
09-02-2010, 8:48 AM
Puma/Legacy has that new full sized single action 22LR out now. They retail for around $219 at Turners. I picked one up a while ago and it works just fine. Not going to win any bullseye competitions with it, but makes a deceant kit gun.

Homebrew2
09-02-2010, 9:10 AM
Puma/Legacy ...

Would you rate the new Puma better quality than the Heritage line?

acourvil
09-02-2010, 9:15 AM
S&W Model 63 w/ 5" barrel would be a good choice, but it's likely to be in the $500+ price range.

olhunter
09-02-2010, 9:16 AM
Do you reload or know someone? You can make up some really lightweight .38 snake-shot loads that won't recoil much more than a .22. Good snake medicine.

If not, look at the Heritage Rough Rider revolvers too ($200 at Oak Tree). Inexpensive and will work nice on snakes. The .22 shot-shells are just about worthless though.

Ed_Hazard
09-02-2010, 9:20 AM
It's a lot better than the heritage line. I'm a big guy so Bearcats have always been to small for me. Bought a Rough Rider to use and was never really happy with the guns performance and feel.

The Legacy is a full size gun, loads from the half cock position and has not had any issues through two bricks of federal bulk ammo. The action was pretty rough at first but cleaned up quite a bit after regular use. It does have a hideous intrernal lock on the left recoil sheild, looks like a vampire attacked it, but have never had any issues with the locking mechanism itself.

The finish is basic black that looks like it came out of a rattle can of krylon, but hey it's a $200 gun. This gun is fun to shoot, fits my hand well and points pretty easy. It fits the nitch of a truck gun that I was looking for. It usually ride in the back of my truck next to an older Marlin Model 60, shoots when I need it to and I wont be crying over the bumps and scratches it will pick up.

BiggSean
09-02-2010, 9:27 AM
Do you reload or know someone? You can make up some really lightweight .38 snake-shot loads that won't recoil much more than a .22. Good snake medicine.

If not, look at the Heritage Rough Rider revolvers too ($200 at Oak Tree). Inexpensive and will work nice on snakes. The .22 shot-shells are just about worthless though.

Hmmm, I have a pretty decent stockpile of 22 shot shells. If they are worthless against Rattlers, then my search for a .22 revolver will have been in vain.

I do reload. I'll look into reloading some .38 snake shot rounds. Sounds like a great idea.

Homebrew2
09-02-2010, 9:47 AM
Thanks Ed, I'll put one on my list! I'm actually pretty happy with my 6.5" AS Rough Rider. Consistantly hits steel at 85 yds (but it is all over the place at 130 yds).

To the OP, the 22 birdshot is less worthless at 5' but that's not saying much. On snakes, I'd rather try them out of a rifle. Work pretty good on mice out of a revo though.
I agree your best option is light reloads with the Speer capsules. From experience with my 44, the loads Speer suggests are way hotter than need be.

BiggSean
09-02-2010, 10:00 AM

Do you know what model they have in stock for $200? I may just pick one of these up to use as a back-up ground squirrel gun. I normally use my 10/22 for that purpose, but I wouldn't mind using a revolver as well.

gorenut
09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Single Six was the first thing that came to my mind. Other than that, Ruger Bearcat?