PDA

View Full Version : So I just got a M&P 45

rudeboy3
09-01-2010, 9:50 PM
So my girlfriend bought me a M&P 45 and we got it today:party: Any owners out there wanna give me advice before I shoot it tomorrow. I already wiped it down and lubed it anything else I should do. I have about 500 rounds ill put through it tomorrow.

ebencikiv
09-01-2010, 9:54 PM
buy more ammo lol :p "So my girlfriend bought me a M&P 45" lucky man

evidens83
09-01-2010, 9:55 PM
Lucky man congrats! Have fun tomorrow and take pics!!

Colt
09-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Advice? Keep the girl!

RobG
09-01-2010, 10:19 PM
So my girlfriend bought me a M&P 45 and we got it today:party: Any owners out there wanna give me advice before I shoot it tomorrow. I already wiped it down and lubed it anything else I should do. I have about 500 rounds ill put through it tomorrow.

One word, KEEPER! And congrats, I'd love one myself.

PsychGuy274
09-01-2010, 10:26 PM
AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! I want one soooooo bad!

lol

fsx
09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I want one just like yours. No i am not talking about the gun

77bawls
09-01-2010, 10:31 PM
The only B**** I have about the gun is my finger falls off the front of the trigger guard. Other than that I love it. :D

Knauga
09-01-2010, 10:42 PM
I LOVE my M&P45!

speeedracerr
09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
The M&P 45 is a great shooter!!! At first I didn't like the frame sag, but I guess its apparent for most M&P45s.

I also have the M&P40 but do prefer my M&P 45 the most! Congratulations on your new toy ;)

Recession
09-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Before Apex Duty Trigger = :)

After Apex Duty Trigger = :drool5:

rudeboy3
09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Haha ya she is a keeper. I hesitate to tell you the other gift she got me a few years ago:eek:

SPE
09-01-2010, 11:32 PM
+1 on the Apex trigger kit. Very smooth, and much more comfortable trigger pull.

And the Apex service is excellent.

Before Apex Duty Trigger = :)

After Apex Duty Trigger = :drool5:

jumpthestack
09-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Definitely check out the Apex DCAEK. The trigger(and the indistinct, somewhat long reset) is probably the worst thing about the M&P which is otherwise a great gun.

Also if you have the mag disconnect safety, you might want to look into removing it, which is very easy. Whether or not to do it and how to do it have been covered many times before, Google it if interested.

I found the bottom of the trigger guard rubbed my middle finger on my shooting hand abrasively. A little light sanding took care of that.

SLYoteBoy
09-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Dry fire , practice slow squeeze of trigger to the rear. Put a penny/empty shell casing just behind front sight , practice untill it doesnt fall off when shot breaks (still dry firing) Dont know if you need snapcaps with that pistol or not. I beleive I read something about the firing pins sometimes breaking? Not sure on that.

RT13
09-02-2010, 12:00 AM
M&P45 is one of the best pistols I've ever owned. It's my favorite gun right now out of my multitudes of other handgun brands. All I can tell you is shoot the heck out of it. And I also recommend the Apex tactical parts for it especially the trigger and sear. Lihgtens up the trigger pull by about 30-40% and the sear block smooths out the trigger. Otherwise, you're GTG!

cmth
09-02-2010, 12:03 AM
The only B**** I have about the gun is my finger falls off the front of the trigger guard. Other than that I love it. :D

I assume you are putting the index finger of your support hand on the trigger guard. You're not supposed to hold it that way in the first place. There is a reason why nobody teaches that grip style anymore. You'll have a much better grip if you wrap all of the fingers of your support hand around the fingers of your shooting hand on the grip. By gripping the way you've been doing, you are essentially losing the use of that index finger in stabilizing your grip. Try it, you might be surprised.

sholling
09-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Hang onto that girl!!! I love my M&P45. The only gotcha is don't dry fire it without snap caps. You'll find that the trigger smooths out in 250-300rds. Great handguns! Oh and they have their own fansite (http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?act=idx).

Greg-Dawg
09-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Clean it.

rudeboy3
09-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the responses guys..Ya im pretty aware of how to shoot and practice(I dont mean that in a a**hole way) I just mean this specific pistol. Thanks for the heads up about snap caps ill have to stop dry firing tonight:(

eijjie33
09-02-2010, 1:15 AM
any pics?

Blackhawk556
09-02-2010, 1:54 AM
Hang onto that girl!!! I love my M&P45. The only gotcha is don't dry fire it without snap caps. You'll find that the trigger smooths out in 250-300rds. Great handguns! Oh and they have their own fansite (http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?act=idx).

Thanks for the responses guys..Ya im pretty aware of how to shoot and practice(I dont mean that in a a**hole way) I just mean this specific pistol. Thanks for the heads up about snap caps ill have to stop dry firing tonight:(

wait, what???

why?

several months ago i posted something that I read about not dry firing and some people here got uncomfortable with me saying that.

lmudave
09-02-2010, 8:10 AM
Definitely install the Apex Tactical Sear!!!! It really makes a world of difference

OneSevenDeuce
09-02-2010, 8:57 AM
wait, what???

why?

several months ago i posted something that I read about not dry firing and some people here got uncomfortable with me saying that.

Dry firing is like barrel break procedures. Some people say it's crud, others swear by it. Who is right? Hell, who knows. If you ask me, unless your gun is 80 years old I wouldn't worry about it. Rimfire excluded of course.

sholling
09-02-2010, 9:04 AM

Dry firing is like barrel break procedures. Some people say it's crud, others swear by it. Who is right? Hell, who knows. If you ask me, unless your gun is 80 years old I wouldn't worry about it. Rimfire excluded of course.
The dry firing issue is unique to M&Ps and a modicum of research would have confirmed that it's an issue. S&W got stuck replacing a bunch of broken strikers as a result of people dry firing without snap caps. They've since strengthened the strikers but it's still not recommended and the snap caps should be replaced as they wear.

Legasat
09-02-2010, 9:07 AM
Congrats on the girl and the M&P!!

My M&P has been flawless!!!

Enjoy!!!!

OneSevenDeuce
09-02-2010, 9:12 AM
The dry firing issue is unique to M&Ps and a modicum of research would have confirmed that it's a confirmed issue. S&W got stuck replacing a bunch of broken strikers as a result of people dry firing without snap caps. They've since strengthened the strikers but it's still not recommended.

Yeah, it was a flaw in the design. If something breaks because it has a flawed design that doesn't mean that otherwise normal procedures are no longer acceptable.

ZX-10R
09-02-2010, 9:33 AM

Give your girlfriend a hug for me and tell her to call my wife haha. Congrats.

Just shoot and watch some videos on how to shoot a handgun if you do not already know how too.

bodger
09-02-2010, 9:36 AM
Pics of this beauty?

And some of the gun too. :D

rudeboy3
09-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Alright guys me and her are off to go shoot this beauty ill try and get some pics of the new family member:D

Fate
09-02-2010, 11:55 AM
+1 on the Apex sear and Ultimate striker. Helped my .45 immensely! I love it, especially after I added Warren 2 dot sights.

sholling
09-02-2010, 1:56 PM
Yeah, it was a flaw in the design. If something breaks because it has a flawed design that doesn't mean that otherwise normal procedures are no longer acceptable.
Of course it does if it weakens the striker leaving you in a bad way when you need it. I want my weapon at 100%.

rudeboy3
09-02-2010, 3:24 PM
So I just got back and wow what an awesome gun. Me and the lady put about 600 rounds through it(FMJ, JHP, FMJ reloads) and no failures at all. As it was said the trigger is a bit gritty and it has a pretty tough pull but its not to bad. The first box we were both a little off but it should be expected(she has glocks I have 1911s and HKs) but the second box and up it was game on. Shot good groups both long and short range. We also used all three back straps, with a light attached and not, double tapped it, mag dumped it, slow shots, limp wristed it and I could not get it to jam whats so ever. I will definetly look into the apex trigger as well as some night sights.

plan-b
09-02-2010, 9:55 PM
In case you're wondering what this Apex fuss is:
https://apextactical.com/store/index.php

At a minimum, get the sear. It's a good gun pre-Apex. But it becomes an outstanding gun post-Apex.

RobG
09-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I'll add to the list of happy Apex kit owners. Its the best 100.00 you can spend on the M&P without a doubt. Its also pretty easy to DIY.

Notblake
09-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Your girlfriend got you a new gun and you want US to give YOU advice?

You need to tell us how to get gun-buying girlfriends!

rudeboy3
09-02-2010, 10:37 PM
See I feel bad even saying this but its actually the SECOND gun she has bought me. She also got me a great 1911 that has served me very well:D...We should get a shoot goin and we all bring are gfs so she can meet all yours haha

ebencikiv
09-03-2010, 1:22 PM
See I feel bad even saying this but its actually the SECOND gun she has bought me. She also got me a great 1911 that has served me very well:D...We should get a shoot goin and we all bring are gfs so she can meet all yours haha
Rub it in why don't cha? ya big jerk! ;)

5shot
09-03-2010, 1:55 PM

And she has good taste in guns too.:thumbsup:

PsychGuy274
09-03-2010, 2:08 PM

It's easy: Go to a bar, stand on the counter, pull out your gun and yell, "WHO HERE WANTS TO DANCE?!"

First girl that comes up to you and pulls her 1911 on you, that's her. :D