PDA

View Full Version : How well do red dot magnifiers work?

Bogart
09-01-2010, 6:38 PM
Does in make the dot too big? Is it much harder to acquire a target with it. How does it compare to a scope of the same magnification? Is the optic still basically parallax free?

CoyoteHunter555
09-02-2010, 4:34 AM
no, no, different, yea

Caseless
09-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I've always wondered whether the magnifier setup is feasible for the .308 platform because of the stronger recoil. Supposedly eye relief is 1.5-inch? with the magnifier setup.

CoyoteHunter555
09-02-2010, 1:06 PM
I've always wondered whether the magnifier setup is feasible for the .308 platform because of the stronger recoil. Supposedly eye relief is 1.5-inch? with the magnifier setup.

Ya it'd work

tacticalcity
09-02-2010, 1:49 PM
You basically have to ask yourself what will the weapon be used for.

If it is a hunting rifle, range whore, or overwelmingly going to be used for shooting 50 yards and beyond then you would be better served by a traditional variable power scope with the capability of a lot more magnification.

If however you plan on taking CQB type AR courses, actually using it in a CQB role, or maybe even shooting in competitions, then a magnifier will serve you well since most of the time you won't want magnification at all, but if you do you won't have to re-zero your optic.

Since I would not personally use a .308 in a CQB roll and would use that more for longer range shooting I would want a more traditional scope like a 3.5-10x40mm Leupold Mark 4. However, if your .308 is otherwise setup for CQB rather than precision work I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

My magnifier is on my custom Recon precision type AR rifle. It would probably be more practical to have a more traditional scope on based on the way I myself use the rifle. However, when friends want to take a course with me and don't own their own AR, this is the rifle I loan them (in my presence the entire time of course). I personally use it as more of a range whore. When I take a CQB type AR course, I opt for my much lighter M4. Doing so allows me to train harder and longer while experiencing less fatigue.

Bogart
09-09-2010, 7:47 PM
OK...I purchased a primary arms m4 red dot, and a 5x magnifier. The red dot sight is very nice, no distortion on any of the edges. The magnifier however is difficult to use. The eye relief is probably an inch...maybe less. Exit pupil is not great either. I ended up just taking off the magnifier.

SuperSet
09-09-2010, 8:43 PM
OK...I purchased a primary arms m4 red dot, and a 5x magnifier. The red dot sight is very nice, no distortion on any of the edges. The magnifier however is difficult to use. The eye relief is probably an inch...maybe less. Exit pupil is not great either. I ended up just taking off the magnifier.

You should have went with the VMX3 magnifier as it's the only clone magnifier with 'usable' eye relief IMO.