PDA

View Full Version : remington rand 1911?

moorman949
09-01-2010, 6:47 PM
i have a remington rand 1911...would it be a bad idea to put after market parts on it? i would keep all the old parts....but would this de value it??

Colt
09-01-2010, 6:56 PM
If you only put stuff on it that can be removed, and if it can later be restored to original, it could be OK. Nevertheless, with a 1911 of that pedigree, unless it's totally messed up, I'd leave it stock and save up for another 1911.

dirtydrew
09-01-2010, 6:58 PM
Leave it!

GŁnter
09-01-2010, 7:00 PM
Whenever you permenantly modify a collectable piece from its original condition it will bring down the value, that includes shooting it. I'd say leave it alone, will be best to be kept as a safe queen.

Spoilerv2
09-01-2010, 7:04 PM
My grandfather carried one in WWII and it's still with my cousin. Looks beat up, but it's a family relic. Leave it as is.

doc540
09-01-2010, 8:09 PM
yep, it'll devalue it, but do with it what you want...it's your gun

Any day of the week there are a dozen of them for sale for anyone with the cake to snag one.

GŁnter
09-01-2010, 8:36 PM
yep, it'll devalue it, but do with it what you want...it's your gun

Any day of the week there are a dozen of them for sale for anyone with the cake to snag one.

Indeed, but just because you can drive a car with only your feet, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

A USGI 1911 kept in good condition can be sold for couple brand new 1911s easily.

Mute
09-01-2010, 8:53 PM
Any irreversible mods will reduce the value, but it's not like it's a Singer.

1911Luvr
09-02-2010, 1:15 AM
Ultimately you need to decide what you want to do with it. If you want it as a collectible, then don't do anything to it, including shooting it. If you couldn't care less about collectibles, then do whatever you like to it. Here's the rub though- selling it off as a collectible could net you the cash to buy or build a VERY nice 1911, so keep this in mind before doing anything to it.

Personally, I'd like to find a Colt Series 70 to build a custom gun from. Some would give me the same argument I just mentioned, but personally I don't care. I just want a cool custom with the little horsies! Lol

EDIT: wow, didn't know the forum would automatically use asterisks to replace the letters in the word biotchin' without the "o" in the forum to describe something cool.

OneSevenDeuce
09-02-2010, 9:06 AM
There are only two things you need to do to this pistol.

1. Leave it alone

2. Post pics :D

M1A Rifleman
09-02-2010, 9:07 AM
Hey, don't mess it up. If you are simply adding things that can come off without goofing it up then fine, tho not sure why as it damn perfect stock. There aren't many of these around in good shape so please treat it like art.

Black Majik
09-02-2010, 9:11 AM
i have a remington rand 1911...would it be a bad idea to put after market parts on it? i would keep all the old parts....but would this de value it??

First things first... determine that it's actually a Remington Rand 1911 and not a parts gun. Look up the serial # on the frame to determine if it's a RR frame. Research to ensure the small parts such as the slidestop, hammer, barrel, stocks, thumb safety, grip safety etc are RR.

If it's all original, all you need to do is oil it, then keep it stored in the deepest part of your safe.

If it's a parts gun, you have two options. Make it period correct, or modify to your hearts desire and use it as a shooter.

moorman949
09-02-2010, 11:57 AM
First things first... determine that it's actually a Remington Rand 1911 and not a parts gun. Look up the serial # on the frame to determine if it's a RR frame. Research to ensure the small parts such as the slidestop, hammer, barrel, stocks, thumb safety, grip safety etc are RR.

If it's all original, all you need to do is oil it, then keep it stored in the deepest part of your safe.

If it's a parts gun, you have two options. Make it period correct, or modify to your hearts desire and use it as a shooter.

how do you tell if its a parts gun??

Black Majik
09-02-2010, 12:11 PM
This may help start you off.

http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/1911infopage.htm

If you're not a member of 1911forum, I'd recommend taking some pictures of your gun in natural light, then posting it in the USGI section. They can help confirm or identify the small parts on your gun..

doc540
09-02-2010, 1:48 PM
This may help start you off.

http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/1911infopage.htm

If you're not a member of 1911forum, I'd recommend taking some pictures of your gun in natural light, then posting it in the USGI section. They can help confirm or identify the small parts on your gun..

this

They'll tell you if the part was made on a specific day of the week.:eek:

sd joe
09-02-2010, 8:37 PM
I would recommend leaving it as is. However, shooting it will not hurt the value. It has been through the military already.

CapnHawk
09-03-2010, 8:32 PM
I have a number of USGI .45's - 1911's, 1911-A1's, Transitionals, and practically every manufacturer, except a Singer. A gun is designed to be used and the ones I have have been used and then some. If you want to do something as innocuous as swap out the grips, by all means, go for it. Just keep the original grips. Considering the big bucks USGI .45's command, you aren't going to lose one red cent if you shoot it and, down the road, decide to sell it.