PDA

View Full Version : If you could have one and only one gun

mblat
05-11-2006, 6:10 PM
Ok, here is the situation. Friend of mine finally caved and said - "I will buy a gun, but this will be one and only gun I ever buy. So what do you suggest?"

Normally I would laugh at "only one gun" idea. But in this particular case I think that may be true for many reasons.
\
So what do you think? I was thinking about some nice SKS?

Oh yes - forgot to mention - one of the reasons that I think "one gun" may be true here is because my friend has a hobby that eats pretty much all his money.
So he is somewhat on the budget..... But he consided that because it is one gun he can spend some...

EDIT: I guess the question is what is the most universal gun as far as HD/SHTF/range work?

acegunnr
05-11-2006, 6:13 PM
Beware of the man with only one gun...

He probably knows how to use it.

;)

grammaton76
05-11-2006, 6:27 PM
M590 pump-action shotgun would be my call. Get the one with the semi fancy sights on it.

Either that, or maybe one of the niftier Benelli semi-auto offerings. But I'm assuming the M590 would be attractive to the pocketbook.

VeryCoolCat
05-11-2006, 8:37 PM
I'd recommend a shotgun, but only if he intends to use it for protection because shotgun ammo isn't cheap. Its up to you on make depending on your financial success. Of course get a tactical shotgun, they are more universal for defense and enjoyment.

If he wants something REALLY CHEAP, that will last... an SKS is the way to go. Though is a little large/heavy for defensive purposes.

If he wants something to shoot with but nothing too hardcore, i'd recommend an SU-16 affordable, and the ammo is strong enough for defense and cheap enough for plinkage.

AS45-70
05-11-2006, 8:43 PM
It depends really.

What would shoot more, a rifle , pistol or shotgun.

Pistol - colt 1911

Rifle - sks, its got a lot of fun factor attach to it

Shotgun - Benelli M1S90, i love mine it was my first shot gun

Also depends on his budget.

If were talking any gun id like a G18

taloft
05-11-2006, 8:58 PM
Definitely a milsurp rifle. You can do a lot with a rifle.

Fjold
05-12-2006, 6:27 AM
I would buy an interchangeable barrel single shot like a Contender, Encore or H&R. That way if I ever got another $200 I could add a shotgun barrel or another rifle barrel, etc.

Forever-A-Soldier
05-12-2006, 7:10 AM
Duh, AR series (OLL). :D Seriously though, if push comes to shove you have dozens of options (legal and well non-legal) from a 7.5" Kitty Kat barrel for CQB to Free Float accurized SPR for long range engagements. Magazines and ammo are plentiful and it is truly the most multi-purpose weapon out there. Otherwise, ARs and other AW-types excluded, I'd go with a Ruger 10/22 rifle. Ammo and the rifle itself is very inexpensive.

F.A.S. Out

sintax
05-12-2006, 1:45 PM
I'd have to suggest SKS as well, but make sure you find a Yugo M59, stay away from those M59/66's

Matt-man
05-12-2006, 3:05 PM
ok that would be a CAR15 or did they call it a XM177 anyhow a M16 with a 11.5 barrel with a lafrance gas system and a few C mags or many 40 round sterling mags

Awesome! I'm in the market for one good rifle too, where can I get one of these?

ocabj
05-12-2006, 3:36 PM
Either a Thompson Center Encore or a Savage 110 series in a long action.

Matt-man
05-12-2006, 4:21 PM
Well first off you have to live in a free state and then you need to have about 10K or more for a real COLT M16 let your fingers do the walking or rather typing there are many online boards where people from free states advertise their toys move to a free state and you too can have the bog boys toys.

Uh, ok. What about mblat's friend who probably lives in or around Los Angeles and wants something reasonably priced?

If it were me, I'd want something I could use to defend my home, hunt with, and maybe shoot in rifle matches. An SKS could do that, but I think I'd want something a little nicer if it was my only gun. An M1A or a Garand would do nicely - no relocation needed.

Black Majik
05-12-2006, 4:33 PM
If I could only have 1 production gun, I'd go buy myself a Springfield PRO. :D

If I was in his situation, it'd probably be a Remington 870 Wingmaster with 18.5" & 28" barrel combo.

I prefer handguns to long guns personally though...

CalNRA
05-12-2006, 5:19 PM
A 1911. Walking around with a long gun for eveyrone to see is just silly....

sargenv
05-12-2006, 5:38 PM
My question to him would be, "What do you want to do with it?".

If I were to have only 1 gun, it would likely be a 3" Remington 870 with screw in chokes. Shotgun ammo is relatively cheap. I'm not sure who said it was expensive.. Field loads of 7.5's are going for $40 a case in places (that's 250 rounds). Sometimes you can find them cheaper. If he wants he can choose Buckshot, Slugs, Sabot Slugs, Steel, Bismuth, Tungsten, or lead shot. I have a Mossberg 500 and 2 870's. The 870's win hands down.

Remingtons are also nice in that there are ample replacement parts and aftermarket gizmos. A lot of people like Benelli's but I'm not convinced that they are all that great of a platform since you have to get parts from somewhere else (ie imported). I prefer my Gold, but that's probably outside his price range and despite having some cool features, they don't have a lot of aftermarket gizmos available.

You can practically hunt any critter on earth with a decent 12 gauge and no, you can't hit things out much beyond 150 yards, even with sabot slugs. If you are in that much trouble, what you'd really need is something we can't get legally in CA, a Machine gun of preferably 30 if not 50 caliber.

Vince

DV8
05-12-2006, 6:32 PM
Mp5sd.......

1911_Mitch
05-12-2006, 7:08 PM

If money is no object, something from Wilson Combat

If on a budget, a Springfield

If middle of the road, a Kimber

All of these companies have multiple offerings.

Rifles require more work to get to an outdoor range. I find then I have to haul all my targets, cardboard, etc., spotting scope, just more stuff.
Shotguns are fun, but alot of indoor ranges do not allow them.

Indoor pistol ranges are more common. Pistols can be kept by the bedside in a small safe. Pistols can be concealed on your person while in your home, or out and about if you have the proper papers. Pistols will get the job done for self defense, because it will be unlikely if you need a 25+ yard shot for self defense; Outside of that, your better off running.

wilit
05-12-2006, 8:07 PM
One gun and only one? Dude, that's an easy one. I'd have this:

http://www.n-bomb.com/posts/pix2616856390.jpg

Or if that's not readily available, I think I'd stick with a Sig 226.

vonsmith
05-12-2006, 8:24 PM
I'll take a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. Actually that's a drink, but a good one. If I had one choice I'd take an ATK Mk44 Bushmaster 40mm conversion set up to fire Super Forty ammo. Sweeet! :D

=vonsmith=