PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21s VS 1911 Pistols?

Richy.C
09-01-2010, 3:56 PM
Which of these kinds of pistols are the most reliable, most trustworthy, most dependable, etc. to use or own? Which can undertake any climate or temperature, hot & cold, winter, desert & humid? Which can be use after getting wet in water? Which can last longer? Mainly the 45 acp kinds of pistols and are California Approved!

Some people say Glocks are better, but others say 1911s (mainly Wilson Combats or Kimbers). What pistol would this forum say? And why that pistol?

Black Majik
09-01-2010, 3:57 PM
I love 1911s, but I'm siding with Glock on this one.

jackliu239
09-01-2010, 3:59 PM
Glock

Army GI
09-01-2010, 3:59 PM
I agree. 1911s have a special place in my heart, but the glock is just a better design.

Of course, I wouldn't get one in .45 ACP more like 9mm.

Gundam
09-01-2010, 4:00 PM
Glocks > XD > most other pistols >>>>>>> 1911 in terms of reliability.

However this is just a general statement. Yes competely reliable 1911's exist, but they usually accompany a $2k+ price tag. For the most part, 1911's will be a bit more finicky, and will require a bit more care than other pistols.

noob_tube
09-01-2010, 4:01 PM
Definitely Glock in terms of reliability. But 1911's are just so purty to look at!!!

mcat707
09-01-2010, 4:03 PM
Glocks pistols are perfect for a SHTF scenario. It'll no doubt get you out of a tight situation without questioning its reliability. They have been proven to undertake all of what the OP has listed above.

Richy.C
09-01-2010, 4:08 PM
Of course, I wouldn't get one in .45 ACP more like 9mm.

Why not 45s?

Maltese Falcon
09-01-2010, 4:08 PM
I will live or die with a Glock 21 in my hand. My Kimber is just because...

Gundam
09-01-2010, 4:09 PM
XD torture test:
http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

Glock torture test: Do a google search. There are a million of them, many of which were done by average joes like you or I.

nn3453
09-01-2010, 4:10 PM
1911s are great as range guns.

Glock 21 when it is time to be serious. I prefer the SF. Fits my hand better.

Eagle Armory
09-01-2010, 4:15 PM
I have both but carry a 1911 every day and have done so for numerous years. The only time I have had a malfunction in one of my 1911's is when a buddy of mine grabbed the magazine for the 38 super and put in my 45. It fired, just didn't extract the casing.

dadoody
09-01-2010, 4:21 PM
I trust my Kimber 1911 with my life - and in doing so, I also keep it thoroughly cleaned and properly oiled.

Never had a failure to fire or eject. Never.

Glocks are reliable with minimal maintenance. I just can't shoot as accurately with them as I can my 1911. I don't know if it is because I'm just not used to the Glocks, but I honestly done care when my 1911 has never given me any problems.

Corbin Dallas
09-01-2010, 4:22 PM
Which of these kinds of pistols are the most reliable, most trustworthy, most dependable, etc. to use or own? Which can undertake any climate or temperature, hot & cold, winter, desert & humid? Which can be use after getting wet in water? Which can last longer? Mainly the 45 acp kinds of pistols and are California Approved!

Some people say Glocks are better, but others say 1911s (mainly Wilson Combats or Kimbers). What pistol would this forum say? And why that pistol?

I have both and I can tell you that in stock form, the glock is more reliable in all types of weather over the 1911.

Gundam
09-01-2010, 4:34 PM
I trust my Kimber 1911 with my life - and in doing so, I also keep it thoroughly cleaned and properly oiled.

Never had a failure to fire or eject. Never.

Glocks are reliable with minimal maintenance. I just can't shoot as accurately with them as I can my 1911. I don't know if it is because I'm just not used to the Glocks, but I honestly done care when my 1911 has never given me any problems.

This. Shoot whatever gun you shoot best with unless you plan to go through some extremely harsh conditions and environments. If you are going to be playing in the sandbox and your gun may get beat up and battered and not properly maintained, go with what's more reliable. However if you want something reliable for a home defense situation and the gun will be properly maintained, go with whatever gun you shoot better with. Although glocks will always win my heart over for their extreme reliability and durability, I can't shoot for beans with one because I have tiny hands. Therefore I prefer my 1911 or M&P over it even though they are not quite as reliable (although the M&P comes pretty darn close)

OmutaX
09-01-2010, 4:45 PM
For the zombie apocalypse, Glock 21 wins without a doubt. If I were allowed to carry, I'd have a Glock 19/23/30SF. For the range and fun, 1911s win my heart without even trying.

For home defense, my Glock 21SF and Sig SP2022 are both options. Either can be easily replaced and aren't anything particularly special. If my 1911 was taken from me by the cops, I'd probably commit seppuku after I eliminate the invader.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-01-2010, 4:51 PM
You'll do better to pick the one that fits you rather than which one is perceived to be more reliable/accurate/prettier/whatever.

I have both Glocks and 1911s. I'd be hard pressed to decide which one I'd take if I had to snatch just one pistol out of the safe and run.

fullspeed1
09-01-2010, 4:52 PM
I've got 2 Glock 19's that I would trust my life with, and Just ordered a Kimber Custom 2 for the simple fact of owning a 1911 for the range and being an American.

bellwilliam
09-01-2010, 4:54 PM
1911 is such a generic term. you can get a $400 POS or $3k work of art. apple and oranges, even within 1911

jayhuh
09-01-2010, 4:59 PM
Glock

JaredJamison1
09-01-2010, 5:04 PM
I have a glock .22 (.40cal) and love it. Just recently got the advantage arms .22lr conversion for it. Can't wait to plink with it as well.

I have my eyes on a nice 9mm Glock at the moment.

Sam
09-01-2010, 5:11 PM
What kind of 1911 are we talking about here? It really matters. A Wilson is far different in performance than a thrown together GI.

Günter
09-01-2010, 5:19 PM
Based on the OP's requirement, I would recommend the Glock. Because the Op’s requirement sounds like his Philosophy of Use are mainly geared toward a carry gun rather than a Target/HD gun.

Range/Home-Defense = 1911
Carry = Glock 21

A quality 1911 has a heavier weight and crisp SA trigger is ideal for target shooting and HD use. They do require more maintenance than a Glock, but in range/home environment it is likely kept clean anyways.

The Glock is better suitable for carry due to its light weight, its reliability is legendary even with minimal maintenance which is handy when cleaning isn't accessible in an outdoor carry environment, its lack of manual safety and consistent trigger is ideal for high-stress self-defense situation.

Colt
09-01-2010, 6:02 PM
Which of these kinds of pistols are the most reliable, most trustworthy, most dependable, etc. to use or own? Which can undertake any climate or temperature, hot & cold, winter, desert & humid? Which can be use after getting wet in water?

On an absolute basis - none. You can't assume a zero failure rate for every possible scenario. Having said that, a Glock is probably like an AK - drag it in the mud, bury it in the sand, come back later and it'll go bang.

Although - I don't own any Glocks - I'm a 1911 guy and will swear to their reliability, but then I don't take mine swimming...

09-01-2010, 6:27 PM
Which of these kinds of pistols are the most reliable, most trustworthy, most dependable, etc. to use or own? Which can undertake any climate or temperature, hot & cold, winter, desert & humid? Which can be use after getting wet in water?

Glock 21

sholling
09-01-2010, 6:34 PM
A slight edge to newer designs although I vastly prefer the far more modern and ergonomically correct S&W M&P45 to the older Glock. But the thing to keep in mind that a 1911 can be made so reliable that differences are more of a talking point than an issue. That's why so many elite operators feel warm and fuzzy about carrying a 1911 into harms way.

1911su16b870
09-01-2010, 6:39 PM
Thousands of rounds through both my G21 and TLERLII. Had two SXTs hang up on the 1911, never one problem with my G21...

l8apex
09-01-2010, 6:41 PM
A slight edge to newer designs although I vastly prefer the far more modern and ergonomically correct S&W M&P45 to the older Glock. But the thing to keep in mind that a 1911 can be made so reliable that differences are more of a talking point than an issue. That's why so many elite operators feel warm and fuzzy about carrying a 1911 into harms way.

^^This.

dadoody
09-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Man but do people love to abuse their Glocks:

bj5Kcs4dzro

m6i3dtytmBA

Army GI
09-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Why not 45s?

My subjective opinion is that .45 is too powerful for the Glock. I don't know how much it weighs, but it seems that the all steel 1911 recoil's less than the Glock which with it's polymer frame. The .357 Sig was pretty unpleasant as well. But the 9mm Glocks shoot like a dream.

Again, just my opinion.

JanG
09-02-2010, 5:22 AM
21C / Steel, Polymer Pistol 4.6" .45 ACP 2/1/2011

this might help tame the recoil a little :D
http://handguns.g00net.org/Glock/G-G_compensator.jpg

and found a previous discussion on it
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=187685

rtadlock
09-02-2010, 5:37 AM
I have a Glock 22 and a Wilson Combat 1911 and they are both equally reliable. The difference in price though is almost $2k. In my opinion a glock is much more reliable then the average $500-$600 1911.

I personally would grab my 1911 first though over my glock because it fits in my hand better and I shoot it better. I also have extended 10 round mags for it and only 10 rounders for the Glock so mag capacity isnt an issue.

DaveFJ80
09-02-2010, 5:53 AM
I have a Glock 19 and a Kimber TLE/RL II. Not a high end 1911, but no slouch either. Both have been 100% so far with the rounds I've put through each of them. Both are setup relatively the same (same NS, same light, both have mag extensions). But if it came down to me needing to grab one because my life depended on it, I will always grab the Glock.

Plus it doesn't hurt that I'm running a pre-ban G17 mag in my G19, with now an Arredondo mag extension to it. I'd rather have 23+1 rounds of 9mm HST power, than having 10 rounds of HST in my Kimber. I've seen some people use the same Arredondo mag extensions in their pre-ban G21 mags (17+1 setup).

C.W.M.V.
09-02-2010, 5:54 AM
My 1911's have been just as reliable as my wifes glock. Many thousands of rounds down the pipe and not a malfunction from either.
I love it when people say the 1911 is a range gun despite the fact its been used in combat by millions of people for nearly 100 years. I'm sorry if it was just a range gun it wouldn't have lasted so long. Let's see where glock is in 80 years.

rrr70
09-02-2010, 6:06 AM
My subjective opinion is that .45 is too powerful for the Glock. I don't know how much it weighs, but it seems that the all steel 1911 recoil's less than the Glock which with it's polymer frame. The .357 Sig was pretty unpleasant as well. But the 9mm Glocks shoot like a dream.

Again, just my opinion.

You should try GLOCK 30. You'd be surprised by it's recoil. :D

cineski
09-02-2010, 6:25 AM
A Glock is the better defense weapon. A 1911 is pretty to look at, fondle, can shoot very accurately, all of which doesn't matter at all the second you forget to flip the safety off in a SHTF situation. The Glock is a far superior combat weapon in most situations. If you're going to dedicate yourself to the 1911 trigger platform, practice your fool brains out so your motor memory will properly work in a freak out situation then 1911's are nice. Most people will never get this far. Glocks take minimal training to use successfully to save one's keaster.

nn3453
09-02-2010, 6:31 AM

Again, just my opinion.

Have you shot one? I don't know where you are located but you are welcome to try mine. In my subjective opinion, the 21SF is lighter but recoils predictably and it is easy to keep follow up shots on target. I shoot it faster than I can any 1911.

Oceanbob
09-02-2010, 6:38 AM

Again, just my opinion.

I have half dozen 1911s...(now) and 11 Glocks. (I am a sick man)

I reload as well. (Dillion 1050 and 550B)

Actually the Glock 21 is a ***** cat in the recoil department. A big soft push that fits my large hands. My Glock 23 in .40 has slightly more felt recoil (which is not a big deal) than the .45 (glock 21). More zip.

Because of the large and wide frame the larger Glocks (double stack mags) feel much better in my hands. Even my Glock 20 in 10mm is a ***** cat in double tap drills.

I started my gun collection in the 1970s with the Colt .45 auto. A fantastic weapon; built a few, owned a dozen, shot the heck out of them. And honestly never thought anything would replace the 1911 until the Glock 21 came out in 1992 (?) That year I also bought a Glock 20 in 10mm.

If I had to reach into my Gun Safe and grab only one weapon to take on a unknown journey..it would be the Glock 21. (Between the 1911 or G21)

(hey..and don't discount the Glock 30 either. Neat, small and accurate. It will take the larger mags in .45 that are built for the Glock 21) Photo below.

(when previewing this post I noticed that ****replaced the P word..LOL)

http://i38.tinypic.com/2ahd4qq.jpg

OneSevenDeuce
09-02-2010, 6:50 AM
1911s are great as range guns.

:confused:

Every branch of the armed forces would have disagreed with you for 75 years.

Glock21sfsd
09-02-2010, 6:57 AM
For all of those conditions I would Say Glock 21sf. Somewhere there is a toture test of one and the guy does evrything you listed and more and the glock takes a licking and keeps on ticking

Dhena81
09-02-2010, 6:59 AM
I have a few minor problems with the glock even though I own 2 and they have been extremely reliable besides the magazines. One problem with a Glock I have is the magazines don't always drop freely and another is the slide release these are just personal things that affect me and my training it might not happen to everyone.

My 1911 has never had any malfunctions I wan't to get a custom 1911 one day but right now the Sig GSR has worked like a dream. If I had to chose a .45 acp SHTF gun it would be an HK USP Variant 3 the mags drop and I just like the controls of the gun and its been more reliable than my Glock 21 which most of the problems of that gun have been magazine related.

rtadlock
09-02-2010, 7:11 AM
These threads always come down to the same thing. Shoot them both and get which one feels better to you. If you only criteria is reliability then it really comes down to price. If the price is a factor I would get the Glock. Most 1911s in the glock price range usually are more picky about the ammo and magazines that are used then anything else in my experience.

Its ridiculous to say that the 1911 is just a range gun or just pretty to look at when its been involved in more Wars then Glock and in bad conditions, (WW1 and WW2 etc) and its still being used. Not that the Glock wouldnt have held up in those conditions but the 1911 did and was effective.

lazs
09-02-2010, 7:45 AM
either gun can fail.. for different reasons.. the glock is "looser" and less accurate with a poor trigger and a plastic feel to it. The 1911 is more complex and an older design but has a much better feel and is far more accurate with the best trigger you can get on a semi auto.

If you don't like guns.. or don't really care for em as much more than tool for close range work then I would give the edge to the glock.. unless of course you hold it wrong.

You can limp wrist a glock and it will fail. You can find 1911's with such tight chambers that they will be very finicky about the type of ammo they like.

not that many of us have a need to bury our guns in mud holes for a few weeks. The practical reliability of both guns is very high. I doubt most would notice a difference.

It is also nice to be able to fire cast lead slugs in the 1911 which really.. is not a good idea in the glock.

Juice5610
09-02-2010, 9:14 AM
HK45 /thread

Ninja45
09-02-2010, 1:37 PM
OceanBob, are you sure you are not me? We have a very similar history in gun ownership!

I love the 1911 and the Glock designs EQUALLY! Is that possible? Shoot them equally good as well!