View Full Version : Windows firewall blocking exceptions

09-01-2010, 10:13 AM
So I have a problem that has been bugging me for a long time now. I am running a print server with some print tracking software. in order for other computers in the network to print, they must have a client program installed that forces users to authenticate print jobs with a login/password. On a few computers on my network, windows firewall continues to block internet access for the client program despite making firewall exceptions for the program and the ports it uses.

I am able to get it to work temporarily if i disable and re-enable windows firewall (So the exceptions work when the firewall is on... for awhile...) Why would windows firewall continue to block programs and ports where i have made exceptions and how can I get it to stop doing that?

09-07-2010, 11:17 PM
bump? :( What can I do to stop making windows firewall block programs and ports despite exceptions being made.

09-07-2010, 11:21 PM
what program is this? and does the exception still show up when it stops working or do you have to re-add it?

09-07-2010, 11:48 PM
its a program called print manager plus. it still remains on the firewall exceptions list - i don't have to re-add it.

09-08-2010, 1:41 AM
If you're connected to a router just disable the windows firewall since you're already behind a NAT. Or do you not trust the other systems on your local network?

09-08-2010, 2:24 AM
I do not trust other systems on this network because individuals here who are assigned their own personal machine have their machines set up as a single user (them, not me) with administrator rights on it. If I wanted to do something on it, I would have to ask them first. I can't really say anything about the network status because I am not in charge of it. I am only a lowly IT desk helper. I do not suspect it is a network issue because the print client program works on 99% of the machines and in regards to the 1% it only works intermittently... as far as I can tell, the 1%'s network settings are routed the same as everyone else's.

09-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Just to be clear, you opened the TCP ports on the firewall for both the server and client the software is running on?

Instructions from their web site: http://www.softwareshelf.com/files/supportFAQView.asp?ID=2586

yes I have done this. My issue is windows firewall on the workstations blocking these exceptions. I know it works because users are able to print from their workstations when the firewall is restarted but only for a short period of time. Why windows firewall reverts back to blocking it confuses me. I have also checked for built in firewalls with antivirus programs and have switched antivirus software. Same problem.

09-08-2010, 1:23 PM
Like I said before just disable the windows firewall. There really is no need for it since the internal network is already behind a firewall.