PDA

View Full Version : Credit cards are paid off, help me max em out again!

Booshanky
09-01-2010, 9:28 AM
Hi fellas, and ladies!

I've spent the last few months of my life drearily slaving away at my BS corporate existence so that I can be debt free, and I won! I beat the system! Woo hoo! :D:D:D

Now, I'm gonna be paying cash for my next gun so the whole line about maxing out my credit cards is a bit facetious. I need a little help figuring out what I wanna get.

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN.

Here's what I'm thinking of. I just finished reading The Dark Tower/Gunslinger series by Stephen King and I'm kinda getting the itch for a wheelgun. But since I don't actually own any wheelguns, I'm a bit lost on them.

Doing my research, it seems like the closest "real" gun I can find that matches what Roland has in the book is probably a .45LC, 7 1/2 inch barrel, single action. Probably a Ruger Vaquero or a Colt Single Action Army.

Anyone have any better ideas? And if not, can you think of a place I could find these kinda guns? I'd want them to be new, and preferably shiny. I've got plenty of "work" guns, this will be just a bling piece for fun and literary nostalgia.

What do you guys (and ladies!) think?

vta
09-01-2010, 9:31 AM
congrats on becoming debt free. must be a good feeling.

i hear that the late model colt single action armys are kind of crummy. i guess the reason has to do with them changing its manufacturing process due to bad deal they made with clinton in the 90s to get rid of the original facility. i have not shot one but i have fondled a second generation 7.5 inch Colt SAA and they are sweet.

zoglog
09-01-2010, 9:38 AM
Just make sure to stay debt free ;)
I always recommend people pay off balances every week. If you can't afford it in cash, no reason purchasing it unless it's a need item (medical bills/food/housing)

dilligaffrn
09-01-2010, 9:40 AM
I vote Ruger (coil>leaf IMHO).

I have both...

NV-35 5106 .357 Mag. 5.50" 11.12" 44.00 oz. 1:16" RH 8
NV-455 5101 .45 Colt 5.50" 11.12" 40.00 oz. 1:16" RH 6

http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroBlued/models.html

FWIW both are dead nuts POA/POI for me (go Blackhawk http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawk/firearms.html if you want Adj. sights).

mif_slim
09-01-2010, 9:47 AM
Staying out of debt is the best thing anyone can do. ;)

Maltese Falcon
09-01-2010, 9:50 AM
Congratulations.

Now go buy yourself a Smith and Wesson Thunder Ranch 45ACP wheel gun.

Very light and shares ammo with my Glock 21.

elSquid
09-01-2010, 9:55 AM
Doing my research, it seems like the closest "real" gun I can find that matches what Roland has in the book is probably a .45LC, 7 1/2 inch barrel, single action. Probably a Ruger Vaquero or a Colt Single Action Army.

Anyone have any better ideas? And if not, can you think of a place I could find these kinda guns? I'd want them to be new, and preferably shiny. I've got plenty of "work" guns, this will be just a bling piece for fun and literary nostalgia.

I have a Vaquero: solid gun and I have no complaints. However, if you want more bling and perhaps more historical accuracy:

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/single-action-revolver.asp

I'm hoping to pick one up in the next year.

Do a search on "USFA vs Colt" and you'll have hours of reading material.

-- Michael

RedFord150
09-01-2010, 10:51 AM
...Now, I'm gonna be paying cash for my next gun so the whole line about maxing out my credit cards is a bit facetious. I need a little help figuring out what I wanna get.

...Doing my research, it seems like the closest "real" gun I can find that matches what Roland has in the book is probably a .45LC, 7 1/2 inch barrel, single action. Probably a Ruger Vaquero or a Colt Single Action Army. ...can you think of a place I could find these kinda guns? ...

Congrats on becoming Debt Free.
If you own your home, find a way to pay it off in 15 years or less. You can refinance below 4% at my CU. See www.foothillcu.org.
If you do not own a home, start shopping. Finance it for 20 years or 15 years, whatever payment you can afford.

As for the gun, give a call to Gunslingers in Glendora. They seem to specialize in Cowboy Guns. Jeff is the owner. I am sure he can show you some that might interest you.

Good luck.

Blood Ocean
09-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I vote for the Ruger Super Blackhawk, that's a man's gun right there. And why does everyone advocate being debt free? We live in inflationary times (whether you see it or not) and inflation encourages debt gathering because you get to pay it back with less valuable money.

$P-Ritch$
09-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Congrats. I am in the same process. At the current spending/saving rate i should be debt free before xmas.

As for wheel guns my dad has an old 45 lc ruger with 6 in barrel that is a lot of fun to shoot fwiw.

Greg-Dawg
09-01-2010, 11:42 AM
I like your choices, can't go wrong with either.

beerman
09-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I commend you on your being financially responsible. Too many people will never know what it feels like to not own anybody squat. It just takes self discipline....that being said...Do you reload? it can make a differance in what revolver you may want. I prefer 44s and 357s...both use expensive ammo. I prefer double action revolvers for their ease of reloading,and I like revolvers for the fact that you dont have to run around looking in the dirt for your spent brass. As for brands,I always say buy quality and you only buy once...I like my rugers,but prefer Smith and wessons (or colts)

Whatisthis?
09-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Doesn't matter what you're looking for... just buy a Five-seveN. Supposed to be an awesome gun, at least the people that ACTUALLY OWN them say it is, and an easy way to max out the card again.

Ninja45
09-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Ruger Vaquero, the Old Model. Will last a lifetime of your children's children.

Outlier
09-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Boyes Anti tank... Go big or go home! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_anti-tank_rifle

Army GI
09-01-2010, 1:19 PM
I used to own a Colt Single Action Army .45 Colt with a 7.5in bbl. It was a VERY sweet gun, nice and tight, made all the right clicking noises. Was definitely a crowd-pleaser at the range. If you're patient, you can search around and get them NIB for $900-1000 instead of the MSRP $1500. I found mine on gunsamerica.com

I liked that gun very much but if I had not sold it I would have traded it for one with a 4 3/4 or 5/5" barrel. The 7.5" barrel looks very cool but it was too nose-heavy for me and made it hard to shoot.

Can't comment on the New Vaquero, but I have heard that the finish comes of it very easily. Not with the Colt, had a beautiful case colored frame and a rich deep blue finish on the barrel and the cylinder. Hammer was "in the white" which I think looked pretty cool.

Greg F.
09-01-2010, 1:29 PM
I would recommend you come to Gunslingers auction on Sept 18th in W. Covina. Check out what's going to be for sale at: www.gunslingerauctions.com There's going to be a bunch of single action revolvers available.

Rob454
09-01-2010, 1:32 PM
CDongrats on the out of debt part. ive been this way for a good 15 years and its a great feeling. granted I still have a mortgage but thats not "debt" liek we all think of debt.

As for the guns why dont you look into a black powder gun set. Last I went to Reno i saw black powder guns for as low as 150$ a pop.
I woudl get a ruger vaquero 357. this way you can cheap out and shoot 38s for practice.

Army GI
09-01-2010, 3:00 PM
CDongrats on the out of debt part. ive been this way for a good 15 years and its a great feeling. granted I still have a mortgage but thats not "debt" liek we all think of debt.

As for the guns why dont you look into a black powder gun set. Last I went to Reno i saw black powder guns for as low as 150$ a pop.
I woudl get a ruger vaquero 357. this way you can cheap out and shoot 38s for practice.

I am also looking at a Ruger Vaquero, something about a SAA with a 4 3/4" bbl in .357 Magnum that is just so cool.

Legasat
09-01-2010, 3:47 PM
Congrats on being debt free. Welcome to the club!

If you stick with Ruger or S&W on the revolvers, they will never let you down!

Booshanky
09-01-2010, 4:44 PM
I vote Ruger (coil>leaf IMHO).

I have both...

NV-35 5106 .357 Mag. 5.50" 11.12" 44.00 oz. 1:16" RH 8
NV-455 5101 .45 Colt 5.50" 11.12" 40.00 oz. 1:16" RH 6

http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroBlued/models.html

FWIW both are dead nuts POA/POI for me (go Blackhawk http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawk/firearms.html if you want Adj. sights).

Coil or leaf? I'm not sure what that means.

How does .45lc recoil compare to .45ACP? I know it's gotta be harder since you don't have any action moving around to absorb the impulse, but I've never shot the caliber.

Sights are either/or for me. I do all my fun shooting with my semi auto's, this is mostly for fun and a little gunslinger memorabilia.

Booshanky
09-01-2010, 4:49 PM
I would recommend you come to Gunslingers auction on Sept 18th in W. Covina. Check out what's going to be for sale at: www.gunslingerauctions.com There's going to be a bunch of single action revolvers available.

Woah, thanks for the heads up! I should have about a grand to drop on it by then. Lemme look around in their stuff.....

Booshanky
09-01-2010, 4:51 PM
I used to own a Colt Single Action Army .45 Colt with a 7.5in bbl. It was a VERY sweet gun, nice and tight, made all the right clicking noises. Was definitely a crowd-pleaser at the range. If you're patient, you can search around and get them NIB for $900-1000 instead of the MSRP $1500. I found mine on gunsamerica.com

I liked that gun very much but if I had not sold it I would have traded it for one with a 4 3/4 or 5/5" barrel. The 7.5" barrel looks very cool but it was too nose-heavy for me and made it hard to shoot.

Can't comment on the New Vaquero, but I have heard that the finish comes of it very easily. Not with the Colt, had a beautiful case colored frame and a rich deep blue finish on the barrel and the cylinder. Hammer was "in the white" which I think looked pretty cool.

Being that this will be kind of a theatrical piece, (for lack of a better word), I'm really interested in the finish. I'm thinking something like a nickel plating or something like that. Something that just screams at you.

Depending on how much of a nerd about this book I am in the future, I may even get it engraved like Rolands.

Anyone else read the books?

Booshanky
09-01-2010, 5:05 PM
I have a Vaquero: solid gun and I have no complaints. However, if you want more bling and perhaps more historical accuracy:

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/single-action-revolver.asp

I'm hoping to pick one up in the next year.

Do a search on "USFA vs Colt" and you'll have hours of reading material.

-- Michael

DUDE. I think you just won this thread.

Kickarse gun? Check.
TOTALLY CUSTOMIZABLE!?>!?! Check.

Man, I'm looking at the options there and I'm drooling. Dual chambering of .45lc AND .45acp? AWESOME.

I think that might be EXACTLY where I'm going.

Now where to get an authentic looking holster for it.....

liketoshoot
09-01-2010, 5:28 PM
Hi fellas, and ladies!

I've spent the last few months of my life drearily slaving away at my BS corporate existence so that I can be debt free, and I won! I beat the system! Woo hoo! :D:D:D

Sweet isn't it! no worries now just save for what you want and lay the cash down (well I'm able to buy any gun I want I do use my card but only because I get points and I pay it off at the end of the month :) ).

Booshanky
09-01-2010, 5:48 PM
Sweet isn't it! no worries now just save for what you want and lay the cash down (well I'm able to buy any gun I want I do use my card but only because I get points and I pay it off at the end of the month :) ).

Well, still gotta answer to the wife! But hey, if it's the wife or the bank, I'll pick the wife any day of the week. Way hotter than my bank.

trashman
09-01-2010, 6:15 PM
Boo,

I second the USFA recommendation; haven't bought one yet, but I will. I've examined several in person and they are the "real deal". If you really want a Colt look for a 2nd Generation.

If you're going to actually shoot it or carry it, be aware that you shouldn't carry a true SAA or clone with the hammer down on a live round -- there isn't anything to stop an impact to the hammer from setting the round off.

Some modern clones (like my Beretta Stampede pictured below, along with an El Paso Saddlery holster) have a hammer block so you can carry with 6 in the cylinder.

Also - Uberti makes excellent clones and provides them for Beretta, Cimmaron, and a couple of other manufacturers. Cimmaron is probably the best value for a shooter (heard at Tabor's that Uberti prices are going way up).

Finally - the 7.5" barrel (the original length) is a bit like swinging a broom around. The 5.5" "Artillery" length is the perfect balance IMO.

--Neill

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/DPP_0007.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/DPP_0002.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/DPP_0006.jpg

Army GI
09-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Being that this will be kind of a theatrical piece, (for lack of a better word), I'm really interested in the finish. I'm thinking something like a nickel plating or something like that. Something that just screams at you.

Depending on how much of a nerd about this book I am in the future, I may even get it engraved like Rolands.

Anyone else read the books?

Well if it's for show then definitely go with Colt or USFA. Colt is Colt (what else can I say) but USFA is actually superior to Colt in fit in finish. It's also quite a bit more expensive, and rightly so.

Nickel plating is neat, I was thinking of getting a nickel plated SAA but decided to go with the deep blue. If you want to go all the way, I would definitely get it engraved. I'm not too much of a fan of engraved pistols but I make special exceptions for the SAA with a perfect engraving job.

Nope haven't read the books. I might look into it when the semester dies down. Can you give us a taste?

Army GI
09-02-2010, 12:18 AM
How does .45lc recoil compare to .45ACP? I know it's gotta be harder since you don't have any action moving around to absorb the impulse, but I've never shot the caliber.

Sights are either/or for me. I do all my fun shooting with my semi auto's, this is mostly for fun and a little gunslinger memorabilia.

It depends on what load you get. The original black powder 45 Colt loads fired a 250gr bullet at (off the top of my head) 900-950fps depending on barrel length. This puts the kinetic energy at the muzzle right around 450-500ft/lbs which is like a moderate .357 Magnum load! So that should give you an idea of about the power.

Now there is a lot of extra info about there that talks about the .45 Smith and Wesson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Schofield) and the .45 Gov't being introduced because the .45 LC was too powerful for most troops to handle properly and they wanted the shorter .45 S&W to fit in both the Schofield and. Well that is probably true, I don't know and I don't care. I believe Remington "Green Box" .45 LC is loaded to these so-called .45 S&W velocity (a 250gr bullet at about 860fps).

Now there is a LOT of what's called "cowboy" ammo which is basically .45 LC that has been loaded down so that it can be fired in antique revolvers without risking a catastrophic explosion. I've never fired any of those but have been told they feel just a little stiffer than a .38 Special.

If you don't want to mess around with black powder but still want that stout .45 Colt load, you can try Buffalo Bore's Standard Pressure Heavy .45 Colt (http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=45) load. It simulates the full throttle black powder load which is safe enough to fire in a SAA but without the mess of BP. I've shot these before and they pretty much feel like the aforementioned .357 Magnum.

Army GI
09-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Finally - the 7.5" barrel (the original length) is a bit like swinging a broom around. The 5.5" "Artillery" length is the perfect balance IMO.

First of all: Beautiful pictures, man

Secondly: I agree 100% about the barrel length. If you want something purely for looks go for the 7.5" "Cavalry" length barrel. Otherwise, get the shorter barrel, much easier to shoot.

1911Luvr
09-02-2010, 12:31 AM
My suggestion is for a gun I just saw today at Turner's, and since I see your avatar pic I think it is not off base. Turner's had a GORGEOUS limited edition LWRS AR-15 with a spiral fluted barrel that I fell in love with. Only $3K for a 1 of 500 edition.

http://www.riflegear.com/images/product/large/839_1_.jpg

How can you not love this?!!!!

shellyzsweet
09-02-2010, 12:40 AM
wait.....so U wanted me to help pick out a gun for you??

ohh....I thought you were gonna buy ME a gun and I was gonna be kind enough to let you and help you get back into debt.

SINCE YOU MISLEAD ME....i'll be going now......

Miltiades
09-02-2010, 3:00 AM
Several years ago I bought a first generation Vaquero in polished stainless steel with a 7.5 inch barrel, similar to the one you describe. Mine is in .44 magnum rather than .45 LC. It has been a good gun and is fun to shoot - fairly accurate even though the rear sight is a groove in the top strap. The recoil is mild because the gun is so heavy. I put some white simulated ivory grips on it.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/RugerVaquero35.jpg

Booshanky
09-02-2010, 5:43 AM
Well if it's for show then definitely go with Colt or USFA. Colt is Colt (what else can I say) but USFA is actually superior to Colt in fit in finish. It's also quite a bit more expensive, and rightly so.

Nickel plating is neat, I was thinking of getting a nickel plated SAA but decided to go with the deep blue. If you want to go all the way, I would definitely get it engraved. I'm not too much of a fan of engraved pistols but I make special exceptions for the SAA with a perfect engraving job.

Nope haven't read the books. I might look into it when the semester dies down. Can you give us a taste?

I'll give you the opening line.

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed...."

Hell of a first line eh? IMO one of the greatest stories ever told. As far as genre, hrm......

Science fiction, fantasy, western. It's an odd mix-up, but it totally works.

Booshanky
09-02-2010, 5:44 AM
Boo,

I second the USFA recommendation; haven't bought one yet, but I will. I've examined several in person and they are the "real deal". If you really want a Colt look for a 2nd Generation.

If you're going to actually shoot it or carry it, be aware that you shouldn't carry a true SAA or clone with the hammer down on a live round -- there isn't anything to stop an impact to the hammer from setting the round off.

Some modern clones (like my Beretta Stampede pictured below, along with an El Paso Saddlery holster) have a hammer block so you can carry with 6 in the cylinder.

Also - Uberti makes excellent clones and provides them for Beretta, Cimmaron, and a couple of other manufacturers. Cimmaron is probably the best value for a shooter (heard at Tabor's that Uberti prices are going way up).

--Neill

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/DPP_0007.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/DPP_0002.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/northslope/DPP_0006.jpg

See, this is why I refrained from posting pics. It's 6:45AM and I've already creamed my jeans today....

Booshanky
09-02-2010, 5:46 AM
My suggestion is for a gun I just saw today at Turner's, and since I see your avatar pic I think it is not off base. Turner's had a GORGEOUS limited edition LWRS AR-15 with a spiral fluted barrel that I fell in love with. Only $3K for a 1 of 500 edition.

http://www.riflegear.com/images/product/large/839_1_.jpg

How can you not love this?!!!!

You're right, I can't not love that. It's radiculous.

Thing is, I've already got an AR that I'm super duper happy with. I don't gots no wheelgun.

And I think the next ar style weapon I'd like to pick up is an ACR, or if their prices don't go down in the next year, an XCR. I'm digging the whole multi caliber thing those rifles got going on.

Booshanky
09-02-2010, 6:25 AM
Man, these Uberti's are boner inducing as well. And a bit cheaper than USFA

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/single_action_cattleman.php

I'm kinda torn too. I kinda want something with some shine, something that just SCREAMS at you when you see it. But then I see that antique finish and I feel like it'd be more accurate with regard to the guns of Arthur Eld. I mean, no gun that's thousands of years old will be shiny like that....

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/callout_cattleman_old_west_finish_lg.jpg vs http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/callout_cattleman_full_nickel_finish_lg.jpg

dilligaffrn
09-02-2010, 6:55 AM
Coil or leaf? I'm not sure what that means.

Ruger uses coil springs (last longer) Colts 1873 Peacemaker uses a leaf spring.

Recoil is subjective, but I think it is on par w/45 ACP (not bad at all).

USFA make bad AZZ guns, beautiful stuff, but spendy.

The Ruger stuff can be had in stainless for the "bling factor".

For 1873 period guns you might want to check out the SASS boards, they run'em hard doing Cowboy action matches.

Booshanky
09-02-2010, 9:30 AM
Ruger uses coil springs (last longer) Colts 1873 Peacemaker uses a leaf spring.

Recoil is subjective, but I think it is on par w/45 ACP (not bad at all).

USFA make bad AZZ guns, beautiful stuff, but spendy.

The Ruger stuff can be had in stainless for the "bling factor".

For 1873 period guns you might want to check out the SASS boards, they run'em hard doing Cowboy action matches.

I'm still a bit confused, I didn't know there were any recoil springs in revolvers. Doing a google search for coil vs leaf just brings up auto stuff.

I'm guessing the spring is for the hammer?

dilligaffrn
09-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm still a bit confused, I didn't know there were any recoil springs in revolvers. Doing a google search for coil vs leaf just brings up auto stuff.

Correct!

trashman
09-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Exactamundo - it's the mainspring. I wouldn't really worry about coil vs. leaf, however; all Smith & Wesson revolvers except the small frame models use a leaf spring. Either are good for dozens of tens of thousands of rounds. IIRC the coilspring is better suited to small guns.

--Neill

coil example here:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/111260-j-frame-i-frame.html#post1192224

and leaf example here

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/94072-faqs.html#post1029060

Fishslayer
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Right now if money was no object I'd be looking to score/order a jen-yoo-wyne Colt 100th anniversary 1911. Not a wheelgun, but it IS a .45.:cool:

Money no object wheelgun for me right now would be a S&W Model of 1955.

Chris M
09-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I have no recommendations for a gun, but congrats on becoming debt-free. I've probably got about a year and a half to go before I pay off all my debts. I'm probably going to celebrate by getting into even more debt (buy a house). I haven't purchased a gun in over 2 years. I don't know if I can wait that much longer.