PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts on the following buis'

max1368
09-01-2010, 9:05 AM
I am currently running a LMT tactical rear sight behind an Aimpoint mounted on a LT-150. Thinking about adding a 3x mag to the system. Any thoughts or peronal experiences on any of the following will be greatly appreciated. KAC 200-600m (micro or standard); brownells HK style flip up with 4 apertures and Wilson Combat's rear flip up with elevation and windage adjustments. Thanks in advance.

Omega13device
09-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Welcome to Calguns. :)

Pretty much any flip-up buis made for the AR will be fine on a recreational rifle.

If this is your go-to self-defense rifle I'd say KAC, Troy, Matech or Magpul. I've tried all of them and they all work great. I've never tried the Brownells or WC sights.

Everyone has their preferred flavor and someone is always going to argue that one brand is "tougher" or "better" than the others, but unless you carry a gun for a living the distinctions are unlikely to ever matter.

CoyoteHunter555
09-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I like Troy

max1368
09-01-2010, 4:58 PM
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. I whole heartedly agree with your suggestions but I failed to elaborate on what my intentions are. I will run with a Troy if I can't get any input on the 3 I mentioned.

I have been running the LMT fixed rear sight as my primary with the RIBZ modification. I enjoy the ability to have poi = poa at different settings. Now I am enjoying the ease of the red dot but am thinking about adding a 3x mag behind it. Obviously, I have to removed the LMT. Just wondering if any of the 3 buis' I mentioned in my op will work as well as the LMT with RIBZ since they all have elevation adjustments.

Sorry for not being more specific earlier on.

Omega13device
09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
You're overthinking it.

Backup sights are just that - they're used as a last resort, not for shooting in High Power Rifle competition. Generally you just zero them at 50 yards and call it a day. If you've got an Aimpoint on that rifle it's implied that you'll be shooting sub-300 yards so worst case you just hold over a little.

That said, if you still want a flip-up BUIS with elevation adjustment I'd consider the Matech. It does what all the others do for a lot less money.

GuerrillaByNight
09-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I use the same MATECH model on my personal rifle as the one issued to me, and I love it.

http://store.a51tactical.com/images/matech1.jpg

max1368
09-02-2010, 3:50 AM
Upon thinking over my overthinking...lol... I find that you are absolutely right. I have my Aimpoint zeroed at 50yds and I am currently learning the holdover at different distances for my rifle. I will just apply the same holdover to my backup irons when I have them deployed.

Thanks for your insight and help. This is a great community to learn from.

CoyoteHunter555
09-02-2010, 4:13 AM
Upon thinking over my overthinking...lol... I find that you are absolutely right. I have my Aimpoint zeroed at 50yds and I am currently learning the holdover at different distances for my rifle. I will just apply the same holdover to my backup irons when I have them deployed.

Thanks for your insight and help. This is a great community to learn from.

Solid :cool2:

Rogu3
09-02-2010, 4:30 AM
I vote wilson, fully adjustable FTW

max1368
09-02-2010, 6:13 AM
I vote wilson, fully adjustable FTW

Can you go into a little detail on why you like the Wilson Combat rear sight? Thanks in advance for your input.

Rogu3
09-02-2010, 4:27 PM
Full-ly ad-just-a-ble? The peep is kinda big, but that can be fixed, I'm tryin to say if i'm down to my flip up iron sight, i want full adjustment, as much capability as possible.