PDA

View Full Version : coonan?

ag11988
09-01-2010, 12:32 AM
anyone own a coonan 357? always loved the 357 magnum and wanted to have a semi auto chambered in that caliber. anyone got one, shot one or is a fan of one?

maddoggie13
09-01-2010, 7:27 AM
Have both Derest Eagle and Coonan in 357 & 44 magnum...fun guns. Coonan is not as large or cool as the Derest Eagle.

SVRider
09-01-2010, 9:57 AM
The Coonans are a little long in the grip (front to back) so they feel a little different than a traditional 1911, much like an LAR Grizzly (but not as bad). Both the Coonan and Grizzly also feel a little bulky by comparison to the svelte lines/handling of Mr. Browning's original design.

Trigger is not 1911, but not bad. I haven't shot either in a number of years, but they are both a lot of fun. Big boom and muzzle flash. If you ever want to get everyone's attention at the range, shoot the Winchester white box 110JHP's out of the Coonan. Makes almost as much noise and flash as the Grizzly in 45WM! (hmmm....you make me feel like digging in the safe and going to the range! ;))

Aside from finding one for sale, the other hard part is magazines. Last I saw, they were north of $100/ea. I heard rumor that Coonan is going to start production again, but never really followed up to see if it would come to pass. Either way, you're not going to get one in California through normal channels unless you have family out of state or are LEO.

All in all, a neat piece of firearms history. Assuming you could get one, I would definitely opt for a Coonan over a Desert Eagle any day. Those things feel like they would make better clubs....

My $0.02...

dfletcher
09-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I had one, someone lopped off the full length dust cover so I got it cheap. It was reliable and well made, and the mags are about $125.00 each when they can be found.

Coonan is supposedly making them again:
http://www.coonaninc.com/news10.php

Of course, not OK to ship into CA but if found in CA perfectly legal for PPT.

nn3453
09-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I had one, someone lopped off the full length dust cover so I got it cheap. It was reliable and well made, and the mags are about $125.00 each when they can be found.

Nice, they are back in business? Did someone buy them out? I thought they went out of business a few years ago.

ag11988
09-01-2010, 7:44 PM
The Coonans are a little long in the grip (front to back) so they feel a little different than a traditional 1911, much like an LAR Grizzly (but not as bad). Both the Coonan and Grizzly also feel a little bulky by comparison to the svelte lines/handling of Mr. Browning's original design.

Trigger is not 1911, but not bad. I haven't shot either in a number of years, but they are both a lot of fun. Big boom and muzzle flash. If you ever want to get everyone's attention at the range, shoot the Winchester white box 110JHP's out of the Coonan. Makes almost as much noise and flash as the Grizzly in 45WM! (hmmm....you make me feel like digging in the safe and going to the range! ;))

Aside from finding one for sale, the other hard part is magazines. Last I saw, they were north of $100/ea. I heard rumor that Coonan is going to start production again, but never really followed up to see if it would come to pass. Either way, you're not going to get one in California through normal channels unless you have family out of state or are LEO.

All in all, a neat piece of firearms history. Assuming you could get one, I would definitely opt for a Coonan over a Desert Eagle any day. Those things feel like they would make better clubs....

My $0.02...

he has a website up and is making coonan 357 and the magazines there like a 8 week wait for shipping but i think there so bad *** id wait the 8 weeks just to get one.

ag11988
09-01-2010, 7:45 PM

why cant u ship them to CA?

nn3453
09-01-2010, 7:46 PM
he has a website up and is making coonan 357 and the magazines there like a 8 week wait for shipping but i think there so bad *** id wait the 8 weeks just to get one.

Not on the roster unfortunately.

CAL.BAR
09-01-2010, 8:21 PM
I e-mailed them today to ask if they will submit one to the CA DOJ - though I doubt they will since it looks like an original 1911 (i.e. no mag disconnect or loaded chamber indicator)