PDA

View Full Version : Sig p226 vs CZ 75 vs PT-92

SFgiants105
09-01-2010, 12:03 AM
I am new to handguns and am looking for a good 9mm for my first gun.
So far, the guns that pertain to my criteria are the p226, cz75 sp-01, and the Taurus PT-92 (beretta clone).

I have only shot the Sig, and from what I know Beretta 92s are as accurate with even a smoother trigger. But I have heard from owners that they are not as reliable as the Taurus. I've shot Glocks, 1911's, XDMs, and a USP (it was compact, tho) and cant take the plastic trigger.

Factors to consider:

1. Trigger pull
2. DA/SA hammer with decock (must have external hammer, so no Glocks)
3. Full metal construction (no composite)
4. Double stack mag
5. Cost and Reliability

If it weren't for cost, I would consider the Sig hands down. But if there is a gun that matches the Sig in all those fields and is cheaper, that would be awesome.

Any help is much appreciated.

jermzzzzzzz
09-01-2010, 12:20 AM
YOU HEARD WRONG! Beretta's are way more reliable than Taurus. If you get a Sig try to an older West German one. The DA trigger on the Sig is way smoother than the Beretta and the decocker is easier to reach without having to readjust your grip. The Beretta is still a good gun, carried it for six years in the AF with no problems but I still prefer a Sig.

elsolo
09-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Have you at least held each of these choices to see how they feel in your hand?

Oldnoob
09-01-2010, 1:29 AM
If price is part of factors, just get the CZ and get over with it. Why gamble with Taurus' QC (though I hear nothing but good on PT92/100 series, can't say the same with Taurus' other products) when you have CZ as a choice?

Full steel, great ego, more than a fair price and outstanding QC. Whatever trigger system you prefer, CZ75 have you covered. DA/SA, decocker, SAO... choose your poison.

Though, all that, if price isn't a factor, I'll choose my 226s over my CZ75B SA.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/DoubleSig2262.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/CZ75BSA.jpg

Grayblue
09-01-2010, 2:19 AM
P226 has the potential to be more reliable than M92 design.

M92 has almost twice the rail area(because there is another inner rail the barrel mates to the frame) plus the locking block surface that slides on parts.

Any foreign debris will increase the friction on those areas which is already wider to begin with. And, 9mm pushes the slide with less force than say a 40S&W or 45ACP, increasing the likely hood of excessive loss of slide velocity.

In most "civilized" conditions, it won't make much of a difference. But, I do think P226 holds an edge based on that design characteristics.

I've shot both SIG and Beretta, and Beretta does NOT have a smoother trigger than SIG. Trigger on both has a increase in trigger resistance toward the end around the point it actuates the firing pin block, but Beretta has more pressure stack that I really disliked.

Don't know much about CZ.

RaceDay
09-01-2010, 7:16 AM
You need to try them all. I own P228, CZ75, and M9. So the same general family as your questions but not the exact same guns. All are nice but I prefer the Sig over the CZ with the Beretta 3rd. I think 92 is same as M9 but with 3-dot sights (which I actually prefer over the M9 sights). I like the Sig trigger the best of my 3 guns. The CZ is nice but make sure the slide grip works for you.

All 3 are nice and enjoyable to shoot (there is a reason I have not sold the CZ or Beretta). Try and test drive each one.

Whatisthis?
09-05-2010, 11:30 AM
So far, the guns that pertain to my criteria are the p226, cz75 sp-01, and the Taurus PT-92 (beretta clone).

I have only shot the Sig, and from what I know Beretta 92s are as accurate with even a smoother trigger. But I have heard from owners that they are not as reliable as the Taurus. I've shot Glocks, 1911's, XDMs, and a USP (it was compact, tho) and cant take the plastic trigger.

Factors to consider:

1. Trigger pull
2. DA/SA hammer with decock (must have external hammer, so no Glocks)
3. Full metal construction (no composite)
4. Double stack mag
5. Cost and Reliability

If it weren't for cost, I would consider the Sig hands down. But if there is a gun that matches the Sig in all those fields and is cheaper, that would be awesome.

Any help is much appreciated.

I'm actually looking for something very similar to what you want as well, but conversion kits are big for me. So far I've come up with the Sig P226/P229 and the CZ 75. I shot the Sig P226 (only like 20 rounds) and enjoyed it much more than a glock 19 (only like 30 rounds). The CZ will most definitely be less expensive, however, you need to hold and shoot each one before deciding. Also, keep in mind that, for a little extra money, you can swap out grips (and possibly triggers... I don't know guns that well either).

nazgulnarsil
09-05-2010, 11:47 AM
used beretta cougar?

gregshin
09-05-2010, 12:27 PM
owned the p226 and the cz as well. Go with the cz.

Robidouxs
09-05-2010, 12:30 PM
I have shot both the Sig P226R and Beretta FS92. The Beretta has a solid feel regarding recoil control since it is a heavy gun. The Beretta is also huge!!! I could probably throw the gun at someone to defend myself as a last resort.

The Sig is just great. I can still make the Sig go bang even if I hold the pistol incorrectly. Sure I have brass fly into my face, but the pistol still goes bang and extracts the spent brass. I have smaller hands, but I am still able to easily reach the magazine release button. With the Beretta, I have issues detaching the magazine since my hands are smaller.

Regarding accuracy, the sights are right on the mark. My rounds strike exactly where I want them to hit 95% of the time. With the Beretta, it takes more concentration to achieve the same results as the Sig.

My opinion is to go with the Sig, but really go with what suits you best regardless of what I have indicated.

railroader
09-05-2010, 1:40 PM
I can't say anything about the sig but I have owned a taurus pt99 anda couple of cz pistols. Cz win hands down. They are easier to shoot accurately and they are more ergonomic. Both are very reliable but the taurus is just too big for a 9mm. Mark

oghl888
09-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Have all 3 myself. 226 and Taurus from early 90's, CZ from early 2000's.
The Taurus is surprisingly good for me. I like the trigger feel, crispy and clean, with a very short and consistent reset point. The grip is thicker in the back and results in less fatigue in a long session.
the 226 is nice, but it jumps a bit more in recoil. the trigger break is very clean, but the reset is long. I also don't like the slide stop --- just where my thumb wants to be.
The CZ fits the hand very well, and has a heftier feel (only steel frame in the trio). the only negative I can think of is the trigger feel: it cams the hammer just before the break, creating a consistent "creep" in the trigger. Mind you I've learned to live with it as I don't think of it as a match gun. the accuracy is provides is fine for what it is.

gasol1ne
09-06-2010, 12:48 AM
my advice would be to go a range and rent each one and see which one you like the most. each of those guns ergonomics are different.

for me since i have small hands, i would pick the CZ from those 3 since it has a smaller frame than a beretta and i can get a higher grip on it than a sig. I also like to shoot 1911s alot so the cz75 is the most similar to the 1911 so i like that.

For me i find that i cant shoot isosceles with a sig. The way my hand is sized and shaped i end up riding the slide release. if i shoot weaver then i can shoot the sig. As for the beretta, the frame is too wide and the trigger guard is too big. I find that i cant get my reaction hand high enough because of the bigger trigger guard. These impressions are based my size and shaped hands. So i really suggest you go and try them all and see which you prefer before spending money to buy one.

Quiet
09-06-2010, 12:59 AM

Out of those three, go with the SIG P226.
It's more accurate, reliable and has a better trigger than the other two.

Save your pennies, eat ramen for a few months and go buy the SIG.

SNEAKS
09-06-2010, 1:10 AM
I have owned a sig226 blackwater, berreta 92fs and cz 75 sp01 and the cz is by far my favorite. It makes better groupings than some of my 1911s that cost almost double including my SA 1911 9mm Target with custom work.

BigBronco
09-06-2010, 7:08 AM
I just went through the debate on getting the Sig 226 or the 92fs. I had shot the 92 and I did like the gun. It was Big and Sexy. However was it the gun I would want to weigh myself down with if the "SHTF" I decided however on buying the 226R with night sights and it even came with a Free Sig Tactical Light/Laser. After shooting the 226 for the first time last Wednesday. I am absolutely confident I made the right decision. I am a wheel gun fan first, I must say though the Sig 226 is one of the most comfortable guns I have shot. If ever a pistol felt like part of my hand during fire this one was it. I will never part with this one. I would say at this time to Chuck, God rest your soul and this will be the one they pry from my cold dead hand!

!@#$
09-06-2010, 12:17 PM
out of the sig and cz i kept the cz.

a w.german sig and most of the older sigs are still good pistols but the newer guns are not what sig used to be. poor QC and poor quality parts. the guy that tanked kimber was hired on to do the same for sig. record profits by selling turds with the once great sig name.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1080303&page=1