PDA

View Full Version : Convert Beretta 92fs to 'G' model???

choprzrul
08-31-2010, 10:46 PM
I would dearly love to convert my fs to G functionality. Can this be done by changing slide internals, or does the entire slide/barrel assy have to be changed? Parts sources?

>

erblo
09-01-2010, 6:08 AM
Last time I checked you had to replace the whole slide.

choprzrul
09-03-2010, 4:04 AM
Do you know of a source? Do you have to have the barrel refitted to a new slide?

buffybuster
09-03-2010, 7:57 AM
I would dearly love to convert my fs to G functionality. Can this be done by changing slide internals, or does the entire slide/barrel assy have to be changed? Parts sources?

>

Already went down this road. The safety/decock is machined differently for the G than the F, so you cannot change out the parts. If you have a full machine shop and nothing but time you could "reinvent the wheel". Easier just to either find a whole 92G pistol or a 92G topend. If you find just the 92G slide, you can use your existing barrel/locking block.

sevensix2x51
09-03-2010, 9:11 AM
Is there an advantage to the g? I thought it was the same except for decock only. Genuinely curious.

orangeusa
09-03-2010, 9:41 AM
CONVERTING 92 'F' to 'G':
Can't be done. And I'm the last guy who would say things can't be done. A lot of guys who are smarter than I and one machinist have tried. One guy defeated the safety, but it's not a safe or recommended change. I.e. the lever does not pop back up like on a 'G' model. Get a different slide. Check out berettaforum.net threads - there are plenty, and just not possible.

CONVERTING OTHER BERETTAS from 'F' to 'G':
Surprisingly, it CAN be done on the PX4 and Cougars. It most probably can be done on the 90-Two and the new 92A1 (neither are CA guns, but I had a 90-Two for a while).

REASON WHY FOLKS WANT THIS FEATURE:
As to the reason - when drawing from holster - you don't have to worry about sweeping the safety off with your thumb. I'm not a LEO, but have taken some tactical classes, and I never found sweeping the safety off hard or a problem at all.

Most folks decock and put on safety when holstering, then when in holster flick off safety. But there is the possibility decocker can get bumped down into safety...

sevensix2x51
09-03-2010, 9:47 AM
Hm, thanks! My next buy Is going to be a 92, and this clears it up for me. I think ill stick with the f.

orangeusa
09-03-2010, 9:55 AM
'G's are really hard to find. I REAEEEAAAALLLLY wish I could get a 92A1. It has the positives of the 90-Two with the look and grips of a 92FS. Stupid CA and the requirement for a stupid 'magazine safety'. That requirement knocks out 99% of all new pistols. Most others on the list were grandfathered in before that requirement..

9mmepiphany
09-03-2010, 4:14 PM
my favorite 92 is the Elite II which has the shorter barrel, stainless slide with reinforced locking lugs, dovetailed front sight and extended mag release...it comes as a "G" model.

when LAPD issued the Beretta 92, they chose the FS model, but the also issued a Don Hume holster which would push off the safety when the thumb strap was snapped.

an advantage of the "G" model is that the de-cocker snaps back up when it is depressed. that seems pretty straight forward, but then you can just push the regular one back up after you have decocked. the "hidden" advantage of the "G" model is not as obvious. when you rack the slide, either to chamber a round or as part of a tap-n-rack, you hands will depress the safety and leave it down unless you are shooting a "G"...you have to remember to flick it back up