PDA

View Full Version : Moved from AZ to CA

ADH
08-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi all,

I just moved here (bay area) over the summer from AZ to accept a new job. I've always been a strong Second Amendment supporter and avid firearms enthusiast so this transition has been really rough. I'm really glad I found Calguns.

If no one ever reads this post, that's fine. I suppose I'm just venting :) . I just can't believe how much the Bay Area feels like it's not even part of these United States. I've had a CCW permit in AZ for the last ten years (and you don't even need one now), I've built at least half a dozen ARs, and I've never felt like a second class citizen. Until now.

After reading San Mateo county's CCW requirements, I'm horrified. What "good cause", exactly, do they think we should have to demonstrate in order to be able to exercise our constitutionally enumerated civil rights?

And the rifles! Am I really supposed to believe that the world is a better, safer place because I left my flash suppressors and LOP adjustable stocks in AZ. I don't understand how it got too be this bad.

The really hard part is that CA has offered me so much. Really it has. The job is better, the climate is better, the schools are better, it's beautiful here and I'm 20 minutes from the beach. I'm a lucky guy to be here and I know it. It's just been hard to enjoy any of it knowing that I have voluntarily forfeited my civil rights in exchange.

In any case, sorry for the long rant. I really am happy to be here and if anyone can give me some pointers on where and how to get involved I would welcome the tips. Events, legal funds, whatever. I'd much rather help in the fight than just sit back and feel sorry for myself.

Thanks!

bjl333
08-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Welcome to the Republic of California and Calguns !!! You'll have a lot of reading material on our forum for sure ... :D

Make sure you get real friendly with the Flow Charts so you wouldn't get busted ... Kinda makes you wanna go back to AZ huh ??? :p

If its a fight you're looking for then you've got yourself in the right place !!!

bjl333
08-31-2010, 10:46 PM
if anyone can give me some pointers on where and how to get involved I would welcome the tips. Events, legal funds, whatever. I'd much rather help in the fight than just sit back and feel sorry for myself.

There are usually lots of announcements and events. Take your time and look through all the forums / sub-forums. There are soooo much info to be had here in Calguns. I am still new myself, only since 12/09.

The Calguns Foundation helps with legal issues. If a person gets arrested for something totally LEGAL/firearm related then CGF might be the place to yell help to. They also take contributions to keep them going.

bsg
08-31-2010, 11:07 PM
welcome to the forum. when you joined the forum here... you came to the right place.

Joe
08-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Welcome to calguns and to cali.

turbogg
09-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Welcome to Calguns! We know you must be suffering from culture shock brought to by the lovely lib-dems of Cali! Sad.

2Bear
09-01-2010, 12:30 AM
After reading San Mateo county's CCW requirements, I'm horrified. What "good cause", exactly, do they think we should have to demonstrate in order to be able to exercise our constitutionally enumerated civil rights?

There's hope on the horizon. Sacramento County is now effectively Shall Issue for CCWs. This should spread like a California wildfire to the rest of the state in the foreseeable future. ("Two weeks" is the running joke...)

The good cause required, if any, will be simply, "self-defense."

Colt-45
09-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Better schools? can you elaborate on that please? I grew up going to liberal indoctrination schools but they didn't work on me. ;)

I'm a San Mateo County native. I now live in the Fresno Area and love it. Seems like the last truly free area of the State, we basically have "shall issue" here when it comes to ccw. Besides missing the "Climates best by government test" I don't miss anything else, including those damn hippies.

ADH
09-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the welcome notes! It looks like I do have a lot of reading to catch up on!

Better schools? can you elaborate on that please?

Sure thing. One would be hard pressed to find worse public schools than in the area of Phoenix I came from. Almost every public school within a ten mile radius of my house was listed as "under-performing". I didn't really care too much about it when my wife and I moved into that area, but I have a little daughter now who's going to be school age very soon. I know I'm going to have to be vigilant about the liberal slant, but the school academic performance records in my new zip code seem to be much better. It's really more of a "bad zip code to a good zip code" situation than it is a "AZ to CA" thing.

Thanks again for all the replies!