PDA

View Full Version : want to purchase handgun from a friend

noveskePL
08-31-2010, 10:46 PM
from one CA resident to another (private). What steps do I have to take? 10 day wait still?

can I purchase a .50 Desert Eagle from another CA resident who bought it pre-ban?

mds2004
08-31-2010, 10:55 PM
Youre fine with a PPT (private party transfer). With the PPT the handgun does not have to be on the approved list. You both need to go to a dealer, and you will pay $35 ($25 DROS + $10 fee) and then the 10 day wait begins. Another plus is that you arent limited to one handgun per 30 days with the PPT :)

Ed_Hazard
08-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Pretty much what was stated above. The buyer will need to have his HSC card prior to purchase. Available at dealer for $25 testing fee.

Cyc Wid It
08-31-2010, 11:13 PM
1. Ten day waiting period.
2. $25 fee for background check.
3. Clean criminal and mental health record.
4. Valid California Driverís License or California Identification Card.
5. Handgun safety certificate.
This means that you will need to take and pass a 30-question test, in the store, to receive this certificate. There is a $25 fee and it is good for five years. A hunting license is not acceptable. The exemptions are:

a. Active or retired peace officer.
b. Active or retired military (20 years and out).
c. Peculiar and limited authority peace officer.
d. CCW holders.
e. Certified firearm instructors.
f. FFL holders.

6. You need to be a California resident, and will need to prove your residency by providing ONE of the following items:
a. Rental or lease agreement.
b. Utility bill within the last three months.
c. Property deed.
d. Government license with expiration date.
e. Signed, dated and notarized rental agreement or contract.

Unacceptable proofs of residency are:
a. Cellular phone bill.
b. Passport.
c. Pay stub.

7. When you purchase or pick up your firearm, you will need to perform a safety demonstration with the gun you are purchasing, in the store.
This requires that you follow all firearm safety rules, checking to see that the firearm is unloaded, remove a trigger lock from the gun, load one dummy round into the gun and chamber the round, and unload and relock the firearm.
8. Before leaving the store, you must have a California approved lock box, safe, or trigger lock for your firearm.
9. You will need to have your thumbprint taken.

Anchors
09-01-2010, 1:03 AM
8. Before leaving the store, you must have a California approved lock box, safe, or trigger lock for your firearm.

Just to clarify. For handguns you need a trigger lock regardless of whether you have a safe/lock box. And it has to be purchased at pick-up or within the last 30 days (with receipt.) (Guns that come with factory trigger locks are okay.)

Tip:
If you have any trigger locks laying around you can sell them to a friend for $1 and buy them back for $1 (creating receipts for both transactions.)
Then just bring the receipt your friend wrote up when selling it back to you.

JanG
09-01-2010, 2:50 AM
i thought locks have to be purchased new within 30 days...

Ed_Hazard
09-01-2010, 2:58 AM
i thought locks have to be purchased new within 30 days...

Yes they do. The recipt would show that you purchased the lock withen the 30 day window.

maxmonster
09-01-2010, 9:13 AM
you can use car registration as proof of residency too

redcliff
09-01-2010, 9:18 AM
I've done ppt's at 3 different gun stores; two of them waived the trigger lock due to my having a safe, the third one required me to buy a new trigger lock. YMMV.

daveinwoodland
09-01-2010, 9:25 AM
Question on two things. I am ex military (not retired though with pay),
and question number two, I do have a FFL C&R license.

Does that count as exempt??? Thank you

jtmkinsd
09-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Question on two things. I am ex military (not retired though with pay),
and question number two, I do have a FFL C&R license.

Does that count as exempt??? Thank you

You must also have a CA Certificate of Eligibility (COE)...those two things will exempt you from the HSC requirement ON CURIO AND RELIC HANDGUNS ONLY

kmca
09-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I've done ppt's at 3 different gun stores; two of them waived the trigger lock due to my having a safe, the third one required me to buy a new trigger lock. YMMV.

The first two stores were almost right, if you filled out the safe affidavit. That fulfills the California requirement. You would need a lock (not necessarily purchased within 30 days) to fulfill the Federal requirement. The 3rd store did okay.

Whatisthis?
09-05-2010, 7:37 PM
Related to OP but not wanting to start a new thread... So you can PPT a gun off roster, but can you PPT 11+ round mags? So my friend has three 15 round mags for his Sig P226, could he legally sell one to me? Does it change if he PPT the gun to me along with the mags?

Tank 57
09-05-2010, 8:17 PM
Cannot PPT Hi-Cap mags.Had to sell my Glock without the mags.

Whatisthis?
09-05-2010, 8:30 PM
Ok, but some PPT in the private sales section comment about having mag rebuilds... Is this for out of state purchasers?