PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Block handgun oil and preservation

beep_gun
08-31-2010, 8:10 PM
Hello, I have a Bulgarian Makarov at my ffl and it smells strongly of motor oil. Smell is like a like an auto engine. Do they use motor oil to lubricate their guns for daily use? Or when did the gun get preserved in motor oil in europe? The gun looks good and functions good albeit used a bit.

Gonna clean her up and smelling like hoppes #9 or neutral smell when she's outa jail. How should I clean the gun? She's also getting a custom wooden grip.

B

OneSevenDeuce
08-31-2010, 8:23 PM
I don't know the history of your gun but I can tell you that having see quite a few guns that came out of eastern europe or were used in the third world, they sometimes used WHATEVER to lube their weapons. Motor oil is a possibility, but I know of nowhere that it was standard.

beep_gun
08-31-2010, 8:37 PM
Well, I can say the oil smell is pretty distinctive. The gun stank like a machine. Not that that's bad.. Just didn't expect it to smell like an old engine.

OneSevenDeuce
08-31-2010, 8:39 PM
There are some oils out there designed for guns that smell pretty foul. But hey, if it works it works, right?

steve91104
08-31-2010, 8:45 PM
Could it be cosmoline?

OneSevenDeuce
08-31-2010, 8:47 PM
Wish I could smell your gun (does that sound weird at all?). Cosmoline has a distinctive smell. Not at all like motor oil I would say.

beep_gun
08-31-2010, 8:52 PM
Could it be cosmoline?

What does that smell like? The smell is close to what you'd get outa deep oil and gas. Ya ever go over an oiled road? Like that.