PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Lead Thru Glock?

juelz919
08-31-2010, 4:33 PM
1st I'd like to thank you guys for your patience with me lately. But I am having a hard time choosing my next pistol.

and now I've been reading that glocks CAN in fact shoot lead.

Awhile back I was gonna buy a 19 but than i heard they dont shoot lead. All I shoot is lead so i stopped looking at them. But yesterday I saw the lonewolf barrels that can shoot lead. This got me back into glocks, but now I am reading that
1.) Factory glock barrels are better than lonewolf
2.) Glocks can shoot lead anyway

If anyone has advice regarding the numbered statements I would appreciate it if you shared it with me : )

Corbin Dallas
08-31-2010, 4:37 PM
Buy moly coated lead bullets and you can shoot all you want through the factory barrel.

Lead is ok, but as the round count increases so does the fouling. You MUST clean the barrel about every 100-200 rounds depending on how hard the lead is.

Moly coated bullets do not leave lead behind but do smoke a bit more.

juelz919
08-31-2010, 4:46 PM
I cast my own bullets..

but do the glock barrels lead at the same rate as regular barrels?

JTROKS
08-31-2010, 5:53 PM
This is straight from Glockmeister, " It is not a good idea to shoot bare lead bullets from your Glock. There are two basic reasons, the first is that the polygonal rifling in a Glock barrel really grips the bullet - this causes lead bullets to leave heavy deposits of lead when the gun is fired - heavy deposits of lead can lead to over-pressure problems - over-pressure problems can lead to nasty things like case failures. The second reason is that where the chamber meets the bore there is a sharp full edge (standard rifling does not have such a pronounced edge). This edge can shave off lead from the bullet and cause a headspace problem (the round will not fully seat) - again, this can lead to things like a case failure. Shoot plated or jacketed bullets only".

Some folks claim they have not had any issues shooting bare hard cast lead bullets through their factory barrel Glocks, but I've seen and heard of case head separation caused by raised pressures due to lead build up and the pistols involved are Glocks. Any pistol can kaboom if you leave enough lead fouling in the bore while firing a high pressure round like a 9mm or 40 S&W. I usually don't shoot lead bullets through my Glocks' factory barrel, but if I do I usually check the fouling build up say every 100 rounds.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-31-2010, 6:08 PM
Fire unjacketed lead rounds through your Glock's factory barrel and you stand a significant chance of damaging the weapon and injuring yourself. I have personally repaired a Glock 21 which was damaged as a direct result of the use of nonjacketed lead bullets -it doesn't have to be a "high pressure round like a 9mm or 40 S&W".

If you want to fire unjacketed lead rounds, buy an aftermarket barrel with standard rifling and go for it.

juelz919
08-31-2010, 9:49 PM
Hmm.