PDA

View Full Version : G20L + 9x25 Dillon + 90gr XTP = 2054fps, and climbing...

DRAB_81
08-30-2010, 8:10 PM
I finally got a chance to load up some 9x25 Dillon to test with my chrony. Just in case some of you don't know, the 9x25 Dillon is a 10mm case necked down to 9mm. In other words, it's a 'roided out .357sig.

This cartridge is definitely a kick in the ***. I started out slow, but I have worked up to a High of 2054fps, and an average of 2011fps with 90gr Hornady XTP's. I am in the process of tightening up my 90gr groups, as well as doing some load development with 115gr XTP's. My powders of choice so far have been Longshot & Blue Dot, and I have used CCI300's WLP's and CCI350's. I may dig into my can of 800X too at some point. Longshot and CCI350's have been the best combination for me so far. The Longshot loads are so loud, that a lady came out of the office at the outdoor range where I was shooting, to check on me. She thought she was going to have to rip me for shooting a rifle on the pistol range, but got really confused when all she saw was me and my G20L. The Blue Dot loads are the most fun I have ever had at an indoor range. Loud, high velocity and they throw the biggest fireball I have ever seen out of any handgun I have shot.

This is mainly just for fun, and to further develop my knowledge as a handloader. Although, I can see myself using it to hunt varmints and coyotes with both the 90gr & 115gr XTP's.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/G20L9x25Dillon1.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/G20L9x25Dillon2.jpg

Oceanbob
08-30-2010, 8:16 PM
"roided out .357 sig..?..." hahahah....

I've heard about this round and how LOUD and ZIPPY it is......now I've gotta get on the Double Tap website and order up a barrel....(what am I gonna tell the wife...?..)

Thanks for the range report..and what a great looking Long Slide Glock 20.!

http://i35.tinypic.com/wwkzzq.jpg

DRAB_81
08-30-2010, 8:24 PM
I got my barrel from American Gunworks, blindmarked for $114 shipped. The barrel with the logo is $100 shipped. Check out their website, good deals on all kinds of Glock stuff...

Oceanbob
08-30-2010, 8:25 PM
Thanks...!...good pricing.!

JTROKS
08-30-2010, 8:37 PM
That is gotta be so much fun to shoot. What kind of groups were you getting out to 25 yards? I remember the 9x25 back in the days Rob Leatham was still shooting it and at least 2 shooters at the local USPSA club. I hated holding the timer for those guys, they had a 10 port compensator with the first 3 big ones having a reverse rake directing the blast and shockwave towards me. I swear my tooth fillings were gonna pop out if the stage called for 50 rounds. You should try WW296 with 115 or 125 grainers, they make the gun sound like an AK47 if you tap the trigger right.

SVRider
08-30-2010, 9:17 PM
Congrats! I (after a 2 year wait) finally got a solid top G20L in 10mm. First trip to the range it had a few teething problems, so back to LWD it went. They corrected the problems (even sent a video of them test firing it) and sent it back. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.....

.....but when I do get around to loading for it, I've got a bunch of .40cal Nosler 135's for it. Supposed to make better than 1,700fps out of the 6".

Now all I need to do is find the time to do some load development (probably be better to find some time to shoot first!)

Let us know how the progress goes.

(PS....I picked up a can of 800X a while back for load development as well. Someone told me to be real careful with that stuff (in 10mm). Sounds like it is pretty easy to jump in pressure with small changes, so play safely)

DRAB_81
08-31-2010, 6:31 AM
.....but when I do get around to loading for it, I've got a bunch of .40cal Nosler 135's for it. Supposed to make better than 1,700fps out of the 6".

I thought so too, but the more I read about loading the 135gr Nosler to that velocity, the more I want to stay away from that load. The highest velocity data I have seen posted, shows the 135gr Nosler @ 1670fps using 800X out of a 6" barrel. No one seems to be comfortable with loading it up that high anymore though. For now, I'm more than happy with a 155gr XTP @ 1450+fps as my 10mm "fun" round. Be careful when you get around to loading those Noslers.

Corbin Dallas
08-31-2010, 6:36 AM
I finally got a chance to load up some 9x25 Dillon to test with my chrony. Just in case some of you don't know, the 9x25 Dillon is a 10mm case necked down to 9mm. In other words, it's a 'roided out .357sig.

This cartridge is definitely a kick in the ***. I started out slow, but I have worked up to a High of 2054fps, and an average of 2011fps with 90gr Hornady XTP's. I am in the process of tightening up my 90gr groups, as well as doing some load development with 115gr XTP's. My powders of choice so far have been Longshot & Blue Dot, and I have used CCI300's WLP's and CCI350's. I may dig into my can of 800X too at some point. Longshot and CCI350's have been the best combination for me so far. The Longshot loads are so loud, that a lady came out of the office at the outdoor range where I was shooting, to check on me. She thought she was going to have to rip me for shooting a rifle on the pistol range, but got really confused when all she saw was me and my G20L. The Blue Dot loads are the most fun I have ever had at an indoor range. Loud, high velocity and they throw the biggest fireball I have ever seen out of any handgun I have ever shot.

This is mainly just for fun, and to further develop my knowledge as a handloader. Although, I can see myself using it to hunt varmints and coyotes with both the 90gr & 115gr XTP's.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/G20L9x25Dillon1.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/G20L9x25Dillon2.jpg

Nice setup. Is that the LWD solid top?

SVRider
08-31-2010, 8:28 AM
I thought so too, but the more I read about loading the 135gr Nosler to that velocity, the more I want to stay away from that load. The highest velocity data I have seen posted, shows the 135gr Nosler @ 1670fps using 800X out of a 6" barrel. No one seems to be comfortable with loading it up that high anymore though. For now, I'm more than happy with a 155gr XTP @ 1450+fps as my 10mm "fun" round. Be careful when you get around to loading those Noslers.

Thanks for the heads up.

Even at 1,600, it's going to be pretty flat shooting. I don't have that big of a need for speed, although the idea of "holding on" (instead of over) for 100yd pistol shots is appealing.

Let us know how things turn out for you with the 9....Good luck!

DRAB_81
08-31-2010, 6:43 PM
That is gotta be so much fun to shoot. What kind of groups were you getting out to 25 yards?

When I tested them, I was only really trying to avoid shooting my chrony. They all hit within about a 3" group @ 25yds, so I definitely need to tighten it up. Between actually trying to shoot tighter groups, and trying different powder charges, I'm guessing I can get it down to around 1.5"-2".

Nice setup. Is that the LWD solid top?

No it's the open top model. I wanted to keep my options open in case I decide to run a ported barrel somewhere down the line.

J-cat
09-01-2010, 7:55 AM
When I had my G24, I was seeing 1800 FPS using my KKM 357 Sig barrel. I was using Universal Clays and Power Pistol. Damn accurate too, I shot a 1" group at 25 yards with that combo.

DRAB_81
09-01-2010, 8:25 AM
When I had my G24, I was seeing 1800 FPS using my KKM 357 Sig barrel. I was using Universal Clays and Power Pistol. Damn accurate too, I shot a 1" group at 25 yards with that combo.

I'm sure I can get my groups down to 1" @ 25yds, I just didn't want to say it until I could prove it. What grain bullet did you get your 357sig up to 1800fps? That is flat out screaming for 357sig. I'm guessing you were well over max, if it was 115gr. Even DoubleTap's "advertised" velocity for their 115gr JHP wouldn't get 1800fps out of a 6" barrel.

Since there is no published load data for the 9x25 Dillon, I have had to start with other loaders' data for Blue Dot, and develop my own data with Longshot. My plan is to work up my 90gr XTP's to 2100-2200fps, and my 115gr XTP's to 1800-1900fps. As long as pressures cooperate, and the precision is there, it should continue be a really fun round. I'm sure I'll end up trying Power Pistol, after I get done with Longshot and Blue Dot.

vta
09-02-2010, 1:04 AM
nice work! thats pretty close to how the double tap factory loads perform at 95 gr. except they sell them for almost a buck a round! you got me motivated to work on loads for my glock 20!

J-cat
09-02-2010, 7:28 AM
I'm sure I can get my groups down to 1" @ 25yds, I just didn't want to say it until I could prove it. What grain bullet did you get your 357sig up to 1800fps? That is flat out screaming for 357sig. I'm guessing you were well over max, if it was 115gr. Even DoubleTap's "advertised" velocity for their 115gr JHP wouldn't get 1800fps out of a 6" barrel.

Since there is no published load data for the 9x25 Dillon, I have had to start with other loaders' data for Blue Dot, and develop my own data with Longshot. My plan is to work up my 90gr XTP's to 2100-2200fps, and my 115gr XTP's to 1800-1900fps. As long as pressures cooperate, and the precision is there, it should continue be a really fun round. I'm sure I'll end up trying Power Pistol, after I get done with Longshot and Blue Dot.

I was using a 90gr Gold Dot and the XTP. I was using max book loads, nothing more. Remember this was a 6" barrel.

The only problem, actually a huge problem, was the locking block in the frame peened the hell out of the slide. I sold the gun because of that.

DRAB_81
09-02-2010, 8:12 AM
nice work! thats pretty close to how the double tap factory loads perform at 95 gr. except they sell them for almost a buck a round! you got me motivated to work on loads for my glock 20!

Thanks man! I'm happy this motivates another 10mm loader. Shoot me a PM if you need any help with anything, if I can't help I can point you in the right direction. Funny you should mention DoubleTap's "performace" though. I bought 2 boxes of 10mm 200gr WFNGC (advertised 1300fps / 4.6" barrel), and when I tested them with my chrony they averaged 1217fps with my 6" barrel. I loaded up my own with the same bullet, and I'm averaging 1267fps so far. DT's 9x25 Dillon 95gr FMJ advertises 2000fps out of a 6" barrel, but I'd be surprised if it touches 1900. There are A LOT of unsatisfied DT customers out there, atleast the ones that know the real velocities are. Buffalo Bore seems to be way more accurate with advertised velocities.

I was using a 90gr Gold Dot and the XTP. I was using max book loads, nothing more. Remember this was a 6" barrel.

The only problem, actually a huge problem, was the locking block in the frame peened the hell out of the slide. I sold the gun because of that.

Ok, that makes more sense now. I made sure I mentioned the G24's 6" barrel in my post, but I haven't read about too many guys running anything lighter than 115gr in 357sig so I had to ask. That sucks about your G24, I've always wanted one...