PDA

View Full Version : No FMJ ammo at shoorting range.

jerryb78
05-10-2006, 10:38 PM
i went to the shooting range at San Leandro today and they told me that you can not shoot surplus ammo there. and it also seem that other shooting range are also doing this. (rifle FMJ surplus ammo)

i have not been to these range in a longtime and was suprise when they told me this. I can only use softpoint type ammo or hunting ammo. Absolutely no FMJ surplus. they even ask to inspect your ammo.

well, if i have to buy special ammo just to shoot my old gun, i don't think i can afford this. jsut have to reload my own. and some of the old rifle we collect and shoot....you can't get ammo for. a least at a resonable price and no gunstore carry everycartriage and almost all are special order my hornady or other similer ammo maker.

i forgot to ask them why? anybody know.?
where do you guys go shooting in the Bay area that allow surplus FMJ ammo ?

thx in advance

taloft
05-10-2006, 10:46 PM
What Caliber were you using? Was the milsurp ammo steel cased? Some ranges have berm stops that are susceptible to hot spots, is that the case here?

I know that some ranges won't let you use Wolf ammo because of the smoke factor.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-10-2006, 11:03 PM
San Leandro Optimists range says the FMJ ban is because they are so close to the Oakland airport and they are afraid of riccochets.

Just go to Chabot Gun Club. You can shoot surplus and even AP ammo there.

http://www.chabotgunclub.com/

jerryb78
05-11-2006, 12:04 AM
i was going to shoot .223 and 7.62 x 54 (mini 14 and svt 40) i end up shooting only the mini 14. it was a disappointment as Traders on Davis St. did not have any ammo that i can shoot. they only carry the surplus stuff.

i guess it not the steel case causeing hot spot, not the smoke from the ammo, but the riccochets like Amenment II said.

but hell!!! that does not sound right at all, i say it impossible....but anything is possible i guess. think science and physic and you should have the answer, my answer is the opposit from San Leandro Opimists Range. but that why they call them self Opimists. They have to protect them self from any possible lawsuit or damage to anyone and anything outside the facility.

i just shook my head, but that's the way they operate. can't blame them.

but thank for tell me about the Chabot club. i'll check that place next time i go out.

San Leandro Optimists range says the FMJ ban is because they are so close to the Oakland airport and they are afraid of riccochets.

Just go to Chabot Gun Club. You can shoot surplus and even AP ammo there.

http://www.chabotgunclub.com/

Lester
05-13-2006, 11:32 AM
It's not because of the steel cases and not because of the smoke. It's because much military ammo and modern Wolf ammo have steel core bullets which can penetrate many backstops. They should put a magnet to the bullets and if it is steel, the magnet will be attracted to it. Just a real simple test.

jerryb78
05-13-2006, 12:26 PM
It's not because of the steel cases and not because of the smoke. It's because much military ammo and modern Wolf ammo have steel core bullets which can penetrate many backstops. They should put a magnet to the bullets and if it is steel, the magnet will be attracted to it. Just a real simple test.

yeah, i understand that. but they did not even put a magnet up to it. they just inspect the ammo and say i can't shoot these here.

i don't think it is that easy to tell the different between lead core and steel core, with out testing it. i do agree that a lot of surplus ammo is steel core, but there are also tons of stuff that are lead core. check shotgun news.

basically, and they told me this. if the lead is shown at the tip of the bullet, then it is ok to shoot it there.

so a coupleof day ago, i went to spent 35.00 buck for two box of 20. that's a bit expensive. but still nice to have around. i'll probally go shoot else where that have no problem with FMJ Ammo.

fal_762x51
05-13-2006, 5:54 PM
Lester,

I hate to tell you, but Wolf does not have a steel core bullet. Also, the steel jacket on those bullets won't penetrate the plate. The magnet attraction is to the jacket, not the actual bullet hence people thing they are steel core.

Most military surplus, unless marked, are made of mild steel mix or lead with a steel jacket.

Boomer1961
05-13-2006, 8:00 PM
Lester,

I hate to tell you, but Wolf does not have a steel core bullet. Also, the steel jacket on those bullets won't penetrate the plate. The magnet attraction is to the jacket, not the actual bullet hence people thing they are steel core.

Most military surplus, unless marked, are made of mild steel mix or lead with a steel jacket.

FMJ ammo is known to have much greater penetrating power and known to richochet rather than fall apart making it unpredicatable.

This one is being brought out by the anti-gunners (who also say the soft point stuff is to dangerous because it expands/disintegrates in you body thus increasing damage from such-therefore I conclude they want me to shoot paper spit wads out of my gun).......but also discussed by the shooting enthusiast industry so it is not just a gimmick or politics.

As for the steel core, it may matter at some ranges depending on the back stop. For a outdoor range with a big berm it should not matter.

It comes down to the design/location of the range and what is appropriate to shoot. Just like a residential street is not designed for folks going 65mph.

I think it is a good thing for the ranges to understand their design and limit the type of shooting to what is appropriate lest we have a tragic incident that is fed upon by the frenzied media on a slow news day that talk about the High Power Large Caliber Assualt Machine Gun With Armor Piercing bullets that shoot hollow point and cause far more lethal wounds that can also penetrate a car engine block and shoot a 400 passenger jet plane from the sky at over 2 miles and are made by immigran Italians (ie Mafia) in old airplane factories outside of the gang infested neighborhoods in Southern Califorinia that import illeagel immigrants to make these weapons where their is a massive problem of illeagel immigrant stealing these weapons for drugs from Columbians who trade the weapons for Osama Cash to be used in Iraq against our soldiers where they are brought home illeagaly by soldiers who captured them then leave them loaded in their bedroom where their child finds the loaded weapon then proceeds to shoot his parents accidentally shoot their parents 10 times each (he was limited to those darn 10 round magazines so that law does work!) then runs down to his school and shoots that place up then himself then the gun is confiscated and melted into steel that is used to make a bridge, but the steel is of such inferior quality that it collapses as the Kennedy motorcade on its way to the rehab clinic drives over it tragically killing another Kennedy with one of those dang guns!:D

More gun laws I say, More gun laws!

jerryb78
05-13-2006, 11:18 PM
you sure have an interesting mind and a very creative, yet a very dark one. Mr. Boomer1961............but a person's mind is a terrible thing to waste. so don't waste it........ LOL :D

P.S. how many time did you watch Lord of War? you dvd player probally need to be replace........LOL :D

phish
05-16-2006, 7:26 AM
San Leandro also doesn't allow you to shoot rimfire at the 100 yard line. :confused:

maybe they think it doesn't have the range?

NRAhighpowershooter
05-16-2006, 8:27 AM
The biggest problem with the Davis St. range and the no FMJ and 22lr's at 100yds, is because those berms are MANY DECADES old!! There is SOO much lead and such there that they ARE affraids of ricochets, and yes with the jets from OAK so close they can't have one single report of a stray round or they might get shut down. They cant's remove the lead and expired bullets without destroying the berms and they are NOT that thick to begin with ( I was on the back side of them a few years back). Also with all that stuff in the berms 22lr's are prone to ricochets from hitting all that stuff. They had to put the steel roofs on the berms to try to cut down on the ricochets. I use to shoot there as a Jr. back inthe late 60's early 70's and those are the same berms.... Chabot is a better option but they are only open Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays. The 200yd line IS open on Fridays from 10am to 1pm.. and on rare occasions, Mondays. (mostly if I feel like dragging myself up there and opening the 200yd line)

norm113
05-20-2010, 8:02 PM
Chabot is a better option, and if I may they have Gun Club Memberships. So Go and spend a day there. If you enjoy it become a member! It is the BEST Place We Have To Shoot in this part of the Bay Area! And our memberships keep it Up and Running. Also there are some decent People up thier.

Norm

TRICKSTER
05-20-2010, 8:33 PM
No problems with surplus ammo at the Livermore Rod and Gun Club.

sargenv
05-20-2010, 8:54 PM
I don't think Richmond has any issue with mil surplus ammo.. you shoot into a sandy berm there on the 100 yard line. Open Wed, Fri, Sat, and Sun.

maxx424
05-21-2010, 8:22 AM
Walk down the 100 yard at San Leandro and look at all the skid marks in the grass were someone has shot really low. Bullet skips up and over the backstop and lands out in the airport. That is the problem.

toolittletoolate
05-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Just go to Chabot. Much better range overall.

NRAhighpowershooter
05-23-2010, 8:55 AM
HOLY necro posting batman!!! a 4yr old thread????????

CSACANNONEER
05-23-2010, 9:00 AM
You can make "soft points" from surplus ammo with a meplat trimmer.

Jimmy310
05-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Just got 300 rounds of yugo non-magnetic 7.62x54r for $90 through cope's distribution. Other places sell it but sometimes its hard to find.

stix213
05-27-2010, 1:17 PM
damnit, I just realized I was tricked into responding to a necro-post :p