PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire scope on a centerfire rifle?

scidx
08-30-2010, 7:43 PM
I want to put a fixed 4 on a .30-06. I have an unused Nikon prostaff 4x32 rimfire. If I could use this scope, I would save some money. Although, the rimfire scope has factory set parallax @ 50yds. I emailed Nikon to ask if this scope/ rifle combo is a good idea. They (eventually) wrote me back. Their lawyers say I cannot copy and paste the email; but, let's say (hypothetically) this is how it might have read:

The rimfire is just as strong as a centerfire prostaff, it will work fine with a .30-06 rifle's recoil. If shooting beyond 50 yds, one may experience "crosshair creep" if not looking down the center of the tube. In real life hunting situations, this would not make a difference.

What is crosshair creep? When would I not look down the center of the tube? The scope will be mounted on a mostly short range hunting rifle (>/= 150yds in GA woods). Will "parallax set at 50 yds" be a handicap? I have limited long range work on my resume. I've never taken a shot at an animal past 250yds from a stand; and don't forsee one with this specific rifle. Thanks for any help.

CoyoteHunter555
08-31-2010, 3:53 AM
Ya it will work. 50 yard parallax setting is annoying. Crosshair creep, also known as a parallax error, happens when you cannot "focus" your scope. If you look through your scope at even the slightest different angles, then your reticle will move around your target, costing you accuracy. Try it out and shoot out to 250 and see how you do, I wouldn't but you can do it to save as long as you can make clean kills :D

Divernhunter
08-31-2010, 3:43 PM
Save yourself the trouble and go to ebay and buy a good 4X Leupold for the 30-06 if you want a 4X scope. You will be happier with the results.

CoyoteHunter555
08-31-2010, 3:46 PM
Save yourself the trouble and go to ebay and buy a good 4X Leupold for the 30-06 if you want a 4X scope. You will be happier with the results.

Those don't come cheap. The idea is not to have the 4x, but to use the already available Nikon 4x rather than spend the money. Now if he were to spend $300+ he would likely go a different route for a 30-06

scidx
08-31-2010, 4:13 PM
Yeah, I have a scope not being used. If I could use it and not buy another one, that would be great. However, if using the rimfire specific scope is a bad option, I would get another one.

Divernhunter
08-31-2010, 4:26 PM
Rimfire= bad option.

I have seen Leupold 4X for $80 or less and I have bought a bunch of Leupold 3X9 for $145-180 off ebay. The last 11 rifles I scoped had Leupold 3X9 from ebay and never paid more than $180 for any of them. I paid $230 for a 3.5X10 Leupold for my 25-06. Try not to be in a hurry and you will get one for a good price.

Yes I put used scopes on new rifles. Never had a game animal know the difference.

CoyoteHunter555
08-31-2010, 4:42 PM
Rimfire= bad option.

I have seen Leupold 4X for $80 or less and I have bought a bunch of Leupold 3X9 for $145-180 off ebay. The last 11 rifles I scoped had Leupold 3X9 from ebay and never paid more than $180 for any of them. I paid $230 for a 3.5X10 Leupold for my 25-06. Try not to be in a hurry and you will get one for a good price.

Yes I put used scopes on new rifles. Never had a game animal know the difference.

So you are buying used? That's fine. My problem with it is you never know what you are getting and if you are just inheriting someone else's problem.

CoyoteHunter555
08-31-2010, 4:45 PM
Yeah, I have a scope not being used. If I could use it and not buy another one, that would be great. However, if using the rimfire specific scope is a bad option, I would get another one.

Get another one

bombadillo
08-31-2010, 4:57 PM
I would sell your current nikon and use it to buy a Nikon Team Primos from www.swfa.com for $149 packaged with binoculars which you can also sell and help compensate for the cost. It'll be worth it to get a good 3-9x40 or something similar on a hunting setup. I wouldn't sacrifice for a few bucks if its going to cost you a deer, pig or bear.

CoyoteHunter555
08-31-2010, 4:59 PM
I would sell your current nikon and use it to buy a Nikon Team Primos from www.swfa.com for $149 packaged with binoculars which you can also sell and help compensate for the cost. It'll be worth it to get a good 3-9x40 or something similar on a hunting setup. I wouldn't sacrifice for a few bucks if its going to cost you a deer, pig or bear.

Word :D

bombadillo
08-31-2010, 5:02 PM
Well, I looked at it again, and they're not offering the package anymore. I would say in lieu of the Nikon, go for something like a Nikon Pro Staff or a Redfield with the Accurange reticle and you're GTG. Those are both killer scopes for the money.

scidx
08-31-2010, 6:08 PM
Good idea. Anyone want to buy a scope?

Divernhunter
08-31-2010, 8:36 PM
For the poster who questioned buying used.
1) I have bought 35+ Leupold scopes and not a problem with any of them.

2) IF there was a problem I would send it to Leupold for FREE repair/replacement. Many years ago a friend bought a new one and had trouble. Leupold replaced it.

3) So I do know what I am getting.....A product that will be good and on the outside chance it is not it will be repaired/replaced for free.

4) My guess is that many(most) are off rifles that some person just had to have the latest and greatest new model scope and they sell this one. OR Like some I have bought(even from known people) they sold the rifle and then sell the scope since they know they can get more for them seperated. They often place a cheap scope on it to sell.

I have been into firearms/shooting/reloading/hunting too long to buy trouble. I would not do this with something like a, even new, Trashco scope. I installed the next to the last Leupold I bought on a new 257Weatherby. Shoots great. I guess I will have to start watching e-bay again. I like to have 2-3+ spares in the safe.

I have a 3X9 Trashco you can have for shipping costs if you want to really cut corners.

scidx
08-31-2010, 9:32 PM
It seems really hard to type a sarcastic tone.

Thanks for the help. I might sell it, now.