PDA

View Full Version : Yet another idea 4 pistol grips

TonyKat
05-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Don't kill this idea just because i dont know what i'm talking about.... lets brain storm... i think it's a workable concept :o

Ok so when you look at an ar-15 pistol there is still this "tube" extending straight out from where the stock would be such as the one below:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/DBAR/arpistol110905.jpg

My idea is (even though i'm not sure what that part does) why can't it be bent - or a new device that can be curved to replace the old system. I borrowed the stock from jallen enterprises for this idea. as you see below the red line would replace the part that extends out:

http://caseyshots.com/archive/AR-15_noline.jpg
http://caseyshots.com/archive/AR-15_line.jpg

It might be necessary to modify the ar lower to accept this kind of change but thats easy to live with. When i get my lowers i'm going to exparament with this idea. i'll welcome any help.

blacklisted
05-10-2006, 10:03 PM
A member here, MUD, has done this already. He modified a lower to have the trigger farther back, and modified the recoil system.

He's working with a manufacturer, so he can't disclose details at this time.

TheMan
05-10-2006, 10:11 PM
It might be necessary to modify the ar lower to accept this kind of change but thats easy to live with. When i get my lowers i'm going to exparament with this idea. i'll welcome any help.

If you just went with an OA-93 upper, or ZM Weapons upper, or one of a few others, you wouldn't need a buffer tube at all. The bushmaster pistol uses a shortened buffer tube as well.

But really, on the ones that do have buffer tubes, making it curve would be difficult. Look at how the bolt carrier moves when it cycles.

EBWhite
05-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Hopefully in the next week or so ill have an update on my prototype from DOJ. All i can say is its a ca legal grip. No stock mods required...i'll keep you all posted

blacklisted
05-10-2006, 11:54 PM
I suspect that they wont do anything to approve your design, but I'd love to be wrong.

Joe
05-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Hopefully in the next week or so ill have an update on my prototype from DOJ. All i can say is its a ca legal grip. No stock mods required...i'll keep you all posted

i really want to see your design

EBWhite
05-11-2006, 1:02 AM
I suspect that they wont do anything to approve your design, but I'd love to be wrong.

A prototype was sent in and asked if the device would be a pistol grip (web of hand under trigger) The design clearly puts it above, if they lie and say it is, then we have problems since it clearly does not. I prefer to have a letter on it but If i don't get one I'd like to go ahead with it since it is clearly legal, and not a CA pistol grip according to the letter of the law. We will wait and see.

shopkeep
05-11-2006, 1:31 AM
A prototype was sent in and asked if the device would be a pistol grip (web of hand under trigger) The design clearly puts it above, if they lie and say it is, then we have problems since it clearly does not. I prefer to have a letter on it but If i don't get one I'd like to go ahead with it since it is clearly legal, and not a CA pistol grip according to the letter of the law. We will wait and see.

EBWhite, I am sure that pistol grip replacements will be handled the same way as fixed mag kits. We won't be recieving any acknowledgement of their legality until the DOJ attempts to make them ILLEGAL heh :)!

With a pistol grip replacement though at least the liability isn't in your hands, it's in the hands of the end user. By all means try to get approval but if it isn't forth comming we'll have to go by the letter of the law like we did with the fixed mag kits.

They change the rules, we adapt. We've learned to play their game, and so far we've consistantly been ahead of them. This new memo will be no different.