PDA

View Full Version : Lafrance Specialties

ag11988
08-30-2010, 5:50 PM
So i came across some rahter interesting firearms while browsing the net
there from a ccompany called Lafrance specialtys (now own by sure fire, although not able to find a link between the two) and the were an early atempt at the now fashionable pdw. there call the M16k & M14k. now im not gonna even ask the wisdom of the site bout if we could get um in cali but it'd be nice if we could one day. if anyone can tell me how to put pics into my post ill gladly put them up. seems i cant just copy and paste

Killawhale415
08-30-2010, 7:38 PM
Got a link?

Sheldon
08-30-2010, 8:39 PM
Were they the ones who did the caliber conversions to M1 Carbines? Had a friend who got one converted to 45 Win Mag.

CHS
08-30-2010, 8:41 PM
As far as I know, Lafrance never made a single Title 1 firearm, therefore you're not ever going to get one in CA.

On top of that, they didn't make a lot of firearms and the guy went to work for Surefire (yes, the flashlight company) as well as sold all his IP to them in the deal.

Last time I talked to some of the Surefire guys, he's still there and they have some weapons in their vault, but you won't ever see them.

ag11988
08-30-2010, 8:58 PM
well i knew they wouldnt be legal in CA. i was just sharing info on some great firearms. and smith enterprises makes the m14k now.

TangoCharlie
08-30-2010, 9:14 PM
Tim LaFrance isnt very prolific today, but he was one of the pioneer Class 2s back in the 1980s. Stembridge Gun Rental, Ellis Mercantile and many other Hollywood prop houses relied exclusively on Tim to convert their semis to full auto. He was very good, but he was also somewhat local being down in San Diego.

His guns were all over Miami Vice, A-Team, Die Hard, Red Dawn, you name it. And next time you see the poster or DVD cover for that "Navy SEALS" movie , look closely at the CAR-15 Charlie Sheen's holding and you'll notice "LaFrance Specialties" stamped on the mag well.

m24armorer
08-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Tim and I go back 25 years. Lots of fun and a great guy. More energy than most folks can keep up with. I have several of the M14K guns, LOUD but great !

TKM
08-30-2010, 10:20 PM
I used to see Tim at the Battle Rattles at SBRG 20 some years ago. He always had the best toys.

socalblue
08-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Yup, Tim is a great guy! Lost track of him the last couple of years - now I know where to find him. 30+ years later & I still carry the 1911 he did the Ruger/Glo sites on.

I remember sitting in a coffee ship with Tim & scratching our heads of the gas tube length of an 8" M-16 pistol prototype he was trying to build for one of the SEAL teams. We ended up wrapping a full length tube around the bbl. & went back to the range that afternoon. Little critter finally stopped ripping the heads of the cases & actually cycling. The fun days ....

ag11988
08-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Yup, Tim is a great guy! Lost track of him the last couple of years - now I know where to find him. 30+ years later & I still carry the 1911 he did the Ruger/Glo sites on.

I remember sitting in a coffee ship with Tim & scratching our heads of the gas tube length of an 8" M-16 pistol prototype he was trying to build for one of the SEAL teams. We ended up wrapping a full length tube around the bbl. & went back to the range that afternoon. Little critter finally stopped ripping the heads of the cases & actually cycling. The fun days ....

did he spiral the gas tube around the short barrel? that awesome. why hasnt the armyy considered this for the m4's

popndrop
01-03-2011, 4:19 PM
As far as I know, Lafrance never made a single Title 1 firearm, therefore you're not ever going to get one in CA.

On top of that, they didn't make a lot of firearms and the guy went to work for Surefire (yes, the flashlight company) as well as sold all his IP to them in the deal.

Last time I talked to some of the Surefire guys, he's still there and they have some weapons in their vault, but you won't ever see them.

I actually own one of his M16K-45's in Civilian Legal configuration - very, very few were made. It is AWESOME. I've met him a couple of times, and he's a really interesting fellow for sure... Not too many people can legitimately refer to themselves as a "Professional Gunfighter", but from what I've read up on him, he can - and does.

brando
01-03-2011, 4:48 PM
Yup, he's a living legend and still doing his thing over in Surefire's suppressor division.

m1match
01-03-2011, 6:30 PM
Tim is a really interesting guy like others have said. He did make semi-auto M14Ks and M16Ks, but not many. I have a friend who has been friends of Tim for a long time and owns a M14K which is a RAW. I shot it once- loud and kicks a lot, but a lot of power in a very compact package.

desertmedic
01-03-2011, 6:35 PM
The M16K looks a lot like the DPMS Kitty Kat

NewbieDave
01-03-2011, 7:18 PM
While nothing like a M14K... it's damn close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkTDYggQng8&feature=player_embeddedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkTDYggQng8&feature=player_embedded

~dpc

Californio
01-03-2011, 7:38 PM
LaFrance put adjustable, Ruger/Glo sights and other work on my Colt Combat Commander around 1980. Top Notch work, I might add.

m1match
01-03-2011, 8:28 PM
Once a long time ago, I was shooting at the San Diego Indoor Range which was one of the first, if not the first indoor range in San Diego. It was by the SD airport. Tim walked in with a short barrelled full auto FN FAL. He told me "it's going to get very loud in here". I quickly finished up and left the range because that rifle was EXTREMELY loud indoors and full auto!

MrPlink
01-04-2011, 12:09 AM
wow, we need more guys like this

popndrop
01-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Mine Doesn't look like a Kitty Kat - it looks BADA** :)

There is next to ZERO Recoil, and it is very quite - Maybe I shouldn't be surprised from the guy who designed some of the best suppressors on the market?
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/mikeaniff/DSC_0017-2.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/mikeaniff/DSC_0025.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/mikeaniff/DSC_0026-1.jpg
Mine has the optional Red Dot Attachment - that allows an inline/co-witnessing Trijicon/J-Point style sight to be mounted
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/mikeaniff/DSC_0024.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/mikeaniff/DSC_0022-2.jpg

El Hefe de Bomberos
01-30-2011, 4:27 PM
Back in the day, I had purchased a 16" Colt Sporter (after L.A. riot #1 in preparation for #2 with we all thought was going to come) that simply would not cycle. It was a Colt defect issue that would have otherwise required a change of barrel. Tim made the fix, installed a LaFrance gas tube with a manifold and bleeder tube which fixes the short exhaust tube issue, and a few other little fixes and told me "I think it will work for you now." Since then, that short barreled little beauty has never failed to shoot 1-minute-of-angle at 100-yards. The man is a genius. I've thought a few times of installing a few mod's but am scared to death I'd ruin the accuracy.

Also got a kick a couple years later when Tim's son made the San Diego papers after he entered a suppressor design in a district wide school science competition. The school yo-yo's freaked. I loved it!

bigger hammer
03-22-2011, 4:45 PM

I know this is an old thread but was doing some searching and came across it. Actually
Tim made quite a few Title 1 Firearms. He made (At least)

700-800 handguns of various types and calibers. (I've got a Six Pac in .45).
7 M14K guns in semi auto in .308. (I'm fortunate enough to have one of them).
25 M16K's in semi auto in .223
Several M16K's in semi auto in .45

Some of these come up for sale once in a great while. I was thinking of selling my M14K until I discovered how rare it was. I fired one of his Title 2 versions of this rifle. Held it out by the pistol grip, one-handed and let a 20 round magazine rip. It stayed on an IPSC target at 20 yards, AMAZING control of the recoil. When I went to MP-5 Instructor school he let me borrow one of his suppressors for the MP-5. It was quieter than their MP5SD. The guy's a genius.

On top of that, they didn't make a lot of firearms and the guy went to work for Surefire (yes, the flashlight company) as well as sold all his IP to them in the deal. Last time I talked to some of the Surefire guys, he's still there and they have some weapons in their vault, but you won't ever see them.

Tim has left Surefire and opened up his shop again. I think he's in the Newport Beach area. He's still got a pretty good collection of MG's.

ag11988
03-29-2011, 10:02 AM
thanks ima look him up.