PDA

View Full Version : Contribute to the Calguns Legal Fund (CLF)

1911_Mitch
05-10-2006, 9:45 PM
Contribute to the Calguns Legal Fund

Admin: if this thread violates any rules or regulations of calguns, you may lock or remove. Otherwise please Sticky.

Notice: This post may be revised, updated, or changed as necessary to reflect changes. Check back occassionally.

OK. So we at calguns know that we will eventually have a court case to deal with; Be it a defense of a test case, or a lawsuit brought against the DOJ.

I would like to propose to create an unofficial (at this time) fund raising organization for all Calgunners to contribute to an impending legal fund. This fundraising organization will be called the CLF - Calguns Legal Fund.

I will do some legwork to secure a unique mailing address to send funds to, as your budget permits. Contributions will only be accepted via: Check, Money Order, or Cash at this time. I will look into Paypal and Credit Card options after we get up and running. Additionally, a seperate bank account will be created in trust to hold the contributions.

When funds are SENT, please post a reply in this thread in the form of:

Calguns ID, Payment method, Amount

Initial contribution target is: $100,000.

When funds are received and deposited into seperate bank account for the CLF, your calguns ID will be added to the second post, which is reserved for payment reciept. This will be yours and the CLF record of payment, so that we can keep the financial records in order. The funds will be used exclusively at the direction of the Board of Directors (see below), with the exception of direct expenses incurred by myself or the Board of Directors for administration of this fund (such as postal box fees, bank account fees, etc.).

I would propose that we open up the Board of Directors to volunteers, and then hold a finite period election via Calguns poll, for officers of this fund. I would propose that some of the more senior members of this forum (and the contributors of the FAQ, etc.) be nominated for President. I will be happy to be interim Treasurer/Secretary until we can get this going and hold a more formal process. I would also like to see positions created for: Legal Chair, and Fundraising Chair, and I am sure there will be others. There will likely be additional threads in order to provide a nomination and election procedure.

The Funds will be made available at the sole discretion of the Board of Directors (President, Treasurer/Secretary, Legal Chair, and Fundraising Chair, and others if they are created) to assist with a legal defense of a 'test case' or too bring about a lawsuit related to the off-list situation.

The Calguns Legal Fund is still being thought out, and nothing is official yet. I hope to secure the approval, advice, and assistance of other members of Calguns that are 'of the know' to get this Fund started.

So, many of us have said we would contribute to such a cause, it will soon be the time to put your money where your fingers meet the keyboard.

Thanks, CLF.

1911_Mitch
05-10-2006, 9:46 PM
This post is reserved for payment receipt.

1911_Mitch
05-10-2006, 9:47 PM
I will attempt to secure a mailing address for payment ASAP.

shopkeep
05-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Be sure you speak with an attorney and start a non-profit entity to handle the funds or else you could get into trouble with the IRS.

shopkeep
05-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Your idea, although clearly well-intentioned, is right up there with Wes' campaign of driving to Sacramento on a Scooter with an AR over his shoulder, as far as likely effectiveness is concerned.

Speaking strictly from an investment perspective, because the DOJ will likely take at least another 6 months if not more, this would allow $100,000 to earn an average of 4.5% interest invested in Treasury Bonds... that means when we do have to take the DOJ to court we'll have almost $104,500 heh :D!

1911_Mitch
05-16-2006, 9:36 PM
I have done some poking around setting up a non-profit.

I am not a lawyer, and I don't pretend to be one on the internet, so I would need to outsource the setup.

Looks like it will cost about $500 for the non-profit setup.

We would need to have a bit more organizational structure before I could officially set this up.

Check out the following site if you want to see where this would need to go.

http://www.calcorpco.com/canonprofit_form.html

I have been super busy at work and home lately, so I have not had as much time as I had hoped to get things going. Hopefully my time will open up by next week.

Hillbillly
05-16-2006, 10:19 PM
I must give you a big thumbs up!

Its about time some of us get more proactive the reactive.

It would be great if we had the enough calgun members that have all the special talents (lawyer, accountant, etc) we need in order to start getting this prepared now rather then in a rush.

m1aowner
05-17-2006, 1:31 AM
Screw PayPal, for this we should use Gear Pay. PayPal/Ebay is anti gun, so we should not throw them any dollars if we can help it.

https://www.gearpay.com/index.php

tenpercentfirearms
05-17-2006, 6:50 AM
Seriously, if there is never a court case, what would we do with all of that money? Who is going to be on the board of directors? What are the organization's goals? This thing is a little more complicated than that and the last thing I would want to see happen is someone make a substantial payment on their home's principle with our money. I will happily donate to anyone's legal fund, when they have a clear and precise need for it. Just having a ton of money sitting around for something that never happens seems like a major headache and subject to abuse. Not to mention what if some some idiot doesn't have a good case, but some of us want to support him/her and some think he/she was an idiot and he/she shouldn't be the test case?

Just be patient. It is the DOJ's move still. None of their memos have had any real authority. I think it is really sad that our premier law enforcement agency in this state has basically become a straw house. They hold zero credibility with me anymore. Sad, sad, sad.

bwiese
05-17-2006, 9:02 AM
Let's hold our horses on this until we identify the fight.

You can't joust with memos that have no legal force.

odysseus
05-17-2006, 9:55 AM
I fully agree. My question is, are they going to do anything? Sounds like they are going to go the do-nothing strategy and threaten legal owners with confusing memos and "possible" prosecution of ambiguous information by "58" DA's.

Let's hold our horses on this until we identify the fight.

You can't joust with memos that have no legal force.

CACitUP
05-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Speaking strictly from an investment perspective, because the DOJ will likely take at least another 6 months if not more, this would allow $100,000 to earn an average of 4.5% interest invested in Treasury Bonds... that means when we do have to take the DOJ to court we'll have almost $104,500 heh :D!

Ok....based on your math you wont be managing the funds :)

artherd
05-17-2006, 4:49 PM
Hi Mitch, you've got a good idea but we don't really have a goal in sight, and that's going to limit (if not outright curtail) contributions.

Gun owners in particuliar are a "show me" bunch, they'll want something tangible that they can all get behind before they're going to donate money, and I can't say as though I blame (or disagree with) them.

When the time comes, we will be ready and I nominate you as controller/treasurer/fudiciary of this thing! :D If needed, I will also be happy to contribuite what I can be it $, time, advice, legal, etc.

1911_Mitch
05-17-2006, 5:50 PM
Ok, I heard from a couple of voices that deserve much respect around here.

I will place this file on hold until needed.

I will probably poke around a bit more to identify what is needed, but won't put anything into action.

Thanks.

kenc9
05-17-2006, 6:03 PM
The last thing DOJ wants right now is a court case that will make case law before they are ready.

However, setting up an organized body for direction, letters to DOJ to corner them in a position and our official contact to the NRA would be a good thing.

Does the NRA even have a position on the AR/AK thing? Does anyone know?

-ken