PDA

View Full Version : buying handgun from an ex CA resident

BANG BANG
08-30-2010, 9:15 AM
My girlfriend's Dad lives in Vegas currently. He used to live here in Ca

He wants to sell a .357 Ruger revolver to me. He bought the gun while he lived here but has been a Vegas resident for years and has no ties to Ca other than coming to visit family.

Is there a way to do a PPT transfer if he brings the gun here? or is an out of state FFL transfer the only way ??

kemasa
08-30-2010, 9:23 AM
It has to go through a FFL. A PPT requires both parties to live in CA.

He can give it to his daughter, but since he is out of state it still has to go through a FFL due to Federal law.

Federal law prohibits the transfer of a handgun between residents of different states without going though a FFL.

BANG BANG
08-30-2010, 9:37 AM
ok, transfer with FFL's it is. I still have to make sure it is an approved Roster gun just in case. Even though he bought it when he lived here, I'd rather know for sure

kemasa
08-30-2010, 9:59 AM
Yes, you should ensure it is on the roster. If it is not, he still can give it to his daughter.

BANG BANG
08-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, you should ensure it is on the roster. If it is not, he still can give it to his daughter.

got it, then do a PPT with her :D

BANG BANG
09-05-2010, 9:05 PM
bringing this back up, so I think it's easier to have the gun gifted to my girlfriend from her Dad. can someone tell me how this is done?

Can he bring the gun into CA and give it to her through a FFL with some form/paperwork? or does it still need to be shipped FFL from Vegas to FFL here regardless?

jtmkinsd
09-05-2010, 9:48 PM
bringing this back up, so I think it's easier to have the gun gifted to my girlfriend from her Dad. can someone tell me how this is done?

Can he bring the gun into CA and give it to her through a FFL with some form/paperwork? or does it still need to be shipped FFL from Vegas to FFL here regardless?

As long as she is legally able to own a firearm, all he has to do is bring it here and give it to his daughter. She fills out the Intra-Familial transfer form and mails it with a check for $19 to the State.

She will need a handgun safety certificate or be exempt from the requirement (military (active/retired), LE, CCW)

Here is a link to the proper form (fillable pdf format):

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

halifax
09-05-2010, 9:57 PM
See this post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4472258&postcount=2) for the correct procedure that doesn't violate Federal law.

ke6guj
09-05-2010, 10:03 PM
As long as she is legally able to own a firearm, all he has to do is bring it here and give it to his daughter. She fills out the Intra-Familial transfer form and mails it with a check for $19 to the State.
umm, NO!

That would be a violation of federal law for a non-FFL resident of one state to transfer a firearm to a non-FFL resident of another state without using an FFL to facilitate the transfer.. I would hope that an FFL would know that.

Sending in that intra-family form may satisfy state law, but it doesn't cover the federal violation. There is no intra-famlily exemption for federal law.

BANG BANG
09-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Ok, so let me see if I got all the correct information to do this.

Dad can ship gun with a gift letter to a FFL as an out of state transfer / which is not considered PPT since he is a Vegas resident.

Or he bring it with him and gift it in person at a FFL with daughter.

She needs HSC and proof of residency to DROS gun at the FFL that accepts gu

halifax
09-06-2010, 6:02 AM
Ok, so let me see if I got all the correct information to do this.

Dad can ship gun with a gift letter to a FFL as an out of state transfer / which is not considered PPT since he is a Vegas resident.

Or he bring it with him and gift it in person at a FFL with daughter.

She needs HSC and proof of residency to DROS gun at the FFL that accepts gu

Get the FFL on board first. Not all FFLs know how to do this type of transfer. Don't forget to have Dad write the "gift letter".

davedog01
09-06-2010, 8:31 AM
Could my brother bring in an off list gun and "gift" it to me through a personal appearence at an FFL? That seems like a loophole that I'm sure has been closed in some letigous fashion. Please advise :confused:

halifax
09-06-2010, 8:58 AM
Could my brother bring in an off list gun and "gift" it to me through a personal appearence at an FFL? That seems like a loophole that I'm sure has been closed in some letigous fashion. Please advise :confused:

The "loophole" only applies to grandparent/parent/child/grandchild intrafamilial transfers, not siblings.

BANG BANG
09-06-2010, 12:19 PM

really??? here's some ADVICE... please start your own thread and not jack mine :threadjacked:

BANG BANG
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Get the FFL on board first. Not all FFLs know how to do this type of transfer. Don't forget to have Dad write the "gift letter".

Ok, so I need to talk to any of the FFL's I want to try and use to make sure they know how to do this transfer first.

But another main thing I want to confirm.. Dad can bring the gun across state lines physically to do the transfer???

kemasa
09-06-2010, 2:13 PM
Yes, the Dad can bring the firearm to the FFL directly, assuming that the FFL is ok with that (not a legal issue).

jtmkinsd
09-06-2010, 9:55 PM
Not sure where my head was with my first post...I'm guilty of telling people they could go pick up family transfer guns in the past and fill out the form and that was it...but it is a technical violation of Federal law. ATF is aware this goes on and it's not like they are going to send the FBI/ATF to knock on anyones door...but it is a violation.

Dad can ship the gun to local FFL with letter stating it's a gift to daughter, with make model, and serial number. Or he can drive it here and go with daughter to the local FFL, but in either case it is treated as an out-of-state ship in because dad is not a resident. So you can't process as a PPT

BANG BANG
09-07-2010, 7:19 AM
ok, thanks everyone for the info, man I wish I could just have them do the
intra-familial handgun transfer with the form and that was it.

But it sounds like the FFL transfer is the only way to go.