PDA

View Full Version : Cost of DROS For Out of State Long Gun?

Joe226
08-29-2010, 11:00 PM
I was wondering if the cost to DROS a long gun that I buy in Nevada is any more than if I were to buy it in California.

I am asking this because I recently purchased a rifle from Scheels in Nevada and I got it shipped to my local FFL. When it came down to paying him the total was $65. I paid for the shipping and the only thing that the FFL did was the paperwork to DROS it.

Did I get taken or is the cost higher to DROS firearms from out of state?

ParallaxTactical.com
08-29-2010, 11:14 PM
This is normal, it's called a an out of state transfer. The price you got is actually pretty good!

We charge $35 for rifles and $40 for pistols for this service.

It's necessary because you cannot purchase and take possession of firearms out of California as a California resident (minus FFL03s.)

The cost of DROS is $25 mandated by law. That means your FFL only charged you $40 for the service.

50CalAL
08-29-2010, 11:18 PM
The fees vary from dealer to dealer.

The state fees for DROS are $25. Most dealers charge $10 on top of this for the DROS but many dealers also charge a fee for the FFL to FFL transfer.

If you look around you might find a dealer that doesn't charge extra fees but this seems to be rare. In the dealers mindset, it's a business so they charge you for the service of using their FFL.

That being said, IMHO I don't think $65 is outrageous.

Joe226
08-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the response, I thought that my local FFl was a great guy I just wasn't sure about the price because I had only bought firearms in CA and not Nevada. This reassures my trust in him, Thanks.

jtmkinsd
08-29-2010, 11:29 PM
I was wondering if the cost to DROS a long gun that I buy in Nevada is any more than if I were to buy it in California.

I am asking this because I recently purchased a rifle from Scheels in Nevada and I got it shipped to my local FFL. When it came down to paying him the total was $65. I paid for the shipping and the only thing that the FFL did was the paperwork to DROS it.

Did I get taken or is the cost higher to DROS firearms from out of state?

No you didn't get taken. Some retailers in CA will waive the transfer fee if you buy a gun from their inventory, hence all you would pay is the state mandated $25 DROS fee. But they (retailers) and transfer-only FFL's will charge a fee for the transfer service in addition to the DROS fee. That fee is not regulated, basically we can charge whatever we want for the service. "Normal" Middle of the road charge is $45-$60 in addition to $25 DROS fee...but I've heard stories of people paying upwards of $150 + DROS fee. That's why it's important to call the FFL you want to use ahead of time and ask how much they charge and if that number includes the DROS fee.

jtmkinsd
08-29-2010, 11:37 PM
The fees vary from dealer to dealer.

The state fees for DROS are $25. Most dealers charge $10 on top of this for the DROS but many dealers also charge a fee for the FFL to FFL transfer.

If you look around you might find a dealer that doesn't charge extra fees but this seems to be rare. In the dealers mindset, it's a business so they charge you for the service of using their FFL.

That being said, IMHO I don't think $65 is outrageous.

Dealers may NOT add a charge to the DROS. Some customers have told me "other" FFL's give them a price for the DROS which is in excess of $25. This is absolutely not allowed. The State even mandates I have signage breaking down the cost of a DROS fee:

In addition to the State's $19.00 DROS fee, you must also charge a $1.00 Firearms Safety Testing fee and a $5.00 Safety and Enforcement fee. If the transaction being processed is a dealer sale, consignment return, or return from pawn, you may impose other charges as long as this amount is clearly shown as a "dealer fee" and not misrepresented as a State fee.

(PC sections 12071(b)(11), (12))

ke6guj
08-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Dealers may NOT add a charge to the DROS. Some customers have told me "other" FFL's give them a price for the DROS which is in excess of $25. This is absolutely not allowed. The State even mandates I have signage breaking down the cost of a DROS fee:

In addition to the State's $19.00 DROS fee, you must also charge a $1.00 Firearms Safety Testing fee and a $5.00 Safety and Enforcement fee. If the transaction being processed is a dealer sale, consignment return, or return from pawn, you may impose other charges as long as this amount is clearly shown as a "dealer fee" and not misrepresented as a State fee.

(PC sections 12071(b)(11), (12)) sure they can, they just need to note that it is a dealer fee. For instance, the cost to "DROS" a firearm at Turners is $30, $25 in state fees and $5 dealer fee.

SLO1911Fan
08-30-2010, 12:38 AM
sure they can, they just need to note that it is a dealer fee. For instance, the cost to "DROS" a firearm at Turners is $30, $25 in state fees and $5 dealer fee.

I just called the Turners in Signal Hill this afternoon and was told they charged $139 or 149 plus the $25 dros fee to accept and dros a gun from out of state/internet sale. I was also told that if its a gun they sell they'll refuse to accept it. I hope the gentleman I talked to was wrong because I would hate to see a major retailer treat customers that badly...

ke6guj
08-30-2010, 12:43 AM
yup, Turners charges a large fee for transfers, over $100. Turners has made a corporate decision that they do not want to deal with transfers, so they price them accordingly. In addition, they have decided not to transfer guns that they they sell, why let an out-of-state dealer make the sale when "you should buy it from Turners".

My $30 explaination was applicable to in-store purchases from Turners.

jtmkinsd
08-30-2010, 9:06 AM
sure they can, they just need to note that it is a dealer fee. For instance, the cost to "DROS" a firearm at Turners is $30, $25 in state fees and $5 dealer fee.

"dealer fee does not = DROS fee...it's just that...a dealer fee...sure i could add a hundred bucks on top of it...call it a dealer fee...but if I tell the customer it's part of the DROS I've broken the law

This is a pet peeve of mine...too many dealers tell people "the DROS costs (anything in excess of $25) dollars" when in fact they are adding their own fee to a state mandated fee. It's a cute way of increasing their fee and blaming it on the state. You want to raise your fee, fine, man up and increase your transfer fee...don't prey on the ignorance of the customer.

ke6guj
08-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I see your point, but when they have the exact break down posted on the wall, and the charges are itemized on the receipt showing the separate dealer fee, I don't mind.