PDA

View Full Version : Consignment sales count against PPT total?

Inviscid07
08-29-2010, 6:33 PM
Hi, I was hoping maybe someone can help answer a question I have above. I am getting close to my 5 ppt's a year limit assuming that the 2 consignment sales are counting against my ppt count total for the 12 months. I am also curious if the ppt count is by calendar year or every 12 month period? Thx in advance!

ke6guj
08-29-2010, 6:51 PM
12070. (a) No person shall sell, lease, or transfer firearms unless he or she has been issued a license pursuant to Section 12071. Any person violating this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not include any of the following:
(4) The infrequent sale, lease, or transfer of firearms.

(c)(1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(A) For pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, less than six transactions per calendar year. For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or transfer of any number of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person.

Inviscid07
08-29-2010, 7:28 PM
So it sounds like the ppt limit applies only to pistols? 3 of my sales/transactions involved rifles so I should be ok then because those don't count?

ke6guj
08-29-2010, 7:31 PM
So it sounds like the ppt limit applies only to pistols? 3 of my sales/transactions involved rifles so I should be ok then because those don't count?

12070(c)(1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(A) For pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, less than six transactions per calendar year. For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or transfer of any number of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person.
(B) For firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, occasional and without regularity.

jtmkinsd
08-29-2010, 10:48 PM

Now, figure out what "occasional and without regularity" means. If you're flirting with just 5 or six transactions in a year then you probably don't have to worry too much...Law was meant to criminalize "dealing" in firearms without a license...buying and selling for profit mostly, in other words buying a firearm not for yourself, but to sell to another. If you are selling off guns that are and have been yours you shouldn't worry about it too much. The law is the law...where you go from there is up to you. DOJ likes doing things on a rolling time period...I can't be 100% certain at the moment, but I would speculate they wouldn't want you to go over the limit in a rolling 12 month period.

EOD Guy
08-30-2010, 8:05 AM
Now, figure out what "occasional and without regularity" means. If you're flirting with just 5 or six transactions in a year then you probably don't have to worry too much...Law was meant to criminalize "dealing" in firearms without a license...buying and selling for profit mostly, in other words buying a firearm not for yourself, but to sell to another. If you are selling off guns that are and have been yours you shouldn't worry about it too much. The law is the law...where you go from there is up to you. DOJ likes doing things on a rolling time period...I can't be 100% certain at the moment, but I would speculate they wouldn't want you to go over the limit in a rolling 12 month period.

The penal code specifically states "calendar year." This would mean Jan-Dec.

Capt_Communist
08-30-2010, 10:54 AM
I've done more than the 5 a year and haven't gotten any grief from anyone... I wouldn't worry about it at all... just don't make a business out of it like was said earlier and you should be fine.

hope this post doesn't lead to a little black helo paying me a visit.... :)

PyroFox79
09-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Is there really a way to track the sales especially if you use dffferent ffls do do the ppt

kel-tec-innovations
09-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Is there really a way to track the sales especially if you use dffferent ffls do do the ppt

I think the DOJ would know

kel-tec-innovations
09-10-2010, 12:58 AM
I have a bad habit of buying guns playing with it get bored sell it and get other guns. Hope DOJ doesn't come knocking on my door and having to explain I get bored of the same guns. Mind as well get an FFL hmmmm