PDA

View Full Version : So they're not listing? Fabulous news

TonyNorCal
05-10-2006, 2:45 PM
This is fabulous news. Listing these receivers would have largely cut off the flow into California. Of course, enterprising individuals would have found/contracted for new models...but we're talking populations trends. But, I digress.

So the DOJ pulled their finger out of the dyke and ran for the hills...laying down a rear guard action of dubious merit and questionable logic. Regardless...

Offlist receivers are still legal to purchase! So here is your chance to further increase the gun owning population of California. AR-15s are black, evil, modern, technical, iconic, and have a special allure for many that other rifles lack. So, while I am sure you've been doing it already it's important to keep spreading the word...keep winning new converts...keep stirring people's imagination with your black rifle. If you haven't done so tell your friends, family, co-workers, post about it on your blog, in myspace if you're a myspacer, on craigslist, etc. Post flyers at your local range. Etc.

And the DOJ even helped the matter along. Some people are averse to regsitration requirements. Well, apparently the DOJ is sensitive to such sentiments.

Fixed mag? Um yeah, we had that already. Use a little lock-tite? Big whoop. It still works the same.

I personally think fixed mag rifles are lame anyway. We even have some industrious folks here selling SRBs below in the accessories section.

So now there's time to further increase the ranks of gun owners and more importantly pseudo assault weapon style gun owners. Like most things in life strength often comes from numbers. So down the road when the DOJ realizes their memo is silly there will be more of us to press the issue.

Someday you may have to register that rifle, remove the locktite, and use detachable magazines. And I know it'll be a pain *sigh*. But just take solice in the fact that you'll have more fellow shooters than you do now and they'll be doing the same thing.

69Mach1
05-10-2006, 2:57 PM
I agree. Lets turn that 35,000 into 100,00 that will make it in to California by years end. Then someone tell Feinstank to stick it! Complete AK47's anyone?

Fate
05-10-2006, 3:04 PM
Like most things in life strength often comes from numbers. So down the road when the DOJ realizes their memo is silly there will be more of us to press the issue.

Someday you may have to register that rifle, remove the locktite, and use detachable magazines. And I know it'll be a pain *sigh*. But just take solice in the fact that you'll have more fellow shooters than you do now and they'll be doing the same thing.

http://i2.tinypic.com/xofns5.jpg

:D

shopkeep
05-10-2006, 3:15 PM
Despite what the DOJ is saying, it is inevitable that these rifles will eventually be required to be registered. Either registration will be required or possible during a regulatory change, or registration will be enacted when the DOJ realizes that depsite its best efforts untold thousands of AR-15s and AK-47s continue to flood the state.

This will go on for a year or two more, perhaps longer. Ultimately it will all be banned and listed.

Unknownassailant
05-10-2006, 3:55 PM
That Picture is kinda scary. What happened to ethnic diversity?? :D

crzpete
05-10-2006, 4:02 PM
well I have a question, what will hapen if i go out shooing and a ranger has this new memo? how will he act uppon this?

thmpr
05-10-2006, 4:09 PM
well I have a question, what will hapen if i go out shooing and a ranger has this new memo? how will he act uppon this?

The range will do nothing. I have been and continue shooting with my fixed mag rifle. I would not worry about this memo at all since we know its nothing but a letter. For pete's sake, its not even signed!

crzpete
05-10-2006, 4:58 PM
The range will do nothing. I have been and continue shooting with my fixed mag rifle. I would not worry about this memo at all since we know its nothing but a letter. For pete's sake, its not even signed!

check this out from this post

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=33711

"The Soup Nazi
Senior Member Join Date: Apr 2006

Because its trying to trick people into thinking that it is the way you say it is stated in the memo. It has no legal binding power, and you wouldn't be guilty of having an SKS with the fixed magazine as defined by the definition of a fixed mag in California law. However, the DOJ is hoping they can confuse enough DAs and LEO to perhaps arrest and create a financial inconveniance.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor "

this is what i don't want to happen

Pryde
05-10-2006, 5:09 PM
Well, let's entertain what would happen if the DOJ did list.

The original CA assault weapon ban which bans by name is a pretty poorly devised law to being with. Offlist lowers is a major exploitation of the poorly written law.

Say they listed all the AR/AK receivers coming in now, this does not prevent guns from entering the state.

What will happen is all these weapons will be prevented from entering the state but they will set a precedent so that in the future. If new AR/AK receivers are made by new companies and they aren't on the list, people will able to bring them in temporarily and get them banned and get evil features. With this precedent set, this will open the doors to allow anyone in CA who is patient enough to own a detachable mag AK or AR.

The DOJ has undoubtably realized this, they know the loophole exists and they know they can't put a bandaid over this one, so they are gonna stall for time until there can be a permanent fix may it be legislativve or whatever.

If you think about it, the absolute worst thing the DOJ can do to themselves is to list. Listing would only further proliferate these and even more weapons into the state with evil features intact and they do not want that.

Turbinator
05-10-2006, 5:30 PM
That Picture is kinda scary. What happened to ethnic diversity?? :D

Whaddya mean? I see one black guy - on the lefthand side!

Turby

shopkeep
05-10-2006, 6:38 PM
If they don't list now they will have to eventually anyways. Once mainstream FFLs discover it's OK to sell stripped lowers and that they will NEVER be considered Assault Weapons, expect to see them at EVERY gun show along with uppers and grip substitutes. Basically all this memo does is reset the clock back to 1999 and give mainstream California a means of aquiring a legal post ban rifle.

Give it about a year before gripless rifles show up at stores and gun shows everywhere.

Charliegone
05-10-2006, 7:21 PM
So the DOJ pulled their finger out of the dyke and ran for the hills...laying down a rear guard action of dubious merit and questionable logic. Regardless...

Ughhh its dike not dyke:D unless that was your real intention.:D

PanzerAce
05-10-2006, 7:32 PM

The original CA assault weapon ban which bans by name is a pretty poorly devised law to being with. Offlist lowers is a major exploitation of the poorly written law.

Say they listed all the AR/AK receivers coming in now, this does not prevent guns from entering the state.

What will happen is all these weapons will be prevented from entering the state but they will set a precedent so that in the future. If new AR/AK receivers are made by new companies and they aren't on the list, people will able to bring them in temporarily and get them banned and get evil features. With this precedent set, this will open the doors to allow anyone in CA who is patient enough to own a detachable mag AK or AR.

The DOJ has undoubtably realized this, they know the loophole exists and they know they can't put a bandaid over this one, so they are gonna stall for time until there can be a permanent fix may it be legislativve or whatever.

If you think about it, the absolute worst thing the DOJ can do to themselves is to list. Listing would only further proliferate these and even more weapons into the state with evil features intact and they do not want that.

OR....they could just keep track of new off list companies, and ban them ASAP....

and as for the picture, I notice that there are no AK recievers -_-

crzpete
05-10-2006, 7:35 PM
The newly approved CADOJ fully legal CAR and no need to register your 50 cal with this one:D :D :D

PanzerAce
05-10-2006, 7:37 PM
wait, how is that a CAR?

Ford8N
05-10-2006, 7:44 PM

Rangers are there to protect the natural resources. That is their job.

That is what they do.

So don't shoot trees
Don't shoot glass bottles
Pick up your litter
Be careful

Scope
05-10-2006, 8:05 PM

I agree. There isn't much political support behind the idea of listing, and a whole bunch against it should it happen. Also, by not listing they undermine any hype the market would have had. There will be no rush to get lowers at the last minute, and in the long run it will probably discourage the sale of lowers if favor of other firearms.

Personally, I am glad they did not list. I am not fond of the idea of registering my gun with the state, even if it is unofficially already done via the DROS (just speculation on my part). The only part of the memo I didn't like was their redefinition of permanent mags. I would have preferred that they come out with DOJ approved tool kits, or something along those lines.

markymark
05-10-2006, 8:05 PM

I think it's a lose-lose situation for them. List and stop the current flow so that they can come up with a better solution or allow thousands more to come in while they brainstorm for a better solution. Either way, I don't care. I'm thinking of rebuilding mine up without PG, FH, and telescoping stock.

crzpete
05-10-2006, 9:31 PM
wait, how is that a CAR?

I donít know but is called the 17008 BURNSIDE CIVIL WAR CARBINE:confused:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_24_52&products_id=13176&osCsid=238ae70e0d94bfd72d9907933e0d29e8