PDA

View Full Version : Please list other firearms this new regulation will ban here

shopkeep
05-10-2006, 1:13 PM
Lets get a list started of the other firearms that this new regulation change will also ban along with our recent homebrew rifles. I'll start:

1. SKS (ALL configurations) any SKS will now be banned because simply removing the Fixed mag makes the rifle compatible with detachable SKS magazines. Detachable magazine SKS rifles were banned in 1989 so therefore there is no possible lawful configuration for SKS rifles under these new regulations.

2. M-1D Garand. The M-1 Garand has a flash hider installed on the barrel and can be modified to accept BM-59 magazines.

3. Pinned Magazine FAL clones. These rifles, previously approved of by the DOJ will now be unlawful under the new regulations.

I know I've missed some, lets hear from you all about what else will soon be banned!

superhondaz50
05-10-2006, 1:20 PM
man i'm still confused out of my mind how this affects sks, m1-d, fal type rifles. The memo said it was for ar and ak rifles only, and from what I read the DOJ gave their opinion that all mag lock kits were a no go for ar and ak rifles only. From what I read it was as if someone sent in a kit for approval, and they said no, this wont work. Please forgive me for being noobish :D

jemaddux
05-10-2006, 1:26 PM
man i'm still confused out of my mind how this affects sks, m1-d, fal type rifles. The memo said it was for ar and ak rifles only, and from what I read the DOJ gave their opinion that all mag lock kits were a no go for ar and ak rifles only. From what I read it was as if someone sent in a kit for approval, and they said no, this wont work. Please forgive me for being noobish :D

Because of the paragraph right here states "semiautomatic centerfire rifle".
The memo only says information regarding Ak/AR type, doesn't say anyplace those rifles ONLY.

Law enforcement officials, firearm dealers and the public should be aware that semiautomatic centerfire rifles that are modified to be temporarily incapable of accepting detachable magazines, but can be restored to accommodate detachable magazines, are assault weapons if they have any of the features listed in §12276.1(a)(1).

superhondaz50
05-10-2006, 1:30 PM
thank you for the clarification, has anyone been down to turners yet to buy a new SkS assault rifle?:D

69Mach1
05-10-2006, 1:51 PM
The 100 or so of the California legal, post ban, 50 caliber Barrett semi auto rifles. They had hinged magazines. You owners of these rifles have to ask DOJ if they intend to ban non permanent magazines, will this make your California approved, and legally registered 50 cal rifle illegal.

Gnote
05-10-2006, 4:44 PM
Well according to the DOJ memo...
... semiautomatic centerfire rifles that are modified to be temporarily incapable of accepting detachable magazines, but can be restored to accommodate detachable magazines, are assault weapons if they have any of the features listed in 12276.1(a)(1).

Wouldn't their approved Vulcan lower have a problem with this statement and therefore be an assult weapon. I mean we have seen how folks have used tools to restore the lower so that it can accomodate detachable magazines. I know that it is harder to do and requires more tools but both a power drill and allen wrench are tools.

Mnort10x
05-10-2006, 5:32 PM

Wouldn't their approved Vulcan lower have a problem with this statement and therefore be an assult weapon. I mean we have seen how folks have used tools to restore the lower so that it can accomodate detachable magazines. I know that it is harder to do and requires more tools but both a power drill and allen wrench are tools.

Don't forget that people need to service parts and I can tell you that the Vulcan SAR25 I got was non-functional in its factory delivered state. I had to remove the magazine and repair/replace parts to even get it to work. There is nothing addressing this need for removal of magazines. If DOJ wants to prosecute me for taking out a part that is not working and leaving the mag well open, lets get ready to rumble... I'm even using two (2) separate mag locks, Prince50's on the mag release and the original pin in the front of the magazine. If I loosen the mag screw the magazine only drops 3/4" out of battery. Lets me clear a jam. Posted pictures here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=29367

shopkeep
05-10-2006, 5:36 PM

Actually one of my friends found it was easier to open the magwell on the CARBON-15 then it was for him to remove the mag on his Vulcan.

Hunter
05-10-2006, 5:50 PM
The 100 or so of the California legal, post ban, 50 caliber Barrett semi auto rifles. They had hinged magazines. You owners of these rifles have to ask DOJ if they intend to ban non permanent magazines, will this make your California approved, and legally registered 50 cal rifle illegal.

Per their own letter, they determined it was a "FIXED MAGAZINE" rifle. Remember the letter:
http://www.50bmgstore.com/barrett50bmgstore_M82A1_CAletter.htm

shopkeep
05-10-2006, 5:58 PM
Per their own letter, they determined it was a "FIXED MAGAZINE" rifle. Remember the letter:

Why not do a hinge mag AK-47 or AR-15? If they mag swung out on a hinge it could be loaded much easier via stripper clips or hand loaded. And it's fully approved.

And as we learned from fixed mag kits: just because the DOJ doesn't comment on it or write back doesn't mean it's not completely lawful if it adheres to the letter of the law.

Anonymous Coward
05-10-2006, 6:27 PM

Does anyone have a CA M82A1? With what mechanism is the swing magazine attached to the receiver? A screw? Roll pin?

tacosauce
05-10-2006, 6:31 PM

I haven't seen the rifle, but why not just weld a chain to the mag and the rifle then. Same as a hinge only more flexible. Never comes "detached".

tacosauce
05-10-2006, 6:36 PM
Okay, I just looked at the rifle. If that is legal, then Californians can use a double hinge type setup with one end attatched to the forearm and the other to the magazine. Kinda like a hinge-bar-hinge type thing.

SouthbySouthwest
05-10-2006, 6:41 PM
I haven't seen the rifle, .....

Just a hinge that can be removed at a later date. See pic

PIRATE14
05-10-2006, 7:23 PM
Still capable of accepting a detachable magazine......

Just like the BM Carbon, the Vulcan, Tweaked BM and Colts that the guy in SOCAL sells for a couple thousand bucks..............

tacosauce
05-10-2006, 7:32 PM
Still capable of accepting a detachable magazine......

Just like the BM Carbon, the Vulcan, Tweaked BM and Colts that the guy in SOCAL sells for a couple thousand bucks..............

Tools and time:D