PDA

View Full Version : handgun dros Identity question

SEABUG32
08-29-2010, 1:41 PM
Ok this is my first dros and the guy just moved 2 months ago and his CaDL address is his old address,but he said he made an address change with DMV.NO DOC He has 2 utility bills with his new address.We did the dros with is not current address.What has to be done?he is 3 days into the waiting period

ke6guj
08-29-2010, 1:50 PM
what address is on the DROS/4473? The current address or the old address? Does the buyer have .gov documents that confirm the address listed on the 4473? Do the utility bills match the address on the DROS/4473?

the buyer must have a CADL (can have any address on it) but he must .gov documents (to comply with federal law) that matches the 4473, and he must also have CA proof of residency documents (to comply with CA law) that matches the 4473 as well.

freonr22
08-29-2010, 1:52 PM
ouch. that hurt, reading

SEABUG32
08-29-2010, 2:17 PM
The old address is on the dros,the new one is on the 4473,he has 2 utility bills with the current address.Will I need another doc or will these 2 work they match the 4473 not the dros.thanks What goverment doc would work ,that a normal person would have after moving 3 months ago?

tenpercentfirearms
08-29-2010, 2:21 PM
Just cross off the DROS hard copy wrong address and write the 4473 current address. He shouldn't have to pay for your mistake and they happen.

ke6guj
08-29-2010, 2:21 PM
wow, putting down one address on the DROS and another on the 4473? Doesn't sound right to me. How can he live at two different addresses at the same time?

AFAIK, both state and federal law require the buyer to list the current address on the paperwork. so, he needs to list his current address and needs to have CA POR that has the current address on it, and if his CADL doesn't have the current address on it, then he needs a .gov document with his current address on it as well.

SEABUG32
08-29-2010, 2:39 PM
Well when scanning his CADL it has the old address,so since it is a picture Id I used that.I would think it would be wrong to change the address on the dros,thats not on the CADL.So I can go back into the dros system and do a address change and that would work or ?

jtmkinsd
08-29-2010, 3:08 PM
Well when scanning his CADL it has the old address,so since it is a picture Id I used that.I would think it would be wrong to change the address on the dros,thats not on the CADL.So I can go back into the dros system and do a address change and that would work or ?

He/you have a couple of issues here. First, you MAY get a denial from DOJ because the "information on the DROS does not match what is on file with DMV". I can't remember off the top of my head if an address is one of the things you can alter in the review/correct DROS portion of the DROS entry system. If you can then you should call DOJ and make sure they haven't already processed a denial and you can give them the DROS number and they will look at it while you're on the phone with them. If you catch them on a good day they'll be happy to help you. Next, the 4473 already has the new address on it but you need to also note in the box below that what type of supporting documentation you have from a government agency that verifies it as a correct address, and of course copy it and retain the copy with the 4473.

Typical government agency documents include: Voter registration card, County/City operated utility bill (we have several water districts localy which are owned and operated by the County), DMV auto/motorcycle/boat/RV/trailer registration, jury duty summons or other court papers from the County/City.

SEABUG32
08-29-2010, 3:22 PM
Thanks alot for all the good info,just my luck I get a doosy right off the start.but now I know and will know next time.Thanks again I will call DOJ

jtmkinsd
08-29-2010, 3:44 PM
Thanks alot for all the good info,just my luck I get a doosy right off the start.but now I know and will know next time.Thanks again I will call DOJ

No worries...I called it a denial but the DROS would actually be cancelled, but the result is the same...he would have to do another DROS when he got the correct documentation

got this off DOJ website:

What happens if there is a problem with the purchaser's driver's license?
If DROS information conflicts with the DMV driver license files or if the license is suspended or invalid, the DOJ will cancel the transaction and notify the firearms dealer. The purchaser should contact DMV to correct or update information in DMV's files. Once the DMV problem has been cleared, a new DROS may be initiated.

(PC section 12071(b)(3)(B))

TripleT
08-30-2010, 4:49 AM
Of course you can manually change the address on the dros. Many people have a PO box on their CDL. Use Tenpercents POR cheatsheet. DOJ likely won't catch the address discrepancy as I have had a couple of PO box address's slip through the cracks. As Wes said, cross out the wrong info, add the correct info, then make sure the buyer brings the correct POR docs when he picks up.

tenpercentfirearms
08-30-2010, 10:25 PM
I have been in this business for 5 years. THE DOJ WILL NOT CANCEL A DROS OVER YOUR ADDRESS!!! NEVER!!! EVER!!! NEVER!!!

First case in point.

Local PD officer comes in and starts a DROS on a handgun using the department physical address. He comes to pick it up ten days later and I ask him for proof of residency (I didn't realize as LEO he is exempt from state POR at that time). He doesn't have anything because it is the department address.

He comes back ten minutes later with valid vehicle registration for his personal vehicle at the department address. He knew someone in the DMV and got it changed over right then and there.

I have messed up addresses so many times. The DOJ simply does not care. Just the other day I swiped a DL and forgot to take out the PO Box. Nothing happened. I just crossed out the PO Box on the DROS hard copy and wrote in the correct physical address that the customer put on the 4473.

Now in an audit, you bet they are going to be checking your 4473 address with your DROS address with your DL address and your POR address (where applicable).

It is past 11 so I can't log into DROS, but I am fairly certain you can't change the address once submitted (I could be wrong). I would simply cross out on the printed DROS form the person's address and put in their correct address.

For long guns, in theory this data is purged so after about 15 days they aren't going to have any electronic record of that person's data anyways. They would have to contact you if they wanted buyer data. Only handguns is the address information maintained. And if they go looking for a customer and don't find him, they can just call you or swing by and talk with you.

So don't sweat it and learn from it. The DOJ might catch you did that in an audit and you just tell them since you already submitted DROS, you just manually corrected in on paper. If they don't like it, find out what they want and post it up on here. If it is something completely off the wall, we will let Jason Davis know and he can confirm they are trying to implement underground regulations.

jtmkinsd
08-30-2010, 11:36 PM
I have been in this business for 5 years. THE DOJ WILL NOT CANCEL A DROS OVER YOUR ADDRESS!!! NEVER!!! EVER!!! NEVER!!!

Yeah I think you're right about that...I've swiped P.O. boxes many times and never get a blip...I have gotten denial/cancellation letters which state the reason being "Information conflicts with DMV files". After discussing it with another FFL in the area the opinion is that phrase is kind of a "catch-all" reason for a DMV denial, or DOJ just uses it because they want to look further into the person but don't have a concrete reason to deny at the time.

Only select information about the gun itself can be corrected or changed in a DROS once submitted. Nothing about the person can be changed.