PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun DROS??

golfrj
08-29-2010, 10:26 AM
I have a question concerning the DROS on a shotgun (OFF The Record), Is it OK to start the DROS on a shotgun upon ordering the gun from a supplier? You have all the info Except the S/N which the state does Not collect anyway..
Thanks for your thoughts, Jim

jtmkinsd
08-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I have a question concerning the DROS on a shotgun (OFF The Record), Is it OK to start the DROS on a shotgun upon ordering the gun from a supplier? You have all the info Except the S/N which the state does Not collect anyway..
Thanks for your thoughts, Jim

We just got a little clarification from both ATF and DOJ on this. It's not a problem to DROS a long gun before it actually arrives at your FFL with an invoice/receipt from the retailer (if shipping from an individual have them hand write or type a receipt and fax or scan/email you a copy). As a Serial number is not required for the DROS on a long gun it's not necessary to be on the receipt. But make and model should match what's arriving. Now, you will get a good deal of variance in what different FFL's may tell you on this. Some may do it for you, some may not...in the end it's up to them what they want to accept.

I always caution a person when they wish to "start the paperwork" before a gun has arrived at the shop. When you do the paperwork, you are technically accepting the gun "sight unseen". So let's say the gun comes in and is horribly damaged from shipping...you are now looking at having to work out shipping the gun back to the retailer, getting a refund or replacement gun from them, getting said gun to the shop, and...yes, paying for another DROS. Now while I've only had a very small number of guns the buyer refused upon opening the box, there is a risk, and is it really worth it just to save a couple extra days?

Just something to think about