PDA

View Full Version : Gamers: need advice on a gaming laptop (Qosmio)

Army GI
08-28-2010, 6:31 PM
Been looking at getting a Toshiba Qosmio for quite a while now. Well, actually my little brother has and i want to get him one for his birthday coming in October so I'm gonna start saving up now.

My question is, how much better is their top of the line model compared to the basic Qosmio? I want a laptop optimized for gaming, but is the $700 difference worth it?

jkcerda
08-29-2010, 9:10 PM
I picked up this bad for for a ton less than a qosmio
http://www.frys.com/product/6132099

specs

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor, 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB L3 Cache

Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M with 1GB GDDR3 discrete graphics memory, plus up to 2747MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory using NVIDIA® TurboCache™ technology. Total Available Graphics memory 3771MB

Memory: Configured with 6GB DDR3 1066MHz (max 8GB)

Storage Drive: 500GB (7200 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive, TOSHIBA Hard Drive Impact Sensor (3D sensor)

Fixed Optical Disk Drive: Slot-loading DVD SuperMulti drive with Labelflash® supporting 11 formats, Maximum speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R (24x), CD-RW (24x), DVD-ROM (8x), DVD-R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD-R (Double Layer, (6x)), DVD-RW (6x), DVD+R (Single

Layer, (8x)), DVD+R (Double Layer, (6x)), DVD+RW (8x), DVDRAM (5x), Use Labelflash® media to burn high quality labels directly to disc

Display: 16.0” diagonal widescreen TruBrite® Edge-to-Edge TFT LCD display at 1366 x 768 native resolution (HD), 16:9 aspect ratio

Sound: Built-in harman/kardon® stereo speakers, Dolby® Sound Room®

Webcam: Webcam and microphone

Networking: 10/100 Ethernet, Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n)

Expandability: ExpressCard™ slot (ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54), Memory Card Reader - Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, Memory Stick™, Memory Stick PRO™, Multi Media Card, xD Picture Card [shared slot]

Ports: RGB (monitor) output port, HDMI-CEC (REGZA LINK™), S/P DIF output port (shared with headphone port), Microphone input port, Headphone output port, i.LINK™ IEEE-1394, 4 USB v2.0 ports (3 USB + 1 eSATA/USB combo with USB Sleep and Charge), RJ-45 LAN port

Battery: 6 cell (4000 mAh) Lithium Ion battery pack

700 is a lot of extra cash IMHO
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=481295
specs

6GB DDR3 Memory
Enjoy even faster performance from your new laptop with speedy DDR3 memory on this model. This new technology lets your memory run at 1066MHz, compared to 800MHz with standard DDR2 memory.

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 360M with 1GB GDDR5 discrete graphics

6GB DDR3 memory
1TB (2x500GB) hard drive (7200rpm)
1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® 360M
Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD SuperMulti with Labelflash®
LED backlit keyboard
1920x1080 native resolution
Bluetooth®
802.11n wireless
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
HDMI output
Integrated webcam

you get a better resolution screen and a Blue ray player for the extra 700, oh, and an upgraded processor, from 1.6 to 1.72 :rolleyes:

jkcerda
08-29-2010, 10:10 PM
things might get cheaper soon
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100827/ap_on_hi_te/us_intel_outlook;_ylt=AjLa1H.jVKGHCaUHJLz1w7.l24cA ;_ylu=X3oDMTM1b3AwNXVoBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwODI3L3Vz X2ludGVsX291dGxvb2sEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3Bvcw M5BHBvcwM5BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDcGNpbmR1 c3RyeXN3

PositiveInfluence
08-30-2010, 12:37 AM
How much is the Toshiba you are looking at getting? I know that the stock in box Alienware MX17 is about $1700.00 online and may be cheaper if you find it at a Best Buy or other major electronics retailer.

JDay
08-30-2010, 5:46 PM
I wouldn't waste my money on that Toshiba, take a look at Falcon Computers gaming laptops. The i7 CPUs they stick in these are the desktop version, not the mobile.

http://www.falcon-nw.com/laptops/drx

Our new DRX is pushing the envelope on Desktop Replacement laptops. Now every Intel Core i7 desktop-class CPU, from the Core i7-930 thru the latest six-core i7-980X model can be configured in the DRX. To back up this amazing CPU power, we've added 6 Gigabytes of triple-channel 1333MHz DDR3 memory. With Nvidia GeForce GTX 480M graphics on board, and an amazing three hard drive capacity, the DRX is practically a full tower in laptop form! This model does have the limited battery life and heavier weight common to the Desktop Replacement class, but more than makes up for it in its extreme performance and versatility. If you are looking for desktop PC capabilities that you can easily move from home to office - and look good doing it - the DRX is the Falcon for you.

System Specs

* Processor: Intel Core i7 (desktop class) processors up to 3.3 GHz
* Memory: 1333 MHz DDR3 (12GB Max)
* Display: 17" WUXGA (1900 x 1200) widescreen
* Video Cards: Nvidia GeForce™ GTX 280M
* Video RAM: 1 GB dedicated DDR3 VRAM
* Hard Drives: Up to 3 SATA II drives, RAID 0, 1, and 5 capability
* Optical Drive: 8x Dual-layer DVD+-R/+-RW, 8X Blu-Ray optional
* Camera: Built-in 3.0 Megapixel
* Networking: Built-in 56K V.90/ V.92 AC-Link Modem
* 1 Gigabit LAN
* Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
* Sound: Built-In Hi-Def audio with 4 internal speakers
* Keyboard: Full-size w/ numerical key pad
* Touch Pad: Touch pad with 2 buttons and scroll feature
* Ports: 4 USB 2.0 ports
* 1 External DVI port (HDCP compliant)
* 1 External HDMI port
* 1 RJ-45 for LAN access
* 1 RJ- 11 for Modem connection
* 1 mini IEEE1394 Firewire port
* 1 S-Video port for TV output
* 1 headphone jack
* 1 microphone jack
* 1 audio lin-in jack
* 1 S/PDIF out jack
* 1 E-SATA port
* One ExpressCard/34/54 slot
* Media: Standard internal 7-in-1 Card Reader supporting RS/MultiMedia Card, Mini/Secure Digital, Memory Stick/Duo/Pro (MS Duo, Mini SD, RS MMC cards require adapters)
* Battery: 12-Cell Smart Li-Ion battery (~1hour DVD runtime)
* Power: Universal AC adapter Input: AC 100-250V AC 220W max.
* Dimension: 15.5" (W) x 11.9" (D) x 2.5"(H)
* Weight: 12.1 lbs (fully loaded)
* Carrying: Falcon Northwest custom backpack included fits in aircraft overhead carry-on bins
* Warranty: 1 year warranty • Perfect Pixel Guarantee
* Optional: 3 year extended warranty

JDay
08-30-2010, 5:53 PM
How much is the Toshiba you are looking at getting? I know that the stock in box Alienware MX17 is about $1700.00 online and may be cheaper if you find it at a Best Buy or other major electronics retailer.

Alienware are junk, seriously.

http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/thread/1004413225.aspx

Alienware laptops (and probably desktops) are totally piece of crap. I'm going to be pretty honest here. I just bought an Alienware Area-51 M15X. This is my agent account ID: 483666 and this is the agent Order: PC-615285A. Bought it last november but since i don't live in US, it needed around 3 weeks to arrive here. Already tried this laptop for one week and I want to give it 1 out of 10 for rating. No hype here for my rating. Totally honest. The laptop is broken before they sent it here, and I got reasons why I’m telling you so:

1. The keyboard is a piece of crap. Sorry for my excessive language but it's true. I have another laptop, it's Sony VAIO and vaio keyboard is 100x better than alienware. Every time I typed 20-30 letters on alienware, the keyboard didn't respond properly for 1-2 time (for example, i want to write "keyboard", but although I properly typed it, on the screen it showed "keyoard". So i need to keep pressing backspace after typed some letters). It doesn't respond well, that's my point. The worst keyboard ever, nothing compared to VAIO and even Acer.

2. Now this is the main problem. I bought this laptop for around $4,000 and yet i can't play any games. Why? Here's why:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-support/324273-vista-crash-blue-screen-helppp.html#post1865179

Too lazy to click it? Not a problem. Basically on that thread, I complained that every time I installed a new game, it gave me a blue screen of death. For example I have just bought a Fallout 3 game, i installed it. Then even if I was just browsing, it still gave me BSOD message and then it crashed. I can only avoid the blue screen of death if I uninstall the game. Then few days later I tried to install GTA4 on the laptop, no luck. Still same result. Basically it's not only if I play the game, but AFTER I INSTALLED THE GAME, it gave me BSOD. You think this is due to Vista? Think again. It's WHEA error and it's happening due to the broken hardware.

Check this out:

http://www.bestlaptopz.com/images/alienware/Alienware-Crap1.jpg

http://www.bestlaptopz.com/images/alienware/Alienware-Crap2.jpg

http://www.bestlaptopz.com/images/alienware/Alienware-Crap3.jpg

I took these screenshots after the second time I got BSOD. Already tried the Alienware for one week and everytime I attempted to fix things and tested it again by installing and playing heavy games, it always gave me BSOD crash error. (now i'm back to my VAIO because their keyboard is totally unresponsive so it's just a waste of time trying to do anything there)

This is the dump file that was created after that 2nd BSOD. I uploaded it to the above link (techsupportforum) but since people probably won't read that thread, I will just give the download link here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/175098339/ISO-8859-1__Alienware-problem.rar.html

and also check the performance report HTML file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/174521639/perfmon.html

Everyone who I asked about the problem always give me ONE recommendation: Send back the laptop. I read somewhere Alienware always took 1-2 months to check the problem of our laptop so it'll be really very time consuming to send back the laptop (need 3 weeks for the laptop to arrive here so total 6 weeks PLUS 2 months of their lame repairing? Will do though if it can help).

So what did I do beside complaining? Plenty of things. First, i have sent them emails, probably already 10 emails since the first day I got this laptop. But they never answered. They only answered it once, asking for my order ID EVEN AFTER I TOLD THEM THE NUMBER "PC-615285A". Can you believe it? I have told them about my numbers, yet they replied "Hey, can you verify your order by giving us the order ID bla bla bla". Then until now they never answered anything anymore.

So I called them at 866-287-6727, although it was expensive (international call) i didn't care. I just wanted to ask. I explained to them about the problem, and yet they can't answer anything. It's just look like they are avoiding me. They even told me to just wait for the reply of the email and 2 days later after the phone call (which is now), they still haven't sent me any reply.

Then I tried to chat with them. But the chat representative said that I should just call the technical support because she was just taking care of sales support. I explained how the technical support didn't want to take any responsibilities and how they never answered my problem, then she said "sorry" and closed the chat session. WHAT A BEHAVIOR!

My Alienware Area-51 M15X is worth more than $4,000, NOT INCLUDING the tax fee, shipping fee, etc. It came up with Core 2 Extreme (2.8 GHz), 4GB dual layer memory, and nVidia GeForce 9800M GT. I was a fool buying this laptop because I just thought it was cool. Actually, this laptop is totally a piece of crap and not even worth $1. The keyboard and ESPECIALLY the blue screen problem really made me frustrated. It seems my Alienware Area-51 M15x has an overheating issue or something but again, the support didn't want to take any responsibilities.

Now i'm really afraid if I send back the laptop to them, they will just keep it for them. BAM, I'll lose everything. So Alienware team, if you won't help me and still acting like a bit*h, let's make it a war. I don't only post the issue here, but everywhere. I even have been thinking to use my internet marketing skills to promote my complains on web pages so people will know that if they buy an Alienware product, they'll be making a very big mistake. :)

Congratulations, Alienware. Your Area-51 M15X has just fooled me. You guys caught me in your trap. Now you can pay your bills by ******** me and other of your customers. One day, you're going to regret it.

The Original Godfather
08-30-2010, 6:37 PM
I never heard of Falcon, but those look Bad M***** F'in ***!!!

jarhead995
08-30-2010, 7:05 PM
no one plays pc games on a laptop.

lan tower gogogogogo

JDay
08-30-2010, 9:19 PM
I never heard of Falcon, but those look Bad M***** F'in ***!!!

They've been around for 18 years. The best part is that they are a US company and they build their custom systems right here in the United States, which means less jobs going overseas.

http://www.falcon-nw.com/company

Quality. Service. Craftsmanship. These are words that don't often apply in the PC business, but they are words we live by. Falcon PCs are not made on assembly lines in China. They're not supported by a call center outsourced to India. They're built and supported right here in the Pacific Northwest.

jkcerda
08-30-2010, 9:31 PM
They've been around for 18 years. The best part is that they are a US company and they build their custom systems right here in the United States, which means less jobs going overseas.

http://www.falcon-nw.com/company

laptops look good, but, didnt make it to their pricing after playing a bit on their site.:o

Uriah02
08-30-2010, 9:37 PM
A true gaming laptop is an oxymoron. In all fairness though in the last couple of years I have been questioning the validity of PC gaming in light of the high quality consoles offer for a fraction of the price, performance-wise at least.

Alaric
08-30-2010, 9:45 PM
I have a fairly ancient (5 years?) Qosmio g25 I'm typing this on right now. Great laptop overall. I still play tons of Civ 4 on it too. No, you don't play shooters, RTS or other hardcore online games on a laptop. But a turn based strat game like Civ 4 is fine.

Only problem I've had with mine is the screen went out after a couple years, just before the warranty ran out. Replacing the screen basically paid for the warranty - it was a wash.

Overall though, given the analysis jkcerda gave above, I'd go with the cheaper Toshiba as well. Stay far away from Alienware - their quality has plummeted in the past few years. As for the Falcon NW DRX, that looks pretty cool. But it weighs 12 pounds. Seriously, are you going to want a 12 pound laptop on your lap? Are you going to lug that thing around too?

Tigerdirect.com has some great deals on laptops, you might want to check them out.

JDay
08-30-2010, 11:05 PM
laptops look good, but, didnt make it to their pricing after playing a bit on their site.:o

The DRX series start at $3451.85, but that is their top of the line model. The TLX starts at $1677.70, however it's not going to have the same kind of performance.

JDay
08-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Only problem I've had with mine is the screen went out after a couple years, just before the warranty ran out. Replacing the screen basically paid for the warranty - it was a wash.

I bet you just needed to replace the inverter, $10 part and a 15 minute fix.

Alaric
08-30-2010, 11:12 PM
I bet you just needed to replace the inverter, $10 part and a 15 minute fix.

Well, that may be. All I know is that when I got it back it had a brand new screen in it. I know because the bezel around the screen is bowed out to this day, and the new screen doesn't have a few scratches my old one did.

JDay
08-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Well, that may be. All I know is that when I got it back it had a brand new screen in it. I know because the bezel around the screen is bowed out to this day, and the new screen doesn't have a few scratches my old one did.

I would expect that they replaced the screen. The CCFL back lights lose brightness over time, although those too can be replaced.

Alaric
08-30-2010, 11:22 PM
I would expect that they replaced the screen. The CCFL back lights lose brightness over time, although those too can be replaced.

That reminds me I still have to replace the backlight on my gf's old Dell laptop. #437 of 600+ items on my to-do list.

unlimitedrotations
08-31-2010, 3:17 PM
get a desktop much better for gaming and easier to upgarde down the line and whoever that guy is that is saying alienware sucks is a idiot i have had alienware for a long time and no problems bsod is either a virus or hardware issue you caused

JDay
09-01-2010, 3:29 PM
whoever that guy is that is saying alienware sucks is a idiot i have had alienware for a long time and no problems bsod is either a virus or hardware issue you caused

Let me start off by saying that you need to read the forum rules, name calling is a bannable offense. Just so you know I have over 20 years experience with computers, I know more than enough about this stuff to give an informed opinion.

Alienware do suck, they're overpriced cheap garbage (you're paying for the name, not quality). Just because you happen to have one of the non-lemon ones does not mean that is everyone's experience (I never have and never will buy one). All you have to do is search Google to find tons of complaints about them breaking or even being non-functional right out of the box. Here is an example.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/alienware-m17-high-performance/4864-3121_7-33367399-5.html

"Piece of Junk; Too good to be true." by Hydrotricithline on March 19, 2009

Pros: Amazing amount of value in a small package, I have mine fully loaded, 2 ssd's in raid 0, crossfire video card, with all the options. Competitive price spec wise vs competetors

Cons: Everything. Constant crashes, jittery performance even with moderate settings in games. CSR's don't even speak english half the time. Lemons.

Summary: My display driver crashes and is corrupted every 1-3 days. No reason.. no new installs. Nothing. My SSD's ended up DOA, I had to nothing short of threaten alienware to send me a replacement. They took a 1000$ hold on the drives which has yet to be refunded. Sound driver and wireless drivers (upgraded wireless intel wifi aswell) corrupt about every 1-3 days aswell right on queue. This is just a waste of time and a joke, alot of good quality components that theoretically should work well.. I don't know what alienware botched. but they simply do not work. Maybe a heating issue, maybe just some crappy drivers. Alienware releases the only working versions of drivers that doing void your warranty. Avoid buying a M17, maybe the others work ok.. this is a complete pos. with the 1000$ hold on the SSD's I haven't got back .. I'm out a total of 8,989.33$ CDN from this, 599$ laptop from walmart works more reliable. Sad. True. 13 years Enterprise IT tech experience aswell.

Here's one a little more recent.

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?p=121314

04-14-2010, 01:40 AM

Well the new motherboard fixed it.

Then a week later that board went out. Out of the blue it started doing the exact same thing again. I have heard other reports on the net of other M9750's doing it also. The only motherboard I could get was a used pull from ztronics. At $330 for a used board that lasted a week it wasn't a great deal. Alienware will sell a used board for it for $250 but they will not sell the board outright, you have to let them install it for $300 so the total would be $550 from alienware for the same used junk.

BTW alienware claim they replaced the motherboard in this notebook 8 months ago right before the warranty expired. So if there telling the truth this notebook has gone through 4 motherboards in a year in a half. One of those boards went on my bench. Honestly I think alienware is lieing because there was no evidence that the board was ever changed before I went in to it.

Just a tip for everyone. Don't ever recommended or buy alienware computers. There junk.

Or you could just go to the official Alienware forum and look at all the hardware issues people are having.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746.aspx

Posted by tidyu on 25 Aug 2010 1:22 PM

Hey guys I've had my R1 M17X for a little under a year now, got it in around October time last year. I've been having a lot of problems lately, beginning with:

* Power Adapter is constantly saying it is not the correct wattage. I normally leave my laptop connected up by the back but the main plug pulled out so no electricity is going to it - however 80/100 times this is done I apparently don't have the right wattage for the machine.
* I am getting repeated problems with the software in regards to the graphics cards and even had one replaced at one stage due to heat issues - it topped 90 degs! This was fixed and I've not had the heat problem since but my "NVIDIA Kernel" bits keep on crashing. Since this time last week I can count at least 4 blue screen crashes. Drivers are current, direct from NVIDIA. Yes, I have tried the Dell ones, but they cause my M17 to come out of SLI without any prior warning at all.
* No matter what I do my M17 does not have Respawn at all, which I find quite strange, I thought all Alienware's came with it?
* I am getting random, intermittent system freezes - no blue screen, just a complete computer freeze as though I've just stopped doing anything. This is consistent and has happened three times already.

Overall I am not very happy and have spoken Tech support who do not want to help me out in this. I know there is a constant problem with the R1 generation of M17's. My brother has recently bought an R2 M17 and there are no problems whatsoever.

JDay
09-01-2010, 3:35 PM
I forgot to post this one from the Alienware forums, apparently if you reinstall and restore software that came with the system you may need to have your motherboard replaced. How is that for quality.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19339913.aspx

Posted by DELL-Chris M on 23 Jul 2010 5:20 PM

If you are running a later version of Command Center, you cannot revert to the older version contained in the Resource DVD that was shipped with your system. Customers who reinstall Windows or uninstall Command Center, and then reinstall must be careful to not use the Resource DVD to reinstall Command Center as the firmware on your system board (laptops) or the firmware on your MIO board (desktops) may become corrupted necessitating a system board or MIO board exchange.

unlimitedrotations
09-01-2010, 4:23 PM
if you took offense to idiot i appoligize cry baby and i will agree that alineware has gone down hill since they were taken over by dell but before that they were very good pcs a bit over priced yes

JDay
09-01-2010, 4:29 PM
if you took offense to idiot i appoligize cry baby and i will agree that alineware has gone down hill since they were taken over by dell but before that they were very good pcs a bit over priced yes

A bit over priced? More of a 2x-3x markup.

Nodaedul
09-02-2010, 10:54 AM
I purchased one of he Qosmio laptops off Amazon for $1100 with no tax. It had the most powerful graphics card for the least money in all the laptops I saw. Every Qosmio laptop has he same graphics card so the higher priced ones only give you blurry, faster processors, higher res screen, bigger mem and hard drive, none of which will make your games go significantly faster. These laptops are huge though so be warned. My only complaint is that a higher res screen would look nicer bu it's not that bad.

Caliyanks
09-02-2010, 11:20 AM
I've owned a Toshiba Quosimo for a couple of years now. Its one of the satilite versions. I'm not a tech geek, But i'll say this, I love it. It plays my HD movies and I've Played WoW and other PC games on it and I have never had any issues with it (graphics are just as good because of the card and its HD). It was worth it to me. Can't see needing another one for a long time. I just use extenal drives as neccessary.(has 300 GB internal)

AS45-70
09-02-2010, 4:09 PM
A true gaming nerd doesnt play on a lap top but they work fine for a most games. Id love to get one to play with but just cant justify it, i have two gaming desktops as it is. Would be nice to have a lap top for when i am traveling but i dont do that enough to justify getting one.

Alienware is ok i just wouldnt pay those prices for the name when an equal laptop can be found for less. I didnt think Dell was that bad, at least for folks who need 24 hr tech support it seams like a good option. + you can trade in your old stuff and apply it to a new system later and make payments if you cant buy it outright.

unlimitedrotations
09-02-2010, 8:13 PM
dell as a company is cool but when they took over alienware the quality and workmanship on the computers went down and yes real gaming nerds use desktops agreed