PDA

View Full Version : Rifle racks in the back window of a truck..

INJUNTOM
08-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Anybody notice you don't see that anymore? Against the law? Not sure myself, but surely with all the thieves nowadays it's not a good idea.

I was in a gun store today and asked the young fellow helping me what the law was regarding the shotgun I was picking up since I didn't have time to bring a case with me:

Me: So, will I be Ok not having a case for this on the ride home?

Him: What are you driving? A car or SUV?

Me: A pickup

Him: Do you have some sort of storage compartment or something?:

Me: No, I have one of the racks in the back window of my truck...

Him: :eek:

Quiet
08-28-2010, 12:50 AM
They pretty much went away, when all the Gun Free School Zone (GFSZ) laws went into effect.

Under CA laws, while transporting, a long gun just needs to be unloaded.
However, Federal GFSZ law, requires all firearms to be in a locked container.

As long as you do not drive through a school zone, it's legal to have an unloaded shotgun/rifle in a rifle rack in your vehicle.

TNP'R
08-28-2010, 2:12 AM
Anybody notice you don't see that anymore? Against the law? Not sure myself, but surely with all the thieves nowadays it's not a good idea.

I was in a gun store today and asked the young fellow helping me what the law was regarding the shotgun I was picking up since I didn't have time to bring a case with me:

Me: So, will I be Ok not having a case for this on the ride home?

Him: What are you driving? A car or SUV?

Me: A pickup

Him: Do you have some sort of storage compartment or something?:

Me: No, I have one of the racks in the back window of my truck...

Him: :eek:

Those were the good ole days my friend.It was nice seeing a rack of shotguns hanging on the rear window of a pick up.

randy
08-28-2010, 2:43 AM
I went to high school with a gun rack and guns. Times have changed.

GrizzlyGuy
08-28-2010, 5:23 AM
They pretty much went away, when all the Gun Free School Zone (GFSZ) laws went into effect.

Under CA laws, while transporting, a long gun just needs to be unloaded.
However, Federal GFSZ law, requires all firearms to be in a locked container.

As long as you do not drive through a school zone, it's legal to have an unloaded shotgun/rifle in a rifle rack in your vehicle.

The federal GFSZ law (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones#Law) also allows for a locking gun rack, for those who want to be nostalgic and legal at the same time (and don't mind being pulled over by LEOs who don't know this is legal):

in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is
on a motor vehicle

Donny1
08-28-2010, 6:41 AM
I have had this argument with my GF. She said gunracks ar not legal in CA. I said show me the law, and she could not. It's ridiculous that they could outlaw a piece of would or metal based on what it could hold. But many think it's illegal.

Rob454
08-28-2010, 6:54 AM
I took mine off simply because of the chance of some idiot breaking in thinking I have guns stored in the car. I simply have my back seat folded down and thats where I put my shotgun when Im out hunting. Easy to get to.

Eat Dirt
08-28-2010, 7:35 AM
I used to have one in that 4 X 4 that is pictured in my avatar

It held an 'ol single shot .22 I kept in it / Just for fun
Never had any problem

The reason I took it out :: Kept hitting my head on the dang hooks when I went off-roading ............:eek:..........Ouch

But you're right ,, I haven't seen one in years !!

galekowitz
08-28-2010, 7:40 AM
I have the plastic Winchester rack in my truck now. It's good for hanging hearing protection and a range hat.

tntmo
08-28-2010, 8:36 AM
I saw them for sale in the sporting goods section of the El Centro WalMart the other day...hadn't seen gun racks in a long time. Almost bought them just as a novelty.

rojocorsa
08-28-2010, 10:56 AM
I see one on a truck in Pacific Grove from time to time; there's a dog toy ball thrower thing resting in between the hooks.

HotRails
08-28-2010, 11:25 AM
I remember seeing them all the time, even some kids bringing rifles in their racks to school. I think they have gone away with the increase in theft. Its been a very long time since I've even seen one.

Tenamaxtle
08-28-2010, 7:05 PM
I see them every day, at least two of my workers carry their rifles in gun racks. And the kids who live up the street carry a shotgun on their pick-up rack. But I live in the woods literally, there are days with out seeing LEO's.

TNP'R
08-28-2010, 7:45 PM
I haven't seen one in years either.Like what was said earlier with theft so common now days I don't blame people for not using them,that coupled with increasing gun laws make it confusing to most people.

RTE
08-28-2010, 8:17 PM
PC now :rolleyes:
Fishing pole racks

DougJ
08-28-2010, 9:02 PM
I graduated high school in California in 1982. I used to park in the school lot with a rifle or shotgun in the rack all the time. Heck I don't even remember locking the vehicle...

In the years since we've managed to make much criminal and deviant behavior acceptable or at least reduced the stigma associated with it, while at the same time make guns themselves evil. There's some progress for ya.

Diesel-Gunner
08-28-2010, 9:26 PM
Used to walk across the public park with my 12 GA to get to my duck blind. Nobody even looked at me wierd. Couldnt do that today, I wonder when it changed?

TNP'R
08-28-2010, 9:34 PM
Used to walk across the public park with my 12 GA to get to my duck blind. Nobody even looked at me wierd. Couldnt do that today, I wonder when it changed?

You could do it, its legal. You would get looks but you wouldn't be arrested if its unloaded.Just probably hassled though lol.

saint7
08-28-2010, 9:38 PM
I hate this so much... criminals are allowed to carry guns where every they want as they have no regard for the law but law abiding citezens can barely even own a gun in the state of California.

Something is backasswards!

joedogboy
08-28-2010, 9:49 PM
You still see them in other states, but they generally only have guns in them when the truck is on the way to a camp site during hunting season.

Most people don't just leave a rifle or shotgun in the rack anymore.

God Bless The Mauser
08-29-2010, 12:05 AM
My deuce and a half has a double rifle bracket mounted to the dash. Now to get an M1a and retro M16 to fill it, I guess the M1 Garand will do for now.

t001
08-29-2010, 7:03 AM
Saw one in a beat up small pick up around Palo Alto/Stanford area a few years ago. It had a what looked like a Daisy air rifle or some such on the rack too. Surprised the heck out of me since that area tended to be ritzy and politically correct. Kudos to the gentleman driving the. I don't think he's flaunting it. Just passing through. Hope nobody harrassed him for it.

GrizzlyGuy
08-29-2010, 7:17 AM
I graduated high school in California in 1982. I used to park in the school lot with a rifle or shotgun in the rack all the time. Heck I don't even remember locking the vehicle...

I graduated the same year and we used to do the same thing. Most of the students and a lot of the teachers were into hunting, so we'd sometimes get the guns out at break and stand around in front of the cafeteria (with teachers) doing a show-and-tell, comparing notes, swapping lies and even dry firing. Nobody thought a thing of it.

INJUNTOM
08-29-2010, 8:32 AM
Thank god we have all those groups to protect us from ourselves.. :cool:

TNP'R
08-29-2010, 8:37 AM

In the years since we've managed to make much criminal and deviant behavior acceptable or at least reduced the stigma associated with it, while at the same time make guns themselves evil. There's some progress for ya.

I graduated the same year and we used to do the same thing. Most of the students and a lot of the teachers were into hunting, so we'd sometimes get the guns out at break and stand around in front of the cafeteria (with teachers) doing a show-and-tell, comparing notes, swapping lies and even dry firing. Nobody thought a thing of it.

Damn,I was born in 82 lol

DaveFJ80
08-29-2010, 11:27 AM
I took mine off simply because of the chance of some idiot breaking in thinking I have guns stored in the car.

This. I knew people who had their trucks broken into and either their rifles stolen or their gun rack seriously tweaked when they tried to break loose the rifles locked on there. It's just another form of advertisement for thieves, like leaving a laptop on the passenger seat.

I hate this so much... criminals are allowed to carry guns where every they want as they have no regard for the law but law abiding citezens can barely even own a gun in the state of California.

Just be glad you're not living in the UK, where a normal citizen owning any type of firearm is illegal. And people wonder why crime and break-ins are so high over there.

DougJ
08-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Damn,I was born in 82 lol

Ah-Ha... Everything was fine until you came along. Now I know who to blame!

Army
08-29-2010, 12:53 PM
It's more likely because the farms and ranches started less than a mile from town. Now, they're all 30 miles or more away.

No farmers and ranchers in town....no gun racks either.

Eat Dirt
08-29-2010, 3:38 PM
Had a Buddy with a nice lifted 4 X 4,,, back -in-the-day

He had a plastic full size M-16 in the gun rack ? just for the fun of it

Never got pulled over !!! Never had a problem

Today .............. People would be calling S.W.A.T.