PDA

View Full Version : FFL receiving a serialized upper.

Colt-45
08-27-2010, 6:19 PM
I'm 20 years old and I'm trying to find different ways that I can receive a rifle.

In the past I was told that an FFL cannot transfer a lower receiver to me until I turn 21 because of the possibility that it can be made into a pistol or SBR. Only a complete rifle can be transferred to me at this time.

The rifle I'm after has the serial number on the upper receiver.

Can an FFL transfer a serialized upper receiver to someone in the ages of 18,19,20?

thevic
08-27-2010, 6:24 PM
You have to be 21 for a lower itself (i dunno if thats law or store policy)

18 for a complete rifle

Never heard of a serialized upper

thevic
08-27-2010, 6:25 PM
Were talking about ar15's im assuming?

Colt-45
08-27-2010, 6:34 PM
Let's use Bushmaster ACR's and FN SCAR's as an example. The upper is the serialized portion of the rifle.

freonr22
08-27-2010, 6:36 PM
Fals too?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-27-2010, 6:44 PM
I'm 20 years old and I'm trying to find different ways that I can receive a rifle.

In the past I was told that an FFL cannot transfer a lower receiver to me until I turn 21 because of the possibility that it can be made into a pistol or SBR. Only a complete rifle can be transferred to me at this time.

The rifle I'm after has the serial number on the upper receiver.

Can an FFL transfer a serialized upper receiver to someone in the ages of 18,19,20?

An FFL can only transfer a complete rifle or shotgun to somebody who is 20 years old. If the serialized upper receiver you are talking about is considered a firearm (like on a FAL) then it can't be transfered to you by an FFL until you turn 21. It has nothing to do with the fact that a certain receivers can be turned into handguns or SBRs. It's because Federal law says FFLs can transfer firearms to people under the age of 21 unless the firearm is a rifle or shotgun.

Colt-45
08-27-2010, 6:54 PM
An FFL can only transfer a complete rifle or shotgun to somebody who is 20 years old. If the serialized upper receiver you are talking about is considered a firearm (like on a FAL) then it can't be transfered to you by an FFL until you turn 21. It has nothing to do with the fact that a certain receivers can be turned into handguns or SBRs. It's because Federal law says FFLs can transfer firearms to people under the age of 21 unless the firearm is a rifle or shotgun.

I didn't make that up myself. That's what an FFL told me a while back. HE was wrong.

rbetts
08-27-2010, 8:38 PM
I didn't make that up myself. That's what an FFL told me a while back. HE was wrong.

Federal law requires that you be 21 years or age or older to purchase a stripped receiver or frame. If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun. However, they still are "firearms" by definition, and subject to the same GCA limitations as any other firearms. See Section 921(a)(3)(b). 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(1) makes it unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any person under the age of 21.

Colt-45
08-27-2010, 10:06 PM
I've heard of another FFL who considers a serialized upper a "rifle". Is this person at risk?

Cokebottle
08-27-2010, 10:22 PM
The FFL didn't understand the law.
He was correct that he couldn't sell a stripped lower to you, but he was incorrect in WHY.

The reason is simple.... Federal law says that you may purchase a long gun when you are 18. Anything else, you must be 21.

The 4473 has three options.... handgun, long gun, and "other".
The stripped lower (as well as a cruiser shotgun) both fall under "other".
Since they are not long guns in the eyes of the BATF (even though California DROSes them as "long gun", since it lacks an "other" category), you must be 21 to receive one.

The same would be true for an upper, IF the 4473 is tagged "other". A firearm qualifies as a "long gun" only if it has a barrel =>16" and an attached buttstock designed to allow the weapon to be fired from the shoulder.

If the upper lacks a buttstock or barrel, then it too would have to be processed as "other" and you would not be able to receive one under age 21.

painkiller
08-29-2010, 12:12 AM
sig 556's too,serilalized upper