PDA

View Full Version : M14/M1A Dummy Selector Switch?

ElBandito
05-09-2006, 7:44 PM
So I was at the range today with my Springfield M1A(im 200rnds lighter ehehe) and the range master came along to admire the only m1a on the line and noticed my dummy selector switch but didnt think it was a dummy. So he started giving me grief about "whered you get that reciever?" "is that full auto?" so on and so forth. I kept telling him its attatched to the stock, not the reciever and even took it apart to show him. He told me if any LE guys came around Id most likely be in jail in no time. Can this be true? There is no way I could possibly make it to work full auto so I was thinking he was just giving me s#!t. What do you guys think? Should i take it off as to save myself some harrassment from less knowlegable LE or range officials? BTW The rifle was transfered to me out of state with the selector if that means anything.

50 Freak
05-09-2006, 7:50 PM
The conversation should have ended when you showed him the selector switch was connected to the stock and not the receiver.

Sounds like this range master needs to worry more about who's downrange during a hot period than worrying about an obviously legal rifle.

Which range was this at?

ElBandito
05-09-2006, 8:01 PM
sunnyvale rod and gun. the RO had every right to check but the fact that he continued after i showed him made me wonder. any LE guys here know for a fact?

50 Freak
05-09-2006, 8:31 PM
I personally don't like the Sunnyvale gun and rod club. Last time I was there. The range master gave me heartache for leaving my loaded FAL on the table in the presence of a little girl.

This "little girl" is my 19 year old sister (who looks young, I admit) but has shot all of my guns everything from a 10/22 to a 50 bmg and can probably outshoot him.

FUDGER!!!!!!

ElBandito
05-09-2006, 8:36 PM
every other RO Ive met has always been nice except the one in particular who always seems to give me some bad vibe. oh well.:rolleyes:

NeoWeird
05-10-2006, 12:42 AM
I was always worried about a 'less informed' LEO officer giving me trouble for random things (originally started when I made an 80% receiver a couple years ago). If there is one thing I have learned on these forums is that I under estimate the intelligence and information given to LEOs as a whole. That's not to say that there are a good number of LEO's out there that are just stubborn or arogant in their (lack of) knowledge; but as a whole I am constantly surprised what they are aware of. Even under the absolute worst case scenario, if you were pulled in for something like that (which has like a .01% chance of happening), I bet it wouldn't go past very many officers before someone noticed the misshap and start asking why you were brought in. Remember, it IS there job to know the law, and there are a good number that do (and of course some that don't).

As for ROs, I always get the impression that they were all issued a rules book 30 years ago and never had to do anything else past that to get/keep an RO job. It makes me think of a short while ago when I was at the range with a shooting buddy of mine. He had several AWs out (all registered) and I was playing with his 10/22 in a krinker plinker kit (the old ones that were really nice, with the East German side folders, and not the krinkov rip off). We were on a private tac at Burro minding our own business when this guy goes out of his way from the normal pistol range to come talk to us. He just comes straight at me and asks something that made me pause and wonder what he was talking about, because it wasn't the normal "are you LEO?" question, but was more like "You can't have that here" but in question form (I know, big help). I kind of starred at him blankly for a second not really understanding his question and he continues "suppressors are illegal in California." Well I had just finished loading the mag when he started talking, so we explained that the 'suppressor' was a fake to get the legal barrel length. I fired it a couple times to show no decible reduction. He wasn't convinced, so he took it and tried to unscrew it off the barrel. After struggling to the point where he couldn't, he took down the information on the gun and went to talk to the boss to see if it was legal. An hour later he hadn't returned, so I assumed he was too embarassed (kirnker plinkers were already popular at this time).

ROs may be certified to know proper firearm handling, but that is all it means. They don't need to know jack about gun laws. I bet a SU-16 with a flash suppressor would go by without a glance, but a pump shotgun with a pistol grip gets evil eyes. If it's legal, and you know it is, then you don't need to ecplain it to anyone; and if a LEO ever asks, they will be able to tell the difference.

Stargazer
05-10-2006, 8:01 AM
I've read somewhere that if your rifle has even one mg part in it, it is considered a mg in the eyes of the law. If the dummy selector switch is such that it was manufactured to be a dummy and cannot be used in a real mg, then you are fine. But if the dummy selector switch came from a real mg, then you are not fine.

EOD Guy
05-10-2006, 8:25 AM
I've read somewhere that if your rifle has even one mg part in it, it is considered a mg in the eyes of the law. If the dummy selector switch is such that it was manufactured to be a dummy and cannot be used in a real mg, then you are fine. But if the dummy selector switch came from a real mg, then you are not fine.

BS. There is no such regulation and the M1A is not capable of full auto fire. The switch cannot be assembled to any part of an M1A mechanism.

Hitman
05-10-2006, 9:35 AM
It makes me think of a short while ago when I was at the range with a shooting buddy of mine. He had several AWs out (all registered) and I was playing with his 10/22 in a krinker plinker kit (the old ones that were really nice, with the East German side folders, and not the krinkov rip off). We were on a private tac at Burro minding our own business when this guy goes out of his way from the normal pistol range to come talk to us. He just comes straight at me and asks something that made me pause and wonder what he was talking about, because it wasn't the normal "are you LEO?" question, but was more like "You can't have that here" but in question form (I know, big help). I kind of starred at him blankly for a second not really understanding his question and he continues "suppressors are illegal in California." Well I had just finished loading the mag when he started talking, so we explained that the 'suppressor' was a fake to get the legal barrel length. I fired it a couple times to show no decible reduction. He wasn't convinced, so he took it and tried to unscrew it off the barrel. After struggling to the point where he couldn't, he took down the information on the gun and went to talk to the boss to see if it was legal. An hour later he hadn't returned, so I assumed he was too embarassed (kirnker plinkers were already popular at this time).

HAHAHA was that the time you were shooting with me? I'm suprised he didn't question my AR 9mm with the fake suppressor as well.

homerm14
05-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I think the majority of LEO's probably would'nt even notice the switch. I would and I would question you, however I am fully aware that the dummy swithces are made so I would'nt be that concerned. I also can't think of any reason it would be against the law.

JaeFern
05-10-2006, 9:34 PM
BS. There is no such regulation and the M1A is not capable of full auto fire. The switch cannot be assembled to any part of an M1A mechanism.

I concur. Screw them. Your M1A is totally legal and the dummy switch should be left on. It's legal, you paid for it, use it. Err, display it. What ever, keep the thing on.

DsF_Saint
05-10-2006, 10:07 PM
If you are asking if the switch is legal, it sounds like it. If you are asking if you can get arrested for it, quite possibly. The average law enforcement officer has no obligation to disassemble your weapon to check out the action. They definitely would not fire it. As a matter of fact, it would probably be against his policies if he did. If you were arrested, you would likely be in jail long enough to get the rifle tested by a firearms expert, or until you posted bail. Once it was tested, you would likely be released, since your charges would be dropped (unless they got you for something else).

There is a high probability you would not receive any compensation, and would likely have no false arrest claim, since the weapon has been modified to look like a fully automatic weapon. When it comes to false arrest, there is a theory called the reasonable man theory. Would a reasonable man believe the weapon is fully automatic? By the looks of it probably yes.

Hope this helps...

You should seek proper legal advise though, before making decisions that may or may not be legal.

PistolKidd
05-11-2006, 6:38 AM
As far as you having a "dummy selector" for your rifle.. that's absolutley fine.. the tang for connecting the FA selector has been cut off, so as others have mentioned, there's no way for it to work in that capacity. Have no fear, you're not breaking any law. People will say all sorts of stupid ***** to scare you but the reality is that nobody wants a bad bust and it would be a monumental waste of time to lock you up. That's not to say that you wont get the rifle confiscated, but that's always a risk with an incompetent LEO.

I think if you presented the facts in a friendly manner (yes, honey is better than vinegar in this situation) than you should be able to avoid further 'scrutiny'. Showing/explaining that the selector connects to the stock should pretty much demonstrate it's role as something non-functional.

Im hoping that any RO/LEO familiar with the M1A to actually know that the FA switch is that little nub, then they're going to be competent enough to know that what "you" have is just something cosmetic and completely legal.

And a big -1 for your RO being a boob.. I have a SA M1A and have thought about getting the dummy selector to fill in the void on the older wooden stocks... I'd be 'annoyed' to say the least if they kept insisting I was "gonna get busted" despite showing them it was merely connected to the stock..:mad:

PistolKidd
05-11-2006, 6:51 AM
I've read somewhere that if your rifle has even one mg part in it, it is considered a mg in the eyes of the law.

this is not so...

ATF has posted official material regarding M16 BCGs for use in an AR15 lower receiver. .. The M16 bolt works in both platforms, but is distinctly made for FA use as a regular AR15 bolt will not trip the FA sear. This isnt the same thing as a LL or RDIAS however which are NFA items.