View Full Version : Mildot Scope Question

08-27-2010, 9:04 AM
Hi everyone been a long time browser and have something I need help on. My dad got points through his work that he can spend and we decided on a Carl Zeiss 3.5-10x44 scope. I originally decided on the mildot reticle they have to offer but i recieved the standard duplex reticle when they shipped it out to me. At this point I'm kind of confused, I'm not sure whether to stick with the duplex or to trade in for the mildot reticle. Im not sure if the added benefits of rangefinding would really be that significant for me since I dont do any long range shooting yet but I'm planning on getting into hunting within the next year. So if I can have some feedback and advice on whether to stick with the standard duplex for my uses or trade in for the mildot reticle number 43, that would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

08-27-2010, 9:07 AM

This is some good reading, it does not take that long, and after having read it, you may end up with a better formed answer.

08-27-2010, 9:23 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I gave the link a quick read and it helped a little. I just dont know yet what to do. Whether to go with the mildot reticle or stay with the standard duplex for simplicity and just use a range finder if need be. Is there any other advantages other than holdover and rangefinding in the mildot scopes ?

CA Desert Dog
08-27-2010, 10:00 AM
If you don't do any long range shooting, stick with the duplex.

08-27-2010, 4:18 PM
You can hunt with the Mildot easily, (I do it all the time) but it's much harder to shoot long range with the duplex.

08-27-2010, 4:31 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I will go with the mil dot because it gives me options for later and something new to learn. I was just kind of battling it in my head whether the mil dot would have features I would never use but even so I guess they are always there. Thanks again

08-29-2010, 11:26 AM
I use my mil dot reticles with my NF ballistics program on my palm for hunting and long range shooting. If you are not into the long range shooting, the duplex will be fine, but not for me :D Welcome to Calguns!