PDA

View Full Version : Safe affidavit question.

luckystrike
08-26-2010, 9:35 PM
by signing it does that give anyone permission to come to your house and say something like "we want to see this safe", is it the honor system, or am I just suffering from gunshop FUD?

thanks

CSDGuy
08-26-2010, 9:46 PM
IIRC, the ATF hasn't promulgated any regulations as to what constitutes a safe that would qualify for that affidavit, therefore they take the view that the affidavit doesn't provide the exemption from the lock that it's supposed to...

Now if that has changed... well, good for them! I don't necessarily think that they'd be THAT efficient though.

paul0660
08-26-2010, 9:52 PM
Honor system. The feds, (ATF) require locks for handguns regardless of safe or cabinet, so the safe affidavit only works for long guns in California.

jtmkinsd
08-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Honor system. The feds, (ATF) require locks for handguns regardless of safe or cabinet, so the safe affidavit only works for long guns in California.

It is simply a signed statement by you stating you own the gun safe you listed at the top of the form and that is where you are going to store your gun at home. It does not give anyone the right to come knocking on your door and demand to see your safe. Now, that said, if you were to get in some kind of trouble or for whatever reason the authorities gained entry to your home and find a bunch of loose guns laying around and no safe...the question may come up at a later time, "Where's the safe you said you had?" But that is so far out there only the REALLY paranoid would give that scenario a second thought.

luckystrike
08-26-2010, 11:39 PM
roger that, thanks for the info everyone

POLICESTATE
08-26-2010, 11:42 PM
What if I plan on storing my gun in my car? Hehehehehehe