PDA

View Full Version : court papers as residency proof

aznanimekid
08-26-2010, 8:41 PM
anyone know if its a viable option? i know about the lease option but if i can save myself the trouble of notarizing a fake piece of paper with something i have on hand i'd love it.

Shady
08-26-2010, 9:19 PM
nope

porkchop
08-26-2010, 11:05 PM
might work. are they jury summons?

jtmkinsd
08-26-2010, 11:13 PM
might work. are they jury summons?

If it's just a court filing like a motion or something along those lines then no. If it something with the seal of the county on it and it states your name and address then yes. It cannot be a form filled out in hand and turned in by you, but if it comes from a government agency then it would be acceptable.

aznanimekid
08-27-2010, 1:44 AM
it's a contested ticket. i have both the result of the trial and a letter that came with the trial papers, both with the SF superior court stamp and my address on it. i guess the next step is to call the FFL. thanks guys!

marcus_bervus
08-27-2010, 2:05 AM
the provision of the law is quite specific as to the acceptable documents to establish residency.... "what the law does not include, it exclude"

aznanimekid
09-08-2010, 2:47 PM
just as an update to this. i visited city arms in pacifica to ask if they would accept my citation trial papers as proof and it was a no go. apparently it is because the address on the papers match my current CA DL address. why this makes it ineligible i have no idea.

he went on to say that if my DL address and the papers did NOT match, it would've been viable. so just an FYI to anyone wanting to go down this road.

jtmkinsd
09-08-2010, 6:08 PM
That makes no sense...lol...I forgot to add the caveat: Finding an FFL who will take them is the hardest part. I DO accept court papers as proof of residency...I believe I'm in the minority though.

mrlightning559
09-08-2010, 6:38 PM
Does a paystub count? Or w2? I guess if it's the only form you have...

LloydXmas250
09-08-2010, 6:45 PM
Does a paystub count? Or w2? I guess if it's the only form you have...

I tried using paystubs and got turned down. Had to get a notarized lease document. I was living with my parents when I bought my first handgun and therefore had no utility bills in my name.

lt1corvette
09-08-2010, 6:47 PM
I was told by a gun shop that a W2 was ok. Paystub was no.

jtmkinsd
09-08-2010, 6:59 PM
I was told by a gun shop that a W2 was ok. Paystub was no.

I take paystubs...if you work for a government agency