PDA

View Full Version : DROSing off listed handguns with "hi capacity" mags

ragenmoan
08-26-2010, 8:57 AM
For a handgun not listed on the Ca DoJ handgun list, can its 13 round magazine be transferred PPT to a Cali resident?

ke6guj
08-26-2010, 9:28 AM
easy answer, NO.

thedonger
08-26-2010, 9:36 AM
Unless they are a LEO....

ragenmoan
08-26-2010, 9:45 AM
can i purchase the handgun with 13 round magazine rebuilding kits? can i DROS the handgun without a magazine? do I really need to demonstrate safe handgun handling to the ffl?

ke6guj
08-26-2010, 10:16 AM
can i purchase the handgun with 13 round magazine rebuilding kits? yese

can i DROS the handgun without a magazine? well, you are supposed to do the handgun safety demo with that handgun, or another one of the same model, and to do so, you need a magazine of some sort. I have known people that have sold handguns with large-caps keep one magazine assembled when they went to the dealer to do the PPT. They would have the dealer do the HSD at the beginning of the PPT with the seller's large-cap mag, and then the seller would disassemble the mag and give it to the buyer.

do I really need to demonstrate safe handgun handling to the ffl?the law requires it. I don't recall having to actually have to do it very often, but it is the law.

H3llpl3ss
08-30-2010, 11:59 AM
I have bought 2 pistols and never done the handgun safety demo.

ragenmoan
08-30-2010, 12:40 PM
it is the law. if the FFL feels confident about your ability, he may pass on the demo. on the otherhand, i had a FFL go so far as to have me stick my finger into each cartridge position on the revolver's cylinder to make sure it was unloaded.

jtmkinsd
08-30-2010, 1:34 PM
it is the law. if the FFL feels confident about your ability, he may pass on the demo. on the otherhand, i had a FFL go so far as to have me stick my finger into each cartridge position on the revolver's cylinder to make sure it was unloaded.

If the customer is LE I can assume he knows how to load and unload the weapon safely. I usually hand them the gun to look at before we do paperwork anyway so I just observe them handle the weapon and if I'm satisfied by the way they handle the gun I won't make them go through the actual steps. BTW I have an instructor card and by law I'm supposed to go through the demonstration too when buying handguns.

ke6guj
08-30-2010, 1:37 PM
If the customer is LE I can assume he knows how to load and unload the weapon safely. I usually hand them the gun to look at before we do paperwork anyway so I just observe them handle the weapon and if I'm satisfied by the way they handle the gun I won't make them go through the actual steps. BTW I have an instructor card and by law I'm supposed to go through the demonstration too when buying handguns.

well, if the customer is LE, then he is exempt from the HSC requirement, and therefore exempt from the HSD requirement as well.

But for the rest of us, do you just watch us handle the gun and if satisfied, call it good enough?

jtmkinsd
08-30-2010, 4:20 PM
well, if the customer is LE, then he is exempt from the HSC requirement, and therefore exempt from the HSD requirement as well.

But for the rest of us, do you just watch us handle the gun and if satisfied, call it good enough?

If I've sold you a number of guns (I have many repeat customers), I can assume you haven't forgotten how to safely handle a firearm. New customers always go through the steps of the demo, forgot about the exemption when i posted earlier...military as well...funny thing is I've sold a number of firearms to military personell who've never handled a firearm...but they're exempt? Makes no sense

tenpercentfirearms
08-30-2010, 10:09 PM

LE is exempt. For anyone who isn't exempt, I don't care how many times they have been into my shop, they will do the demonstration since we both sign an affidavit stating we did the demonstration. If they find it tiresome, then we live in Kern County and there is no reason they shouldn't have a CCW and I let them know that.

XL650
08-30-2010, 10:21 PM
As an earlier post stated. When I go in to buy a gun I ask to handle it to "show" the person that I'm buying it from that I know what I'm doing. I try and buy a hand gun every 31 days and very rarely get asked. It may be $250 Tokarev or it may be a kimber, but, I try. If it's some one new, young or if you go to Bass Pro, they always want me to do the test and I comply. What're you going to do, this the republik we live in.