PDA

View Full Version : PPT using a temporary CA DL

helixultra
08-26-2010, 9:33 AM
I lost my DL and I have a temporay license from DMV. Can I buy/sell via PPT with just a temporary license? I have my naturalization paper with my photo on it . Is that sufficient enough to perform a PPT transaction? Thanks in advance.

halifax
08-26-2010, 9:40 AM
No. Your DL (or CA ID) gets scanned into the DROS software during a PPT as either the buyer or seller.

ragenmoan
08-26-2010, 10:05 AM
I thought any government photo ID would be OK, passport green card etc. to establish identity. Proving residence is done with other docs such as recent utility bill, auto registration.

helixultra
08-26-2010, 10:09 AM
I thought any government photo ID would be OK, passport green card etc. to establish identity. Proving residence is done with other docs such as recent utility bill, auto registration.

And that's what I understand too!

jtmkinsd
08-26-2010, 12:27 PM

There may be some FFL's who will process your transaction with the documentation you have, you have to look in your area and ask around. It is not absolutely mandatory that your CA license/ID information be "scanned" into the DROS system. License/ID info can be entered manually but again, some FFL's choose not to accept anything that won't scan (I'd probably lose a good deal of business if I did that because any damage to the magnetic portion of the ID can cause it not to scan), but it is their choice, not mandatory. It would be better to have an old ID and the new printout from DMV. Passport is no good, but green card is.

Capt_Communist
08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Is your temporary license one that says not a valid form of in on the bottom?

if so... then it won't work.

halifax
08-26-2010, 1:05 PM
There may be some FFL's who will process your transaction with the documentation you have, you have to look in your area and ask around. It is not absolutely mandatory that your CA license/ID information be "scanned" into the DROS system. License/ID info can be entered manually but again, some FFL's choose not to accept anything that won't scan (I'd probably lose a good deal of business if I did that because any damage to the magnetic portion of the ID can cause it not to scan), but it is their choice, not mandatory. It would be better to have an old ID and the new printout from DMV. Passport is no good, but green card is.

Although you can enter the information manually, under normal circumstances a scan must still be obtained whether directly into the DROS software or into Wordpad:

12077(d)4(f) Effective January 1, 2003, the purchaser's
name, date of birth, and driver's license or identification
number shall be obtained electronically
from the magnetic strip on the purchaser's driver's
license or identification and shall not be supplied
by any other means except as authorized
by the department. This requirement shall not
apply in either of the following cases:
(1) The purchaser's identification consists of a
military identification card.
(2) Due to technical limitations, the magnetic
stripe reader is unable to obtain the required information
from the purchaser's identification. In
those circumstances, the firearms dealer shall
obtain a photocopy of the identification as proof
of compliance.

helixultra
08-26-2010, 1:08 PM
On top it says Interim Driver license and license number
and at the bottom it says This license is issued as a license to drive a motor vehicle/it does not establish eligibility for employment,voter registration or public benefits

jtmkinsd
08-26-2010, 5:41 PM
Although you can enter the information manually, under normal circumstances a scan must still be obtained whether directly into the DROS software or into Wordpad:

He has a temporary...I'd call that a technical problem...Exemption (2)

halifax
08-26-2010, 6:10 PM
He has a temporary...I'd call that a technical problem...Exemption (2)

You might but I don't think the DOJ would agree.

Then there is this (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#11):

Does California law permit the use of a temporary license as a form of identification for firearm purchases?

Neither temporary driver's licenses nor temporary identification cards are accepted forms of proof of identity and age.

And this (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#14G):

What identification is required for a person to purchase a firearm?

Clear evidence of identity and age is defined as a valid California driver's license or a valid California Identification Card issued by the DMV. Military identification is also acceptable if accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California, but the dealer must retain copies of both documents.

Temporary driver licenses and temporary identification cards (issued without photo) are not accepted forms of proof of identity and age.

tenpercentfirearms
08-26-2010, 10:22 PM
You might but I don't think the DOJ would agree.

Then there is this (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#11):

And this (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#14G):

halifax in for the win.

Anyone who accepts a temporary license is in violation.

jtmkinsd
08-26-2010, 10:46 PM
I think I got a little misunderstood...or mispoke...The interim driver's license can not be used as a primary form of identification...of course it's got no picture, but as a government document it can be used as supporting documentation of residency...reading his post again he originally said he had a "naturalization document" with picture...unless it's a green card or permanent resident card he has to wait until his license arrives to buy/sell a firearm.

The discussion about entering information into the DROS system was a seperate question about manually entering the information...for that one could use the street address on the interim driver's license and manually fill out the buyer info on the DROS

Am I wrong in any of that?

tenpercentfirearms
08-27-2010, 6:57 AM
I think I got a little misunderstood...or mispoke...The interim driver's license can not be used as a primary form of identification...of course it's got no picture, but as a government document it can be used as supporting documentation of residency...reading his post again he originally said he had a "naturalization document" with picture...unless it's a green card or permanent resident card he has to wait until his license arrives to buy/sell a firearm.

The discussion about entering information into the DROS system was a seperate question about manually entering the information...for that one could use the street address on the interim driver's license and manually fill out the buyer info on the DROS

Am I wrong in any of that?
Yes.

Please see halifax's posts above. The CA DOJ will only accept three types of identification for starting a DROS. CA ID, CA DL, or Military ID with duty station orders. THEY DO NOT ACCEPT TEMPORARY LICENSES! Manual entry, swipe the card, telekineses; it doesn't matter. Unless you have one of those three hard plastic IDs, I am illegally starting a DROS. Now I could do it, but in an audit or if you are an undercover agent, I am busted.

Now for the 4473 and federal requirements. You could use a temporary ID to prove federal residency if your DL or ID address do not match your current address. However, you would still need a valid DL or ID to run DROS and hence fill out the 4473. So maybe you have a non-expired DL or ID in plastic form with your photo on it and you just changed your address and got a temp paper copy with your new address. That would work for federal proof of residency, but my understanding of the temp license is because your plastic card is expired or you don't have a plastic card.

jtmkinsd
08-29-2010, 4:39 PM
Yes.

Please see halifax's posts above. The CA DOJ will only accept three types of identification for starting a DROS. CA ID, CA DL, or Military ID with duty station orders. THEY DO NOT ACCEPT TEMPORARY LICENSES! Manual entry, swipe the card, telekineses; it doesn't matter. Unless you have one of those three hard plastic IDs, I am illegally starting a DROS. Now I could do it, but in an audit or if you are an undercover agent, I am busted.

Now for the 4473 and federal requirements. You could use a temporary ID to prove federal residency if your DL or ID address do not match your current address. However, you would still need a valid DL or ID to run DROS and hence fill out the 4473. So maybe you have a non-expired DL or ID in plastic form with your photo on it and you just changed your address and got a temp paper copy with your new address. That would work for federal proof of residency, but my understanding of the temp license is because your plastic card is expired or you don't have a plastic card.

Ok, I see where I missed the mark, basically all he could use it for is secondary proof of residency on a handgun purchase...but he could just use a utility bill for that.

tenpercentfirearms
08-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Ok, I see where I missed the mark, basically all he could use it for is secondary proof of residency on a handgun purchase...but he could just use a utility bill for that.

I would not use a temporary license for a handgun transaction POR. Since it is technically the same exact document as a plastic hard copy, I wouldn't see it being proof of anything. True, they won't accept it as proof of identity, but that is because it does not have a photo on it. However, it is still the same as the primary identification so you really aren't getting a secondary proof of residency, you are getting the same thing over again.

So now, I would not use a temporary license as a secondary proof of residency for state handguns. I would however use it for POR for federal non-matching to primary DL or ID as it is a government issued document. And that is possible if you say lost your old license with the old address on it, went and got a new paper one with your new address, but the next day found your old license in your house before the new one showed up.