PDA

View Full Version : Glocks point of aim vs 1911..

mixwell
08-25-2010, 8:05 PM
Just a simple yes or no answer to this.. As a new Glock owner I found myself have to tip the barrel down a little more from a 1911, beretta style of grip angle. Is this what you guys mean when you say you "aren't used to the Glock grip angle" ? It's something I noticed taking my Glock out to the range.

Thanks in advance !

OneSevenDeuce
08-25-2010, 8:10 PM
Weird, most people describe the opposite. Personally I have no idea what any of you are talking about. I just line up the sights, press the trigger, and everything turns out fine.

Mr_Monkeywrench
08-25-2010, 8:13 PM
Yeah, I dont care too much for the Glock Grip angle. I found it kind of difficult to pick up on the front sight with a natural point of aim. I found myself always having to make slight tilt adjustments to get it on. That's one of the reasons why I made the 1911 switch and I haven't looked back

trickyvic
08-25-2010, 8:13 PM
Yes, that's what people mean. For me, it's all sight picture. As your bringing any pistol up to fire you should be looking for your sights. There isn't a pistol in the world that I can bring up and be on target every single time, it takes practice.

JTROKS
08-25-2010, 8:14 PM
Yes or No.

mixwell
08-25-2010, 8:14 PM
Weird, most people describe the opposite. Personally I have no idea what any of you are talking about. I just line up the sights, press the trigger, and everything turns out fine.

Yah I know what you're saying and I line up my sights but something just feels a little "different" when I shot my Glock compared to my 1911, Taurus pt92.. That was only 1 range visit and I would soon like to get some 3 dot night sights for my next upgrade.. funny that the glock is the only firearm I have purchased upgrade parts for.. It is like having a hot rod to me and installing better parts to make it better which is cool with me. So far I have a 22lb steel guide spring rod, extended take down tabs cuz it was a pain in the arse for me using my left hand (maybe because I'm lefty) and I threw on some talon grips.. Soo far though I Fking love my glock. I had wanted one sooo long after getting into firearms and I finally went through with it and got one :)

OneSevenDeuce
08-25-2010, 8:17 PM
Yah I know what you're saying and I line up my sights but something just feels a little "different" when I shot my Glock compared to my 1911, Taurus pt92.. That was only 1 range visit and I would soon like to get some 3 dot night sights for my next upgrade.. funny that the glock is the only firearm I have purchased upgrade parts for.. It is like having a hot rod to me and installing better parts to make it better which is cool with me. So far I have a 22lb steel guide spring rod, extended take down tabs cuz it was a pain in the arse for me using my left hand (maybe because I'm lefty) and I threw on some talon grips.. Soo far though I Fking love my glock. I had wanted one sooo long after getting into firearms and I finally went through with it and got one :)

Maybe it has less to do with grip angle than it does with the sights then. Honestly, the Glock grip angle ISN'T that extreme. Talon grips are a must though. I love them.

mixwell
08-25-2010, 8:18 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't know if it was just me but I have noticed people mentioning Glock's grip angle and now I can kinda see personally what people are talking about. While traditionally I'm used to my 1911 and Taurus pt92 grip angles + I hadn't been to the range in forever+new gun my results were less than average and kinda demoralized me on my shooting ability.. I don't even want to say how bad some of the groupings were @ 10yds.. haha..

TMC
08-25-2010, 8:20 PM
ask Brad

AIMSMALL
08-25-2010, 8:21 PM
OP, which one did you get? how bout a pic? :thumbsup:

mixwell
08-25-2010, 8:21 PM
Maybe it has less to do with grip angle than it does with the sights then. Honestly, the Glock grip angle ISN'T that extreme. Talon grips are a must though. I love them.

Yah bro I agree !! I wish I would have went with the RTF2 but I thought it was a bit much but after handling it for a while and experience sweaty hands I kinda regret it.. Plus those fish scale serrations are pretty sexy to me.. I don't know why some people think glocks are ugly, I think they're sexy but a 1911, beretta 92 have always been amazing designs even when I was a kid and didn't know crap about guns but would see them in the movies..

OneSevenDeuce
08-25-2010, 8:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't know if it was just me but I have noticed people mentioning Glock's grip angle and now I can kinda see personally what people are talking about. While traditionally I'm used to my 1911 and Taurus pt92 grip angles + I hadn't been to the range in forever+new gun my results were less than average and kinda demoralized me on my shooting ability.. I don't even want to say how bad some of the groupings were @ 10yds.. haha..

Don't worry about it too much. If you throw anything new into the mix it can take some getting used to. Don't expect yourself to be proficient with a new platform after 1 range session. That isn't even enough time to figure out if your shoes fit.

OneSevenDeuce
08-25-2010, 8:25 PM
Yah bro I agree !! I wish I would have went with the RTF2 but I thought it was a bit much but after handling it for a while and experience sweaty hands I kinda regret it.. Plus those fish scale serrations are pretty sexy to me.. I don't know why some people think glocks are ugly, I think they're sexy but a 1911, beretta 92 have always been amazing designs even when I was a kid and didn't know crap about guns but would see them in the movies..

You know, I don't get all the fuss with the looks of Glocks. I think they look cool. And this is coming from a guy who grew up on 1911s. They are big and clunky, like an old pickup truck. Which I also think looks cool.

mixwell
08-25-2010, 8:27 PM
You know, I don't get all the fuss with the looks of Glocks. I think they look cool. And this is coming from a guy who grew up on 1911s. They are big and clunky, like an old pickup truck. Which I also think looks cool.

Hell ya !! I think the 70's Ford F150s are sexy as hell but this is a gun forum so I I'll save that for another forum haha.. Anyways thanks for the input guys I appreciate it !!

OneSevenDeuce
08-25-2010, 8:27 PM
Cheers. Have fun with it.

9mmepiphany
08-25-2010, 8:31 PM
as trickyvic said, it's all about picking up your sights on the way out to extension and putting them on your target.

if you really pay attention to it (your grip on the frame), you find that the Glock requires a more relaxed grip/wrist

mixwell
08-25-2010, 8:42 PM
OP, which one did you get? how bout a pic? :thumbsup:

As you request sir.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f103/mixwell1983/Glock.jpg

themailman
08-25-2010, 8:44 PM
I was a Sig guy and still am but I just bought a new G19 and I have noticed the same thing. So....I bought 500rds and shot em all til I was on target.

mixwell
08-25-2010, 8:45 PM
as trickyvic said, it's all about picking up your sights on the way out to extension and putting them on your target.

if you really pay attention to it (your grip on the frame), you find that the Glock requires a more relaxed grip/wrist

Yah I do shot iso stance and usually have a pretty firm grip and use the "thumbs forward" type of grip but traditionally I used to shoot more of a weaver stand with right arm extended and my right thumb was on top of my left and I used to shoot well.. I think I've also embraced the new iso + thumbs forward grip also so i think the cons of new gun+ grip angle+ newer stance platform+ haven't been to the range in a while is playing a huge key on factors. I did shoot pretty accurate with my 92 at my last range visit adapting to the thumbs forward grip and now it is beginning to feel really natural/comfortable to me so I'm sure in a few more trips I hope to get more familiar with the Glock because soo for I am extremely happy with the purchase.

AIMSMALL
08-25-2010, 8:48 PM
Nice!, my glock 30 is in the 10 day jail at the moment, funny thing is they told me I can't pick it up till the 12th day?? I didn't realize till I got home and looked at the calander.

So how much were the grips?

OneSevenDeuce
08-25-2010, 8:49 PM
As you request sir.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f103/mixwell1983/Glock.jpg

Great setup. I love my Talon Grips too.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/onesevendeuce/glock17finished.jpg

mixwell
08-25-2010, 8:51 PM
I was a Sig guy and still am but I just bought a new G19 and I have noticed the same thing. So....I bought 500rds and shot em all til I was on target.

Nice to hear bro !! Glad It's not that I am a retard haha.. I see you post up in Oceanside some time ? Are you in the military ? If not do you usually hit up iron sights ? My bro in law is in the Marines in Pendleton but they're in the process of relocating to NC so I told them I would babsit their base house a couple times since im in L.A.. The pistol range on the base is really chill but I hear you have to have a person with active military ID so I was like crap because I wanted to do something fun on the weekend so I may hit up iron sights if my bank account will let me go :25:

AIMSMALL
08-25-2010, 8:53 PM
Nice to hear bro !! Glad It's not that I am a retard haha.. I see you post up in Oceanside some time ? Are you in the military ? If not do you usually hit up iron sights ? My bro in law is in the Marines in Pendleton but they're in the process of relocating to NC so I told them I would babsit their base house a couple times since im in L.A.. The pistol range on the base is really chill but I hear you have to have a person with active military ID so I was like crap because I wanted to do something fun on the weekend so I may hit up iron sights if my bank account will let me go :25:

PM me if you do, thats where my glock is camping :)

mixwell
08-25-2010, 8:54 PM
Great setup. I love my Talon Grips too.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/onesevendeuce/glock17finished.jpg

I will admit at the risk of sounding like a retard that it took me a little while to get those grips on.. You have to almost get them on at the right angle in order for them to wrap around properly.. I had to unstick the grip a few times to get more of a downward angle on the right side so the damn grip didn't obstruct the mag release button haha. Even as it sits it is VERY close on the grip to mag release but everything is working properly.. I didn't have the talons before I went to the range.. Not that it matters, just mentioning it.. Nice G17 !!

OneSevenDeuce
08-25-2010, 8:56 PM
I will admit at the risk of sounding like a retard that it took me a little while to get those grips on.. You have to almost get them on at the right angle in order for them to wrap around properly.. I had to unstick the grip a few times to get more of a downward angle on the right side so the damn grip didn't obstruct the mag release button haha. Even as it sits it is VERY close on the grip to mag release but everything is working properly.. I didn't have the talons before I went to the range.. Not that it matters, just mentioning it.. Nice G17 !!

It can take some doing. Thankfully Talons are very forgiving and let you reposition them if you need to. You will notice the difference when you shoot with the Talons on I think. I know I did. No slipping up and down, which I think is a big issue for Glock, otherwise why would they release so many different grip textures?

mixwell
08-25-2010, 8:58 PM
PM me if you do, thats where my glock is camping :)

Most likely I will dude.. I'm goin up this weekend for sure and I'm pretty sure I have the funds, just want to double check. Looks like my bank account from what I can see gives me the ok on it.. I will PM you and if you're free it would be cool to go if you want, it will probably be one of the last few times I will be in that area for a while.

mixwell
08-25-2010, 8:59 PM
It can take some doing. Thankfully Talons are very forgiving and let you reposition them if you need to. You will notice the difference when you shoot with the Talons on I think. I know I did. No slipping up and down, which I think is a big issue for Glock, otherwise why would they release so many different grip textures?

Yah dude you have a point.. WHY did the RTF2 come out if everything was okie dokie with it ! I blame my bad shooting on the grip of the Glock and that's my story ! :D

themailman
08-25-2010, 9:01 PM

Yup I a Marine out here. I hit up Iron Sights about once a week and put 100 to 200rds through my pistols if my wallet/wife will allow it that is. If your ever down here and wanna shoot hit me up and can work on our terrible glock shooting lol.

mixwell
08-25-2010, 9:05 PM
Nice!, my glock 30 is in the 10 day jail at the moment, funny thing is they told me I can't pick it up till the 12th day?? I didn't realize till I got home and looked at the calander.

So how much were the grips?

Didn't see if this was answered already but the grips were only $9.99 and that includes shipping !!

ojisan
08-25-2010, 9:10 PM
There are two basic grip styles out there in the handgun world.
For example, the steeply sloped grip angle of a Luger forces you to rotate your hand down until your wrist locks, which is the old European way to shoot target pistols.
Western guns like the Single Action Army revolver (Peacemaker), the 1911 any many others have a just pick it up and it naturally points straight ahead grip angle.

I was surprised when Glock introduced the first model 17 that he went with the old Euro grip angle in what was supposed to be a super modern design....here he should have copied JMB / the West IMHO.

mixwell
08-25-2010, 9:12 PM
Yup I a Marine out here. I hit up Iron Sights about once a week and put 100 to 200rds through my pistols if my wallet/wife will allow it that is. If your ever down here and wanna shoot hit me up and can work on our terrible glock shooting lol.

Sounds good to me bro !! AIMSMALL appears to live in the area also and I PMed him my contact info.. I told him im going to be in the area from Friday about 7:30pm after work until about 5-6 on Sat.. I forget when the range base closes but it is cheaper and if you'd be willing to be a sponsor we could meet up OR if not we can meet @ iron sights.. I don't know what side of the base you're on but the base house was damn near right off Oceanside Harbor Dr I think (by the 76 merge off the 5 by the Carrows and some strip club?) It is a decent ways further than Basoline or whatever that area is.. I think she said it was the "main gate" Anyways from what I know from once inside, that main strip is Vandergrift and you pretty much take it down and make a left near what looks almost like an airport, don't know if you're familiar with that area and I don't want expose to much info but if you'd be willing to go to the range on base I think it only requires an active duty person and you can have guests because I have been there before.. If not we could hit up iron sights, either way is chill with me. This should probably be PMed info but yea..

DaveFJ80
08-25-2010, 9:19 PM
Personally I have no idea what any of you are talking about. I just line up the sights, press the trigger, and everything turns out fine.

Same here.... just line up the sights and shoot. Only, I actually like shooting my Glock 19 more than my Kimber TLE :p

OneSevenDeuce
08-25-2010, 9:22 PM
Same here.... just line up the sights and shoot. Only, I actually like shooting my Glock 19 more than my Kimber TLE :p

I go back and forth. I shoot my Glock 17 more than anything, but I usually bring a 1911 along too. Firing off 3 or 4 mags of .45 from a steel pistol can feel real nice after a full day of practicing with the Glock.

9mmepiphany
08-25-2010, 9:23 PM
I was surprised when Glock introduced the first model 17 that he went with the old Euro grip angle in what was supposed to be a super modern design....here he should have copied JMB / the West IMHO.

I was surprised that he was brave enough to copy the old Luger grip too, but it makes sense when you consider that the Luger is considered one of the best pointing guns of all time...it is based on the fencing grip...it is also the angle of Olympic target pistols

there are a lot of pros to this grip, when shooting with the latest techniques. the Glock grip angle has both hands at the same angle when shooting thumbs forward

mixwell
08-25-2010, 9:38 PM
I was surprised that he was brave enough to copy the old Luger grip too, but it makes sense when you consider that the Luger is considered one of the best pointing guns of all time...it is based on the fencing grip...it is also the angle of Olympic target pistols

there are a lot of pros to this grip, when shooting with the latest techniques. the Glock grip angle has both hands at the same angle when shooting thumbs forward

I do notice this in a lot of .22 target pistols ie the browning buckmark and my pops has a Hi Standard pistol with damn near the same grip.

JTROKS
08-25-2010, 9:46 PM
It helps if you pay attention to the sights instead of just the front sight or by feel. It takes a bit of getting used to when you switch from a 1911 to a Glock or vise verse.

rrr70
08-25-2010, 9:47 PM
Both of my GLOCKs (G19 and G30) point straight for me. 1911 points low, XD points to the left.
I do know that GLOCKs point straight, because having CT lasers on them and ponting a gun in front of the mirror with eyes closed I consistenly get a laser dot midle of chest.

mixwell
08-25-2010, 9:50 PM
It helps if you pay attention to the sights instead of just the front sight or by feel. It takes a bit of getting used to when you switch from a 1911 to a Glock or vise verse.

Well that is what I did was lining up the sights but it felt different in the grip with having to almost angle more downwards to get the sights lined up which is what I was initially asking.. It didn't seem as "natural" per se as my 1911 which is why I was questioning my grip etc but I used the same grip I normally do (thumbs forward)

mixwell
08-25-2010, 9:52 PM
Both of my GLOCKs (G19 and G30) point straight for me. 1911 points low, XD points to the left.
I do know that GLOCKs point straight, because having CT lasers on them and ponting a gun in front of the mirror with eyes closed I consistenly get a laser dot midle of chest.

Interesting.. I think I maybe jumping the gun on this question since I've only taken it to the range once since I purchased it but it was a noticeable difference which made me pose the question. I think some mroe range time behind it will help.. Hell after all I only shot about 100 rds through it that day and I was switching back and forth to my 1911 .22 conversion to try and drag it out without spending a million dollars @ the range.

Gryff
08-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Just a simple yes or no answer to this.. As a new Glock owner I found myself have to tip the barrel down a little more from a 1911, beretta style of grip angle. Is this what you guys mean when you say you "aren't used to the Glock grip angle" ? It's something I noticed taking my Glock out to the range.

Yes. If I close my eyes while holding a Glock, then push the gun out and index it so that I think it's on target, I'll find that I'm aiming high after I open my eyes.

zfields
08-25-2010, 10:39 PM

Sigs and 1911's are the only guns I can really punch jagged holes on paper with for some reason.

JTROKS
08-26-2010, 6:12 AM
I used to sound just like you. When I shoot USPSA matches I shot my Caspian hi-caps in open and my Para-STI 40 in limited. I also shoot my single stack 1911s to keep proficient, and a Glock was not even thought of to shoot because of how it pointed for me. I just kept shooting my Glocks at the range until lo and behold I developed a grip that makes it point straight and natural. I supposed if you develop the muscle memory after shooting enough rounds and dry firing it can be considered natural. I still prefer shooting my 1911s, but I do have a Glock 23, 27 and 35 that I don't worry about shooting high anymore when I shoot double taps. It's just awareness, plus you need to focus on the front sight anyway. Now the Glock 21 is a different story due to it's fat arse grip.

Well that is what I did was lining up the sights but it felt different in the grip with having to almost angle more downwards to get the sights lined up which is what I was initially asking.. It didn't seem as "natural" per se as my 1911 which is why I was questioning my grip etc but I used the same grip I normally do (thumbs forward)