PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XD replacement barrels and compensators?

protoolsnerd
08-25-2010, 3:46 PM
Hi everyone !!
I have a springfield XD tactical 9mm which i love ...... more then 2k rounds through it with only one failure and it was due to a faulty primer. I couldn't be happier with my gun, but now it's time to improve its performance.

First lets talk barrels. Does anyone have a preference between Storm Lake, EFK, Barsto etc? I'm leaning towards storm lake myself , mid range in price and drop in..... no machining necessary....

On the topic of compensators . I've heard they are more effective then getting an extended ported barrel.What do you guys think? I've really only seen the springer precision one. Any other options out there or are they the ones to check out ?

Amongst a few other upgrades.....mag well extension, mag release button upgrade , red dot sight.....i'm thinking those are the first parts to improve .

What do you guys think? And are there any preferred gunsmiths that work on XDs?

zfields
08-25-2010, 3:53 PM
You may wanna check out xdtalk.com

springer does awesome work, did my grip chop and soon to be trigger job. With barrels, go a full custom fit.

railroader
08-25-2010, 4:13 PM
I have some questions. Since you can't have a threaded barrel or the pistol will be considered an assault weapon how would the comp be attached? If the comp is permanently attached how do you get the barrel out of the slide to clean everything? Mark

jmf_tracy
08-25-2010, 7:36 PM
You may wanna check out xdtalk.com

springer does awesome work, did my grip chop and soon to be trigger job. With barrels, go a full custom fit.

+1
talk to scott springer and then send him your gun, you will not be sorry.
i absolutely love the work he did on my tactical & subcompact.

protoolsnerd
08-25-2010, 9:59 PM
Awesome , thanks for all the suggestions...... Can we really not have threaded barrels here in cali? I hadn't heard that as a stipulation to the AR laws.

zfields
08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
JMF what trigger package did you go with. Im still deciding between a match trigger or carry.

X-NewYawker
08-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Bar Sto.
They did my XD-9 which is a raging machine and waiting on XD45 barrel. I thought about getting a six inch bbl for my Tactical XD45 -- still wondering it that would look cool or dumb.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/handguns/XD-9-1.jpg

vta
08-25-2010, 11:10 PM
i had a ported 6 inch EFK xd40 9mm conversion barrel for my xd40 tactical. drop in fit and had no problems with it. sold it because i dont reload 9mm and had no other guns in that caliber any more. not sure if the ports did much for a 9mm but i think it would help if you shot competition.

protoolsnerd
08-26-2010, 3:05 AM
Well it looks like a ported barrel is going to be the way to go unless i can get someone to affix the compensator to the front of the slide and not the barrel itself. I'm not willing to get a compensator permanently attached to a barrel. I like to keep my gun clean. I emailed scott @ springer precision, hopefully he'll have some good ideas. Man i tell ya those Glock diehards are really missing out on a fantastically refined version of their weapons.