PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into the AK thing.

calAWBsux
05-08-2006, 5:41 PM
I HAD a Joeken receiver, but I sold it, cuz I just decided the whole AK thing. Now, after really thinking about it, I decided to go through with it; however, I want something that's of better quality than the Joeken receiver (which I heard is decent, if anything). Can anyone PM some leads on AK receivers??
Thanks!

EBWhite
05-08-2006, 5:47 PM
You have 2 choices out there:

DCI or Global Trades/Armory USA

DCI are selling at 55 bucks for a romanian bulgarian ak74 type. They are very good quality.
Armory USA/GT are nice but out of stock on most right now. I know a guy that has GT 5.45 ak74 if you want to build one of those too. Let me know

I'd recommend buying multiple receivers from DCI, get one yugo and one romy, maybe more. They are cheap and worst case you can build them later when board. They are CHEAP and it never hurts to have more!

calAWBsux
05-08-2006, 5:56 PM
You have 2 choices out there:

DCI or Global Trades/Armory USA

This is what I would REALLY want to have, but I guess I'm outta luck if they're outta stock.

DCI are selling at 55 bucks for a romanian bulgarian ak74 type. They are very good quality.
Armory USA/GT are nice but out of stock on most right now. I know a guy that has GT 5.45 ak74 if you want to build one of those too. Let me know

I'll pass on the 5.45, as I'm looking to specifically have a 7.62x39 rifle.

I'd recommend buying multiple receivers from DCI, get one yugo and one romy, maybe more. They are cheap and worst case you can build them later when board. They are CHEAP and it never hurts to have more

Will the Yugos only take the Yugo kits? Or will they also work with the Romy kits? I don't think I want to buy the economy receiver, cuz it just seems too cheap. Or does this even matter when talking about AK's?? How about the NDS-7? NDS-7??

calAWBsux
05-08-2006, 6:00 PM
Is it better to have a receiver without the TRUNION HOLES pre-drilled??

markymark
05-08-2006, 6:02 PM
what about the ITM MK99?

EBWhite
05-08-2006, 6:12 PM
You also have one more choice, ITM arms- however their parent company- OOW is banned by make so its up to you. ITM are also only spot heat treated but are pretty much up on the level of quality to the armory usa and dci's

The DCI romanian receiver is a basic AKM- AKM stands for AK "modern". Modern AK's are build on a straight 1mm thick receiver (used for chinese, romanian, russian, bulgarian, egyptian, hungarian, german, polish, etc.)

Yugo in the 70's/80's designed their own AK, using the thicker 1.6mm buldged front trunion normally used in the RPK (AK light infantry MG w/ thicker barrel-heavier duty than standard AKM)

You can call GT and order a receiver, but time is of the essence.

If I were you, I would order 2 DCI NDS-3 (AKM) and one Yugo underfolder (NDS-4) They are in stock and of high quality at a good price. You ship them a money order, and you quickly are shipped these receivers.....

The pre drilled trunions make is easier, sometimes you need to egg shape the holes for fitting but DCI's are pretty accurate. My GT 5.45 74 receiver is not drilled so it will add extra time to my build- i wish it was drilled :-)

any more questions, feel free to ask.

thisismyboomstick
05-08-2006, 6:27 PM
Global's can usually be found if you look hard enough. If you are really unsure about what you want to build definitely go for the receiver w/o trunnion holes. Personally I think you are better off using the "holeless" ones no matter what. Drilling those holes is by no means the hardest part of the build anyways. I started with a Global w/o holes and did all of the drilling and cutting on it for a Polish underfolder. Wasn't that bad.

xenophobe
05-08-2006, 6:48 PM
DCIs are fully heat treated, include all the rails, holes predrilled, etc... Consistency from receiver to receiver is excellent.

PanzerAce
05-08-2006, 7:18 PM
DCIs are fully heat treated, include all the rails, holes predrilled, etc... Consistency from receiver to receiver is excellent.

+1 on DCI, the one I am picking up on wednesday from SJGE looked great when I last saw it (lo those days ago). also, the NDS-3 is a 7.62, not 5.45 IIRC

Charliegone
05-08-2006, 9:46 PM
I have a ITM arms mk99 which is not on the list and I tested the parts which fit well even the bolt rides smooth, but the front trunion section might need a bit of trimming. Also the ITM receiver does not have trunion holes. This can be a plus, depending on what tools you have or whether you want to use rivets. The other plus is they are pretty sturdy. They defintely won't bend with hand pressure like the Ewbanks.

vrylak
05-09-2006, 8:06 AM
+1 on DCI's. NDS-X receivers are excellent products. They shouldn't even call their NDS-3s as economy receivers, it's misleading, one might think it may not be as good as the rest of their receivers. My NDS-3 fit perfectly on my Hungarian trunion, holes lined up exactly, it's as if I sent them my own trunion to get fitted with a receiver. Same is true with their Yugo receivers, NDS-4 and NDS-5, those things are beefed up pretty good.

On a side note, can anyone provide the thickness on those ITM receivers. NDS-3s are 1mm

Thanks

50 Freak
05-09-2006, 12:21 PM
After spending 3 hours last night working on putting in an adjustable trigger in one of my guns (lots of grinding and shapping involved for a "drop-in"). It made me realize to build an AK type gun would take a hell of a long time and frankly...I don't spend enough time with the wife and kid as it is.

My point is: just buy an off list AK. It may cost you a hundred bucks more than building one by yourself, but you will at least know it's built right, and you save yourself from many many hours of ripped knuckles, filthy fingernails, and swearing like a crack ho going through re-hab.

Unless you like things to do things like that.

calAWBsux
05-09-2006, 6:17 PM
Where can I get one of those??

EBWhite
05-09-2006, 6:19 PM
Personally, i'd like to build one so i can call it my own and have the pride to say- YA i built it...

CAL- some people on GB.com or ak forums will ship to CA if you ask nicely and let them know they are legal. Or if you want a special one from an un friendly dealer, ship it to spreadfire for the extra 30 bucks and they will make it legal for CA transfer.

calAWBsux
05-09-2006, 6:30 PM
Hmm....gracias.

50 Freak
05-09-2006, 7:59 PM
Cal,

Just make sure it's an unlisted AK, look for Vepr's and such. Do a search, I think we listed a few that were definitely unlisted.