PDA

View Full Version : Question about AK mags

JosephStalin
05-08-2006, 3:58 PM
I need to know if a single-stack 10 round AK magazine will work with a Romanian parts kit + NDS-3 receiver. I've read somewhere that single-stacks only work with certain types of AK, and if that's the case, I'll need to buy double-stacks instead.

Also, does anyone happen to know if there is any place to buy a 10-round magazine that looks like a 30 rounder? I really like the look of the long magazine sticking out of the AK, and it would be nice to obey the law while still having that look. If not, I'll be stuck with the shorty 10 rounders (and, even worse and even shorter, if I can only use double stacks). Thanks in advance.

Unknownassailant
05-08-2006, 4:09 PM
I'd figure a communist like Stalin would already know the answer to that query. :p

grammaton76
05-08-2006, 5:10 PM
Single stack mags will not work in a NDS receiver. The single stack mags were a way to avoid 922 compliance with a weapon that would not take full capacity mags. The idea died out quickly with cheap compliance parts becoming available. No one makes long 10 round magazines. I wonder if it would be legal to import a 30 round mag body for creating a neutered 10 round mag?

Yes, however you would probably need to get creative with pins, and make abso-posu-lutely sure that it can't accomodate 11 rounds with force.

Side note, there WAS a company that made a full-length 10rd AK mag with an MP3 player in it. Its ads had a girl in a bikini rocking out with headphones plugged into the bottom of the mag...

NeoWeird
05-08-2006, 7:04 PM
Yes, however you would probably need to get creative with pins, and make abso-posu-lutely sure that it can't accomodate 11 rounds with force.

Side note, there WAS a company that made a full-length 10rd AK mag with an MP3 player in it. Its ads had a girl in a bikini rocking out with headphones plugged into the bottom of the mag...

I thought it was a 10 round dragunov mag with that distinct waffle patterning :confused:

grammaton76
05-08-2006, 7:25 PM
I thought it was a 10 round dragunov mag with that distinct waffle patterning :confused:

Maybe it was one of those waffle pattern AK mags? I remember seeing that it was blocked off so that the rounds wouldn't interfere with the MP3 player, and I'm sure it was for 7.62x39mm...

NeoWeird
05-08-2006, 7:36 PM
This is the one I am talking about:

http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/kalashnikov/P0000381.gif

However, on the site it does have some women holding AKs so maybe there is a longer magazine version. Don't know. This was the site I got the picture from (first result from a google of "AK magazine mp3 player", so it may or may not be the official site).

WARNING: Probably not work safe for most people as it has women in bikinis on the site. I am NOT hot linking it on purpose to avoid people just clicking it without thinking. We have to think of the children; who knows what will happen if they see "pistol grips". :D

http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/kalashnikov/Ak-mp3.asp

ETA: Great. Thank you auto link :rolleyes:

JosephStalin
05-08-2006, 9:07 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll need to get a double stack magazine; what a shame. As for this:

I wonder if it would be legal to import a 30 round mag body for creating a neutered 10 round mag?

While it probably wouldn't be legal to import a new one, if you already happened to have a 30 round mag body (wink wink), if anyone wants to experiment with some creative welding or pinning, this could be a really cool way to outfit new-made AKs so they don't look quite so neutered (even if they still are). I'd love to see a step-by-step picture guide if it worked out.

Honestly, maybe all you'd need to do is drill a few holes and shave down the edges of the floorplate so that it fits inside the magazine at the 10 round point, then pin it into the middle of the magazine with screws or something to that extent and attach another floorplate at the bottom so that it looks complete. That way, it would still only hold 10 rounds, there would be no way to alter it so it would hold 30 again unless you took out the screws, and if you happened to already own the 30 round mag body before the ban, there's no reason why it wouldn't be legal.

Another idea would be to weld the shaved-down floorplate into the magazine so that it couldn't be moved at all no matter what, making a more permanent solution, so the DOJ or LEOs really couldn't ***** about it. However, if you did this, you would pretty much put that 30 round mag body out of commission forever if you wanted to take it to another state and use it as a 30 rounder.

Still, I think it would be worth a try if someone has the available materials without breaking the law.