View Full Version : Wireless Router/?

08-24-2010, 12:07 PM
I have a d-link wireless router hooked up to my DSL Modem. Thing has more recently had more "disconnections" than before. So im looking for replace both my router and dsl modem (4years old)and get a all in one type. Whats a good brand or model i should look for? Not looking for anything fancy. But Something that will provide a good signal all around the house

08-25-2010, 2:51 PM
Check out the Linksys WRT54L. I've suffered all the same problems you describe and this router has had much better range and reliablility than any others I've ever used.

Also, the Firmware is open source so tinkerers have drummed up some pretty slick firmware for it. I actually haven't installed any custom firmware because it's currently doing everything I need it to and I really haven't had time to sit down and tinker with it.

Check these sites for more info -

08-25-2010, 3:04 PM
I have a DLink that is a year old and hands down it is the best router I have ever had. Before you start dumping stuff, borrow a friend's router and see if it is not wiring from the cable company. Linksys is our customer but I would not use them at all personally. They overheated.

08-25-2010, 3:35 PM
d link dir-655

08-25-2010, 7:17 PM
Well, i have recently a wbr-1310. Which if you Google shows up a bunch of problems mainly the disconnection, i guess it explains the 1 egg rating in newegg :rolleyes:

Its not the ISP, its the router. Connection stays in my PC, but my ps3 and all wireless connections die and my router "resets".

Thanks for the info, im planning to get a new one this weekend. It went about a year without the issue. It was an issue before.

08-26-2010, 12:57 AM
Have you tried upgrading the firmware? Sometimes doing that will solve the problem.

bigger hammer
08-26-2010, 6:46 AM
Before replacing anything, try disconnecting the power on the router and the modem for 30 seconds or so. Sometimes they just need a reset.

08-26-2010, 7:21 AM
the reset is just a tempoary fix to the problem you should not have to reset stuff go with a different d link i have had one for a long time no problems and having worked for the cable company we use those two in one deals that is a modem and router and they suck much better as two different devices

08-26-2010, 9:46 PM
not all in one but I just picked up a Linksys E3000, dual channel N router, gigabit ethernet, and DD-WRT works on it perfectly.

08-27-2010, 6:03 AM
yea thats a good setup just the modem and router combos i have big issues with

08-27-2010, 7:03 AM
I say try powering down for 30sec and see if the problems go away. Regardless of whether you should or should not have to do it, it's a cheap alternative to power down every 3 months rather than replace the router.

I had an integrated wireless router when I had DSL. I bought a very inexpensive (like $15 or $20) Airlink 101 at Frys when I switched to cable. I used it for over a year but was never able to stream video or pictures to my XBOX360 from my PC. I finally decided to try out a Netgear refurb from Newegg (~$45), and streaming video to my XBOX is now seamless. I also installed DD-WRT on the Netgear.

My advice is not so much to buy a Netgear but more not to buy an Airlink! :43: