PDA

View Full Version : On the list or not?

andrei
05-08-2006, 9:15 AM
What is your opinion on DPMS "Panters Arms" MOD.A-15 reciever,
Listed or off-list?

PanzerAce
05-08-2006, 9:25 AM
IIRC, DPMS (all) is listed. So while whether this is a legal listing or not is sort of up in the air, I would NOT touch a DPMS with a 10 foot pole, especially since there are MANY other options that are clearly not on the list (Stag, Novske (sp), etc)

6172crew
05-08-2006, 9:55 AM
You can always write a letter to the DOJ and ask them what they think.

Are opinon means nothing when your talking about DPMS or Armalite, the Wilson Tac and RRA have letters that say we are good to go and there is 2 letters about the Armalites that go against each other.

bwiese
05-08-2006, 10:05 AM
"DPMS Panther (all)" is what is listed on the Kasler list (CCR sec 979.11).

Now, there may or may not be some DPMS A15 receivers with _no_ Panther or Panther Arms markings. I've heard it both ways. Such non-Panther DPMS receivers indeed would be legal to acquire and possess.

But why are you wanting a questionable receiver - when there are tons of truly off-list receivers out there that are clearly legal, and in the same price range????

Fjold
05-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe he has one actually marked "Panter Arms"

shopkeep
05-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I think we should probe deeper on this one, this is an opportunity for us to up the ante on them. The Harrot Decision threw out the (all) gimmick. Hence it could very well be that because (all) is no longer a valid means of listing that ALL DPMS recievers are now legal.

Fortunately whether or not they're banned or unbanned is irrelevant because DPMS isn't exactly the best brand on the market anyhow. however, their AR-10 is better than the HAR-25.

EBWhite
05-08-2006, 11:56 AM
DPMS made 3 receivers that I know of:

The current ones say:
Make: DPMS Panther Arms
Model: A-15

Late 90's:
Make: DPMS
Model: Panther Arms

Early 90's cast receivers:

These early cast ones never said anything about panther arms- those would be clearly legal.
The new dpms that states DPMS panther arms would prob be legla but its a grey area deal that might need to be fought in court.

The new one does say mod. a-15 so panther arms part cannot get confused as model.

bwiese
05-08-2006, 2:40 PM
Early 90's cast receivers:

These early cast ones never said anything about panther arms- those would be clearly legal.

Yes, I agree.

The new dpms that states DPMS panther arms would prob be legal but its a grey area deal that might need to be fought in court.

Yes, after a felony bust. And I feel this is near-identical situation as the Eagle Arms AR10, with separate Armalite marking - which we KNOW is a no-no.

The new one does say mod. a-15 so panther arms part cannot get confused as model.

The presence of Panther and the unclarity of "Panther (all)", combined with the fact that Panther Arms is just a marketing moniker for DPMS (much like Eagle is for Armalite), and that there is no separate Type 7 FFL, still means trouble.

If it says Panther on it, walk away.