PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Springfield XDM at Bass Pro Shops

mlatino
08-23-2010, 11:29 PM
I had some extra Bass Pro points to spend so I ended up special ordering an XDM 9 in OD Green.

2 hours later, the paperwork is finalized. My item is paid for. They've made copies of my CA ID/LE ID/Vehicle registration.. They sifted through paperwork for half an hour and passed it off from person to person to "check it off" several times as if they had no idea what they were doing... and THEN they gave it to the "manager" in the back room to "approve" the paperwork where I waited for another half an hour (and got irritated because I didn't anticipate being in Bass Pro Shops for 2 hours for a simple gun purchase).

Saleswoman comes back to me and says "Okay when you come to pick this up, since there's high capacity magazines we need a letterhead from your department saying: This gun is for on/off duty use, you can legally possess high capacity magazines, we need make/model/serial # listed on the letter, signed by your chief."

I tried explaining to her that I was not attempting to waive the 10 day wait, and that my PD ID should be sufficient for selling me the XDM w/ "hi-caps," and she responded "Well I'm just relaying what the manager told me."

What do I do now, if my agency won't give me this letter?

thevic
08-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Took 2 hours to Dros my rifle at bass pro shop in manteca also. Same exact crap was going on and they messed up the form and had to redo it.

mlatino
08-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Took 2 hours to Dros my rifle at bass pro shop in manteca also. Same exact crap was going on and they messed up the form and had to redo it.

Yup, this is the 2nd time I've had a terrible gun-buying experience at BPS in Manteca.

Last time was a PPT, and let me tell you, they have EXTREME H.U.A syndrome. That took 2+ hours as well.

jtmkinsd
08-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Afraid she's right about the high cap mags. You as LEO are only entitled to high cap mags for your duty/off duty guns. Language of the law says it must be in conjunction with your official capacity as LEO. So, a letter is needed for the mags. Only options are get the letter, let em keep your mags, or ship the mags back and try to get low caps from manufacturer.

thevic
08-24-2010, 12:04 AM
There was 4 guys behind the counter helping customers. I ask for the remington 700sps so the guy goes in the back and comes out quick with one. I left my card at home so my bro in law was going to pay. They make him go get a gift card because of straw purchasing policy (okay thats fine). I begin the paperwork and then the guy types the dros form info into the DoJ site and gets locked out for using caps lock or something accidently. Then the guy has to go in the back with the paperwork. Problem is no one is behind the counter anymore so he cannot leave the guns unattended. So he calls on the radio over and over for 20 minutes to get someone to watch the guns. eventually someone comes and he goes to the back. Another 30 minutes later he comes out and tells me im good to go i just have to wait for the manager come sign something off and he needs tp clock out. 30 mins later someone comes out and tells me they misspelled my last name on the DROs an have to redo it. Another 30 mins and they get the new dros number after finding the original sales guy who did my form because he was the only one who knew how o void the old dros. Again the guy cannot go to the back again because no one was watching the guns. Manager still never came out to sign off so another 20 mins eventually the manager comes out and signs me off. Then i reminded him to make a copy of my fingerprint dros form for me as he walked away from me

ke6guj
08-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Afraid she's right about the high cap mags. You as LEO are only entitled to high cap mags for your duty/off duty guns. Language of the law says it must be in conjunction with your official capacity as LEO. So, a letter is needed for the mags. Only options are get the letter, let em keep your mags, or ship the mags back and try to get low caps from manufacturer.

incorrect. There is no letter needed to purchase large-capacity magazines.

Policy Change Regarding State Exemptions for Authorized Peace Officers

Effective immediately, peace officers who have legislative authority to carry and use firearms may, without a letter signed by the head of their agency or the agency head's designee, purchase non-rostered handguns and/or large capacity magazines. The peace officer must present a valid peace officer identification card and the dealer must retain a copy of the identification card on file. (PC 12132 & 12133). A letter is still required from the head of the agency to exempt the peace officer from the ten day waiting period. (PC 12078). http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/exemptpo.php

In addition, there is no requirement that they be for "duty" use.

here is the exact PC,

12020(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(20) The sale to, lending to, transfer to, purchase by, receipt of, or importation into this state of, a large capacity magazine by a sworn peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her duties.note that there is no limitation that the large-cap be for duty use. Sale of any large-cap mag to an LEO is exempt from the law.

mlatino
08-24-2010, 12:14 AM

You're wrong. She is too.

I don't need a LETTER to state I can own hi-cap mags. All I need is LE ID.

jtmkinsd
08-24-2010, 12:19 AM
woops...when did that policy change come out?

ke6guj
08-24-2010, 12:23 AM
I've seen it on the CADOJ site for at least 3-4 years, IIRC.

jtmkinsd
08-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Guess you can print out the web page and bring that when you go to get your Springfield...of course it's no guarantee they'll still give them to you...if it's a store policy to get the letter it may take a while for them to get up to speed...not saying it's right, but it takes an act of Congress to get some shops to change their policies, no matter what DOJ says

tenpercentfirearms
08-24-2010, 6:46 AM
Taking in a print out of the letter from the DOJ website is about the only way to do it or bite the bullet and ask the chief. Good luck.