PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Upgrade

Curtis
08-23-2010, 9:52 PM
I'm looking at upgrading two home computers to Windows 7. Any suggestions or advice? What price should I expect to pay? Any advice on were to buy would also be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

nick
08-23-2010, 10:05 PM
What's the OS currently on those two computers? Windows XP?

Curtis
08-23-2010, 10:21 PM
I know one is running Windows XP. The other one may be running Vista.

I plan on wiping the entire drive and starting from scratch.

gschoelles
08-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Upgrade Vista, don't wipe if you can help it. Google the XP computer and find out the success of others first. Drivers can be a B**CH

NaughtyMonkey
08-23-2010, 10:29 PM
I've had drivers issues with my laptop Could not get sound to work when I upgraded to Windows 7. The Vista upgrade will be easy, anything that works on Vista will work on Windows 7. Research your hardware and make sure all your hardware is windows 7 compatible. Also for price depends on version of Windows 7 you want.

nick
08-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Make sure the hardware on the XP one (and check the Vista one to be sure) is adequate for running Windows 7 (at least 1GB RAM, 2GB or more preferred, at least 64MB video card, 256 or more preferred, a decent CPU (hint - if it's single core, chances are it's not adequate)). Make sure there're Windows 7 drivers for all your hardware. Make sure you have a DVD drive in each computer.

If the computers are fairly old but still adequate for Windows 7, consider installing an SSD drive. That'll speed it up nicely :)

turbogg
08-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm seriously considering upgrading my Vista OS to Windows 7. How easy is it to DIY, if I'm not super tech savy? My HP laptop computer is about 2-3 years old if that info helps any.

nick
08-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Are you planning to upgrade it, or to wipe it and install Windows 7. Either way, provided you have the drivers ready (or Windows 7 has the drivers for your stuff, at least, for the essentials like your storage controller, your video card, and your network card, you can easily get everything else later if those are in place), it's very easy. They really simplified the installation to the point that it's only a few clicks and most of the decisions are already made for you. Which I kinda hate, but most people might appreciate :)

Corbin Dallas
08-24-2010, 7:41 AM
Upgrade to Win7 will go smoothly if you have Vista, not so much with XP.

Also, as mentioned, make sure you have the minimum requirements on the XP machine to install Win7.

Now, with that said, I ALWAYS recommend a fresh installation of ANY operating system. Save your work and backup what you need to. THEN and only THEN perform a fresh install.

I've started out beta testing W7 back in 07 when I was at HP. We had TONS of issues with Vista and as such, all our PC's were rolled back to XP.

However, I have had some success with much older laptops (read circa 2002) and Windows 7. I just takes a little while to find the drivers online and many of them are vista based.

Currently, all our PC's are on Win7 either 32 or 64 bit and working great.

DiscoBayJoe
08-24-2010, 7:47 AM
Computers are Disposable. In the long run, the best value is to replace vs upgrade.

Unless they are x64 capable procs, you'll be better off giving them away and buying two new x64 W7 Boxes.

Should you decide to plug ahead anyhow with older hardware, Make sure they have 4 gigs of Ram

tacticalcity
08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Can't help you on price. I can say I really like Windows 7. I have my computers connected to TVs in the house, and exploit the advantages of Media Center to an extreme. Over 1000 movies and TV shows on my hard drive, with instant access on large flat screen TVs. I am also a web developer by trade, and find the Windows 7 operating system very easy to use.

2DoorImpala
08-24-2010, 1:09 PM
Windows 7 = <3

Curtis
08-24-2010, 2:05 PM
I have a love-hate relationship with new computers. I hate having to set everything up again, but I love all the new stuff (faster systems, bigger screens). But I have so many system sitting around not being used. I don't want to buy another system if I can upgrade the OS. The main issue with the home systems is the fact they are getting bogged down.

Thanks for all the advice and input.

orangeusa
08-24-2010, 2:17 PM
Windows 7 - if you have hardware older than a couple of years I wouln't do it. It will not install unsigned drivers. Even if you WANT to. Bottom line, you are frocked unless you buy a machine with Windows 7 and compatible harwdare and don't try to install that old webcam (old = >2 year ago). Just one tiny example. Anybody with a fix or longterm workaround for this gets a reward from me!! Don't expect a lot! :) Yes, you can press F8 and do some fiddling around... but not that kind of workaround.

Vista has this insane feature of :
1. When you click on a device - say DVD writer - shows a list of files you LAST burned on that device - even with NO DVD in the drive. Try explaining that to wifey.
2. Windows Explorer does this squirrely thing where it opens and slides the folders on the left around. Just drives me insane.
3. Vista likes to crash - a lot. BSOD, weird slow behavior, you name it.

Other than that the two are complete winners. Seven is much more stable than Vista, but doesn't support any hardware that has not been built in the last two years, IMHO.

Lulfas
08-25-2010, 3:46 PM
I have a love-hate relationship with new computers. I hate having to set everything up again, but I love all the new stuff (faster systems, bigger screens). But I have so many system sitting around not being used. I don't want to buy another system if I can upgrade the OS. The main issue with the home systems is the fact they are getting bogged down.

Thanks for all the advice and input.

Consider just formatting/reinstalling the base windows on the random computers and sell them. Used computers is a pretty good market right now for sellers, because people are afraid to buy brand new computers with the economy. I've been snagging a decent fun-fund buying systems and reselling them. Check out Craigslist, you might find out you can sell 2 systems and buy 1 brand new one.

1 more month of this (bringing me to 4 total) and I should be able to snag a Kimber :D

choprzrul
08-25-2010, 3:57 PM
Download and install Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on your current XP box: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

This will give you a real good idea of potential problem areas. Just last night I upgraded my wife's X2 2.2GHz machine with 2GB of memory from Vista to 7. Running very well now and I am pleased with the process. It pretty well will lead you through the process with no problem.

ZX-10R
08-25-2010, 4:05 PM
Make the move. I was on Vista 64. Windows & is a Godsend.

Corbin Dallas
08-25-2010, 4:20 PM
Windows 7 - if you have hardware older than a couple of years I wouln't do it. It will not install unsigned drivers. Even if you WANT to. Bottom line, you are frocked unless you buy a machine with Windows 7 and compatible harwdare and don't try to install that old webcam (old = >2 year ago). Just one tiny example. Anybody with a fix or longterm workaround for this gets a reward from me!! Don't expect a lot! :) Yes, you can press F8 and do some fiddling around... but not that kind of workaround.

Vista has this insane feature of :
1. When you click on a device - say DVD writer - shows a list of files you LAST burned on that device - even with NO DVD in the drive. Try explaining that to wifey.
2. Windows Explorer does this squirrely thing where it opens and slides the folders on the left around. Just drives me insane.
3. Vista likes to crash - a lot. BSOD, weird slow behavior, you name it.

Other than that the two are complete winners. Seven is much more stable than Vista, but doesn't support any hardware that has not been built in the last two years, IMHO.

Dude, that's not true. You can install unsigned drivers, just have to know how.

Not only that, but your laptop/pc does not need to be newer, I have put Win7 on laptops as old as 2001-2002. Finding the driver might be a bit of a hassle, but I would say 99% of the drivers are backwards compatible anyways.

Vista on the other hand is just a big POS in my book.

I've worked through most of the Vista BSOD and KSOD's you could possibly think of, probably some you never knew existed.

NaughtyMonkey
08-25-2010, 4:28 PM
I agree Vista was and is a failure! XP and Windows 7, even though I like 98 over all of them. If you have a computer with Vista, it WILL run Windows 7, most machines with XP will run Windows 7 as well. Drivers are the main issue, Next to ram amount and Processor speed.

Just like Most machines that have windows 98 or 2000 will run XP but very slow.

Alexthewelder
08-25-2010, 4:31 PM
I know one is running Windows XP. The other one may be running Vista.

I plan on wiping the entire drive and starting from scratch.

If your going to start one from scratch, you cannot use the upgrade version. you need the full retail version. Which one do you need? premium,pro,or ultimate?

I can get you any for a little discount